Tragedy in Turkey and Syria

Bloody awful scenes on the news, 5 storey buildings just crumbling, people crying for their dead families.
Thousands killed, thousands still trapped dead or alive.
A Grandfather could hear his little grand daughters shouting for him by name for help under tonnes of rubble…he could do nothing, they must have died.

Worst thing I saw on there was a little baby being pulled out, still.attached to her dead mother with the umbilical cord…thankfully she survived.
It takes a ■■■■ lot to effect me, but seeing that little girl would bring tears to a glass eye.

I have a Turkish mate who lives locally, he flew out before Christmas,.I rang him to see if he was ok, luckily he was nowhere near, Turkey is a big place.

Heavy concrete multi story buildings in the Mediterranian earth quake zone makes as much sense as light timber framed shacks in Tornado Alley USA.

It is certainly distressing.One town mentioned on the tv is somewhere I remember from my youth running middle east.Iskenderun.Looks pretty much destroyed now.

Carryfast:
Heavy concrete multi story buildings in the Mediterranian earth quake zone makes as much sense as light timber framed shacks in Tornado Alley USA.

130 warrants for arrests,.and counting, for dodgy building contractors.
30000 dead…at least :open_mouth: , up to press.

robroy:

Carryfast:

The issue of American wooden shacks being blown to bits by tornados v concrete tower blocks being shaken down by Turkish etc earthquakes is more an issue of the wrong type of buildings in the wrong places and people then being prepared to risk living in the results.Blaming the builders for it won’t fix that problem in either case.

This is clearly not done yet, with yet more aftershocks, if you can call them that.

I wonder if anyone has weaponized seismic pulses to actually cause such earthquakes?

It must surely be easier to create one politically and actually in an area already prone to such seismic activity, after all…

robroy:

Carryfast:

…I bet none of those arrested - are current government ministers that have rubber stamped stuff off, even if the buildings have been erected during rather than “years before” Erdogan’s regime took power…