Tyre repairs

Just took my car to a tyre place as the tyre kept losing pressure over time. Turns out there was a nail in it, smack bang in the middle of the tread so they repaired it.

Are they good though? They said its fine and is permanent but I’m not sold on it. Any input?

toonsy:
Just took my car to a tyre place as the tyre kept losing pressure over time. Turns out there was a nail in it, smack bang in the middle of the tread so they repaired it.

Are they good though? They said its fine and is permanent but I’m not sold on it. Any input?

Had exactly the same on my MX5 day before yesterday, screw in it. Had it repaired by a reputable local tyre man. I used to do them myself when I worked in a garage, it’s standard practice, permanent and no cause for concern. They fit a mushroom headed plug from the inside, can’t go anywhere.
Bernard

toonsy:

If it’s safe enough for a HGV tyre then it’s ok for a car tyre ,
As long as the screw wasn’t near the edge of the tread and the tyre was serviceable then no problems .
Do not use the tyre GUP to get you home as a good tyre will be scrap as they can’t repair it then

blue estate:

toonsy:

If it’s safe enough for a HGV tyre then it’s ok for a car tyre ,
As long as the screw wasn’t near the edge of the tread and the tyre was serviceable then no problems .
Do not use the tyre GUP to get you home as a good tyre will be scrap as they can’t repair it then

I don’t often give good advice but not using sealer solution for a puncture is good advice. I bought a new car in 2008 and it didn’t have a spare tyre but a little compressor filled with some green sh*te instead. What the car dealer didn’t tell me was it would ruin any tyre it was put in.

blue estate:

Some sealants do make replacement necessary.
Some sealants (Tyreweld among others) are water based, and so can be cleaned off to make a repair possible.

toonsy:

They take the nail out, actually drill a larger hole where it was and use a mushroom shaped patch with a flat wide top. Imagine the stem going up through the hole where the nail was, with the wide top bit against the inside of the tyre. Even if the adhesive fails the air pressure alone would keep the patch pushed against the wall of the tyre and stop it leaking. It’s completely different to a patch on a bicycle inner tube where you’re putting it on the outside and the pressure inside the tube is trying to push it off.

30 odd years of motoring, never had an issue with puncture repairs on cars.

Cool cheers for putting my mind at rest all.

But just be more careful in future :smiley:

toonsy:

So you nailed it and didn’t screw up, well done.

toonsy:

Will be fine. Here is how it is done.

youtube.com/watch?v=gqcbiR7iLVE

And this is why you must be careful.

youtube.com/watch?v=l8zUHasgt0A

Before anyone says I am being racist or giving me grief. Just remember both of the videos show someone skilled at their work.

I always put my family’s safety above saving a few ££££ so would stick a new one on it

dozy:
I always put my family’s safety above saving a few ££££ so would stick a new one on it

Okay, this is a cheap shot. Did you get that advice from your Dad?

dozy:

I’m confident…

That members of your family tamper with your brakes.

Mug.

dozy:

Thats because your a grand a week man for 3 days work, and your a rock hard Bristol fan LMAO

yourhavingalarf:

dozy:

I’m confident…

That members of your family tamper with your brakes.

Mug.[/
Ha ha ha ,

DGSA2:

dozy:

Okay, this is a cheap shot. Did you get that advice from your Dad?

My dad died of leukaemia when I was 19 , my life in them days revolved around getting ■■■■■■ up , football & women , dad was pulling his hair out with courts , my name in papers , embarrassing the family ( though my aunty who was a teacher loved me , had a folder of everything I got upto) rather than whether I had a puncture or not
I carried on for years thinking all that mattered was Me , then after mrs having 3 miscarriages, our boy was still born ,
my girl was born & rushed straight to special care as her kidneys weren’t functioning properly , I spent nights watching her with my mrs willing her to live , praying for her to live ( I’ve never prayed in my life before ) ,
Finally it clicked , life wasn’t just about Me , there was a mrs who after 3 miscarriages/ still born boy / daughter struggling & my little girl needed me to grow up & look after them , my priorities are them being happy / safe / loved , so £100 for a tyre is nothing , I’d ■■■■ that up the wall in a weekend , most weekends .
If you’re happy to have punctures mended good luck to you , if joe bloggs & his mates want to get them mended good luck to them ,
I lost a son , I’ve not seen him grow up , I’ve not been able to play football down the park , go for a pint with him ,I’d often sit on park bench watching dads playing football with there boys and think why not me , so I don’t want to risk loosing my girl , mrs for a £100 or so , to lots I’ve no doubt it’s a wate of money , but to me as I said it’s not , I’d not forgive my self if mending that tyre cost withers life ,.
Nb it’s my girls birthday in a weekish , I’ve spent £1500 on a holiday for her ( I did think that was a lot ) , £500 on a Samsung tablet , paid her car insurance £286 , £250 apx for car to be mot / service , nails / hair etc , clothes / meal , so yes where my girls concerned she’s spoilt ( 32 ) , mrs is the same , tanning / nails / hair / clothes / holidays ( though not so much since covid ) ,
There’s a saying , you don’t know what you had until you loose it , I lost a son , I don’t want to loose mrs / girl
Nb and don’t get the idea I’m some kind of perfect husband , far from it , maybe that’s it as well , I’m trying to make up to my mrs for all those years when I’ve been a nightmare for her , her mums words at our wedding ( she only came for her daughter ) was I was the worst thing that ever happened to her daughter , she hated me , said I was just a ■■■■ artist , she was right ,
Life isn’t easy , I wish I could turn the clock , but you can’t , how ever much I’d loved to , imagine not having spoke to your Bil for 30 yrs , sil the same , nephews , sister 8 yrs , 1/2 sister 35 yrs
Anyway time to put the cider down & say my good nights , I’d love to say I feel better getting 61 yrs off my chest , but I miss my son , love to have seen him grow up

While washing the car a few months ago I found a small screw in the rear tyre, so since I had time to do it I took it off and went to a local garage and asked them to repair it, then I put it back on the car, the car has since done 3-4k miles on that tyre including a 2K mile trip down to the Algarve

peirre:
While washing the car a few months ago I found a small screw in the rear tyre, so since I had time to do it I took it off and went to a local garage and asked them to repair it, then I put it back on the car, the car has since done 3-4k miles on that tyre including a 2K mile trip down to the Algarve

I’ve done the same several times.Nothing wrong with a proper repair at a reputable tyre dealer.Never had a problem.

I repair my motorbike tyres with the sticky string type myself. Never had a problem with them.
Craftyplugger.com

If you are as honestly concerned about your family as you profess to be, Dozy, you’d better get another tyre for the other side. Japan feels so strongly about the safety of replacing tyres, that they have mandated all tyres of an axle have to be replaced simultaneously.
You just can’t be too safe, eh?