Why no football

How is carrying on with the football fixtures being disrespectful to HM’s demise.
She loved sport herself as far as I know, so who is to say she would not have preferred things going on as normal,.
If her death had been a tragic accident as opposed to old age natural causes, I suppose it would be appropriate (I see also the racing has been cancelled on the day of her funeral, I ain’t a fan but she certainly was herself.)

On the night of her death West Ham fans filled the stadium with an emotional chorus of ‘God Save the Queen’ as did the opposing foreign team’s fans in unison,.which I thought was a good gesture and tribute …So imo a missed opportunity for sports fans to show the same respect yesterday and today the length of the country.

The ‘12 days of official mourning’ should be looked upon instead as The ‘12 days of celebrating her full life’ , a full itinerary of sport would be appropriate imo.

There’s nothing to stop you, or anyone else missing their regular fix, going out and playing a game of football, is there?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:
There’s nothing to stop you, or anyone else missing their regular fix, going out and playing a game of football, is there?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

:smiley: …Yep…My head agrees with you,.and still thinks (again in my head :smiley: ) I can ‘‘still’’ play like Alan Shearer. :smiley:
However when I try and go back to those days, my legs tell a different story. :blush: :laughing:

You could have watched Eton college.

telegraph.co.uk/football/20 … ens-death/

robroy:
:smiley: …Yep…My head agrees with you,.and still thinks (again in my head :smiley: ) I can ‘‘still’’ play like Alan Shearer. :smiley:
However when I try and go back to those days, my legs tell a different story. :blush: :laughing:

Believe me, I know where you’re coming from. My head still thinks I can rattle off 60+ miles at a brisk pace on my pushbike. My legs (and lungs) think otherwise :frowning:

But as to your original question, the question was already decided (and the discussion almost certainly involved the Queen and other members of the Royal family) several years ago. Had she/they wanted major sporting/racing fixtures to proceed as normal, I have little doubt they would have said so when plans were being made.

I think football was cancelled due to the fact with the likes of Liverpool and Celtic fans who have been booing the national anthem recently so the fa n premier league thought better to cancel than have the Queen disrespected during the minutes silences and that.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

I watched Cornish Pirates v Richmond (Championship Rugby) on Friday night
There was none of the usual music beforehand or for Tries scored in the first half.
The minute’s silence was followed by the British National Anthem with a picture of LIz on the big screen

In the second half, it went back to normal.

A good send-off for her in my opinion.

rearaxle:
I think football was cancelled due to the fact with the likes of Liverpool and Celtic fans who have been booing the national anthem recently so the fa n premier league thought better to cancel than have the Queen disrespected during the minutes silences and that.

you can’t cancel a whole nation’s football fixtures just in case a couple of English-hating club’s might boo…surely! ridiculous cancelling football in my opinion :imp: my village council even cancelled a coffee morning ffs…and a classic car show on the park next Sunday :unamused:
whatever happened to ‘the show must go on’ :angry:

Covid created rafts of unelected “moral guardians” who were/are presumptuous enough to assume that they know what is best for everyone and sadly presented them with the means and ability to cancel events on a whim.

They’re not going to relinquish their imagined power easily.

You better make it clear, in your will Robroy, that you don’t want the national fixtures cancelled or postponed, on your demise.
My team, Townsville Cowboys, got themselves into the semifinals, on Saturday night.

Star down under.:
You better make it clear, in your will Robroy, that you don’t want the national fixtures cancelled or postponed, on your demise.
My team, Townsville Cowboys, got themselves into the semifinals, on Saturday night.

I want to see Newcastle win The Champions League,.and England win The World Cup again before ‘my demise’. :smiley:

(So if both things do happen, I’m expecting to be around for a lomnnnnng time yet :laughing: )

the maoster:
Covid created rafts of unelected “moral guardians” who were/are presumptuous enough to assume that they know what is best for everyone and sadly presented them with the means and ability to cancel events on a whim.

Has Carryfast hacked into the Maoster`s account?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . No mention of the optimum configuration for moral guardianship so I think we’re safe for now.

the maoster:
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: . No mention of the optimum configuration for moral guardianship so I think we’re safe for now.

Dunno.
Loads of uz `airy arsed truckers is concerned with the optimisation of the moral compass commen froughout our industry, innit.

And ■■■■.

carryfast-yeti:
you can’t cancel a whole nation’s football fixtures just in case a couple of English-hating club’s might boo…surely! ridiculous cancelling football in my opinion :imp: my village council even cancelled a coffee morning ffs…and a classic car show on the park next Sunday :unamused:

I think there is a danger of the mourning period carrying on for too long and turning public opinion against the monarchy.

Harry Monk:

carryfast-yeti:

I think there is a danger of the mourning period carrying on for too long and turning public opinion against the monarchy.

3 times as many wanted David Attenborough as the next head of state, as wanted Charles!
yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar … head-state

(Mind you, Farage, Corbyn, Clarkson, and Joanna Lumley all got shouts too)
:smiley:

rearaxle:

I wonder is that the true reason it would make sense, hard to know maybe they were too quick out of the traps as everything else went ahead

the maoster:

IIt’s more invidious than even that. The moral guardians pre-date covid but covid seemed to accelerate their power. The media have adopted their role. Now they don’t even have to cancel events; the organisers self-cancel in fear of being publicly shamed by the press.