Where is the news?

Does any news channel have general news on it :question:

I imagine there is somewhere Rog. I’m curious as to what precisely you were expecting however?

ROG:

A little less insular.

I know what you mean., but what is going on in our country is a once in a lifetime big deal tbf.
The present ott blanket coverage will definitely be taken and used as a good opportunity to ''bury ''a lot of bad and/or embarrassing uncomfortable to hear news, you can sure as hell bet on that…

ROG:

No it doesn’t, sadly. I’ve frequently watch 20 or more minutes of prime-time news on BBC TV only to be fed with speculative news. They often report on absolutely zero news, but spend the whole programming second-guessing what people might do or say. I’ve given up on it. And it’s not just BBC: they all do it. The journalist 1st rule should be: if it hasn’t happened don’t report it! In addition, sports news and celebrity news now make top stories. I’ve always believed they belong in magazine programmes, not mainline news coverage.

robroy:
I know what you mean., but what is going on in our country is a once in a lifetime big deal tbf.
The present ott blanket coverage will definitely be taken and used as a good opportunity to ''bury ''a lot of bad and/or embarrassing uncomfortable to hear news, you can sure as hell bet on that…

King Charles III is 73, it won’t be once in a lifetime for most people alive today

switchlogic:

robroy:

King Charles III is 73, it won’t be once in a lifetime for most people alive today

Exactly.

In fact, William is 40… For many young(ish) people, this may become a “not another one” occasion

the nodding donkey:

switchlogic:

robroy:

Exactly.

In fact, William is 40… For many young(ish) people, this may become a “not another one” occasion

Indeed.

Seems to me thatll be true for *about* half of Williams cohort?
Being wealthy he has a better life expectancy than others of the same ■■■. Being male he has a worse outlook than females.

According to the back of an old ■■■ packet:
About 27m under 40s ? So about 40% of the pop? Assuming (big assumption maybe?) that he dies at the median age? For about-ish 50% of the population of 40yr old or younger, thatll be so.
According to the back of a ■■■ packet, that`ll be about 20% of the current UK pop.

Although mortality doesnt follow a classical normal distribution, maybe it is near enough, to say that about 20% of todays population will see a 3rd death of a ruler?

Open to correction of course.

Franglais:
Indeed.

Seems to me thatll be true for *about* half of Williams cohort?
Being wealthy he has a better life expectancy than others of the same ■■■. Being male he has a worse outlook than females.

According to the back of an old ■■■ packet:
About 27m under 40s ? So about 40% of the pop? Assuming (big assumption maybe?) that he dies at the median age? For about-ish 50% of the population of 40yr old or younger, thatll be so.
According to the back of a ■■■ packet, that`ll be about 20% of the current UK pop.

Although mortality doesnt follow a classical normal distribution, maybe it is near enough, to say that about 20% of todays population will see a 3rd death of a ruler?

Open to correction of course.

I’d guess that it was QE2’s reign which was the extreme rare fluke of fate.
Many of those of us born in the 1950’s have taken that for granted and thereby see the idea of three monarchs in a lifetime, like our parents saw, as being the rarity.
While my Grandmother was a teenager during the reign of Victoria and died around 20 years after QE2’s asseccion.

I wonder how many wish Charles had not taken the crown and become the kings father letting William take the crown :question:
Bet the Americans do …

ROG:
I wonder how many wish Charles had not taken the crown and become the kings father letting William take the crown :question:
Bet the Americans do …

…and disrespect his mother’s wishes that he became king?

ROG:
Bet the Americans do …

IMHO Charles is already doing a good job. He’s doing the right thing and making the right noises as one would expect from an apprentice of his standing! Time will tell

the maoster:

ROG:
Bet the Americans do …

IMHO Charles is already doing a good job. He’s doing the right thing and making the right noises as one would expect from an apprentice of his standing! Time will tell

You mean He’ll do a vocal faux par like his father used to do :laughing: :laughing:

“You’ve lived here how long? And you haven’t got slitty eyes “ :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:

ROG:
Bet the Americans do …

Doing a good job of foisting the climate scam on us when he can afford to heat the palace at £1 per kWh and no doubt he’ll be well away from our version of Chernobyl.

I am with Rog here, no mention of the 4 to 5 hundred dinghy boat people arriving in Dover almost daily, no mention of the 2 policemen getting stabbed in another part of London, no mention of Ukraine, Putin or his trip to China. 9 people arrested and released for killing a 9 year old girl and a very quick glance at her mum reading the eulogy.

Wheel Nut:
I am with Rog here, no mention of the 4 to 5 hundred dinghy boat people arriving in Dover almost daily, no mention of the 2 policemen getting stabbed in another part of London, no mention of Ukraine, Putin or his trip to China. 9 people arrested and released for killing a 9 year old girl and a very quick glance at her mum reading the eulogy.

China land of cheap/slave labour can’t upset them and the dinghies are coming because our government is offering the occupants more than France is.Who knows about the rest but can bet that it didn’t/wouldn’t happen in the Cotswolds or ■■■■■■■■

Wheel Nut:

Did his mother ever do politics?

switchlogic:

robroy:

Must be the only bloke who got to claim his old age pension, before starting his job. :wink: