Cashless society

took my disabled friend to a local beauty spot/cafe by a canal during the week. couldn’t park as it was by phone only…i don’t have or want a smart phone.so,headed off to a well-regarded garden centre for tea and cake in their cafe…after helping my friend through the garden area and the shops,a fair trek when you can’t walk more than a few steps at a time…and we were refused food as it’s ‘card only sir’. Wightlink are the same…card only,as a lorry driver my fare is paid for me,but i won’t buy anything onboard so ■■■■ 'em.is this what people want? once we go cashless they’ve got us by the balls :frowning:

Interesting article on TCW (Conservative Woman) about this very subject today.

Confess i’ve been lax over the last couple of weeks because busy, but thanks to that article and your post will resume paying cash only.
If they won’t accept cash i will make a point never to give them my business.

Its paying cash that makes you realise just how much things cost and how much work you’ve had to provide to have that cash in your pocket after the govt of the day has pilfered an ever increasing amount before you ever laid eyes on it.
Normally used to take £200 out in cash every week, fill the car up once (to get to work and for shopping, little or no social travel) and that’s halved, by the time you’ve done the weekly shop you are down to small change, you don’t notice it so much when all you do is present a piece of plastic, from which you can be traced, or your phone if you’ve enabled payments on it, from which you can be traced even more accurately.

Speaking of supermarkets, yesterday morning i went into Morrisons for the main shop and then Lidl afterwards for some still affordable butter and Cornish ice cream etc and their delicious Panini rolls, it proved to be quite unexpectedly emotional, really old pensioners in both shops trying to eek out their unfit for purpose pensions by finding the very cheapest of whatever they needed, what sort of first world country have we become when our oldies are getting ever nearer to the stage of rummaging through skips.
Lord above know how these poor buggers are going to heat themselves in the coming winter and still manage to eat, or is part of the great reset getting rid of such people, presumably unworthies in the eyes of the WEF Blofelds and their UK parliamentarian placepeople.

…All this has happened, because our political leaders wish it.

Don’t forget the “Metadata” too, that tracks you, and sends you texts relevant to the shop you are standing/passing outside at that moment.

So much for the notion that “2000 mules” is “debunked”.

Is it F—!

There’s a couple of observations about this chosen inflation policy that I’ve made:

The USD isn’t tanking, it is rising… Almost as much as the Ruble in fact. THAT is not what you’d expect for a currency that is going to be worth less in the near future than it is now.

Also, the price of gold has been going sideways for months. With so many people likely Buying gold right now - as a hedge against inflation - who stands on the other side of these buy transactions so the price ends up going nowhere for months on end now? (trading between $1750 and $2000 per ounce)
Again - NOT what you’d expect if the inflation were real, rather than merely an illusion designed to…

…Wait for it…

Winny’s conspiracy theory #5586153754659022

Inflation makes people spend all their savings, so they are skint, thinking they’ll then get handouts and if they don’t spend it - they won’t be able to buy a box of matches with it by Christmas this year…

Once everyone is skint, and on some kind of universal benefit (close to Corbyn’s “Universal Income” the Public are TOTALLY controlled by the Government. Because if you push back, ask awkward questions, be a refusnik/luddite, vote for “upstart” parties outside the mainstream, or even voice opinions Right of Karl Marx…
Your income can by that point be STOPPED.

We’ve already lost access to the NHS don’t forget…
We’ve likely already lost our pensions too…
How much did our investment houses lose shorting the Ruble recently - Hasn’t been disclosed - has it? Also, how much has our pension fund lost on Bitcoin recently? - No one is talking about it, so it must be quite a scandal there for 10-20 years time when we go to draw our so-called paid-up/gold-plated pensions, only for it to turn out to be “all gone years ago, the perpetrators no longer with the business”…

I reckon we are actually heading for a DEflationary crash, similar to what happened after the Banking Moratorium in the early 1930’s…

Money is worth more… MUCH more - but no one has got any, your neighbor, your friends, your wider family…

“A Recession is when your neighbor loses their commission-only job. A Depression is when You lose Your rock-solid, gold-plated, Unionized Job”.

Money Management - will go a long way from here on.

I’m not seeing any signs of it out there on the streets, but that means the fall (when, rather than if) - will be the more servere from it.

“I wish we’d all been ready”.
L.Norman, 1969

Well Im attending a drivers renunion in Town today and its cash only, My local Club is both, It seems a lot of younger drinkers prefer to pay with their card, And some pay with their phones.

Juddian:
Interesting article on TCW (Conservative Woman) about this very subject today.

Confess i’ve been lax over the last couple of weeks because busy, but thanks to that article and your post will resume paying cash only.
If they won’t accept cash i will make a point never to give them my business.

Its paying cash that makes you realise just how much things cost and how much work you’ve had to provide to have that cash in your pocket after the govt of the day has pilfered an ever increasing amount before you ever laid eyes on it.
Normally used to take £200 out in cash every week, fill the car up once (to get to work and for shopping, little or no social travel) and that’s halved, by the time you’ve done the weekly shop you are down to small change, you don’t notice it so much when all you do is present a piece of plastic, from which you can be traced, or your phone if you’ve enabled payments on it, from which you can be traced even more accurately.
(quote]

I have to agree wholeheartedly, and also add that whenever I’m told “sorry, card only”, I make a point of letting the trader know that they won’t ever be getting any business from me until I can pay by cash or cheque. Likewise for mail order - cheque, postal order or “no thanks”. Yes, I might be biting off my nose, but I’ve managed this way well into retirement, and am happy to carry on that way for whatever time I’ve got left. And I’ve also never had a mobile phone, and no intention of getting one either.

My local is cash only,so I’ve just had to go out for money.
So,probably cost me £2 to draw out my own money.
And I owe the milk woman 2 weeks.

If it was all about just not having to carry around hundreds or thousands of pounds in cash stuffed in my pockets to do business, buy train tickets and buy petrol etc, which can be nicked and/or lost I’d be totally onside with the idea.
But we know that isn’t the end game of the agenda 30 nightmare.

Imagine what happens if you sport no banknotes, but expect to pay for everything via your Iphone - only for it to run out of charge hours into a national POWER CUT, and your family is running hungry, because you don’t have any readies for the local corner shop, regardless of how much you’d be paying through the nose FOR such groceries…

I’d argue that “Cash Money stuffed under matresses” - actually looks rather good right now.

There’s no need to put it in a wheelbarrow, and rush to a hypermarket to stock up on perishable goods - as I reckon we’re being manipulated into doing - is there?

The supermarkets - must be RAKING it in right now!

Where’s the Pasta though?
…The tins - especially things that don’t need cooking/heating up?
…Or even fresh meat such as Mince?

Also, there is a proliferation of “farm shops” popping up… What next? - “Boot Fairs” for Grub??

Do you pay via your Iphone here, or is it cash money on the line, that also has a habit of sliding out of your pocket, if you’re not careful as well…

…And that cash money down the back of your sofa? - £50 and £20 are about to go out of circulation, so again - better dig it up, rather than hoard it.

fodenway:
I have to agree wholeheartedly, and also add that whenever I’m told “sorry, card only”, I make a point of letting the trader know that they won’t ever be getting any business from me until I can pay by cash or cheque. Likewise for mail order - cheque, postal order or “no thanks”. Yes, I might be biting off my nose, but I’ve managed this way well into retirement, and am happy to carry on that way for whatever time I’ve got left. And I’ve also never had a mobile phone, and no intention of getting one either.

My Mrs has much the same philosophy.
As she often says, ‘‘hit them in the pocket’’ it works every time same goes for any business or individuals.

Winseer:
Don’t forget the “Metadata” too, that tracks you, and sends you texts relevant to the shop you are standing/passing outside at that moment.

Has that ever actually happened to anyone in the entire world :unamused:

Sorry guys but I use my debit card all the time and will continue to do so as long as I find it convenient, Google track where I go, Microsoft track what I do, Master Card track what I buy, EE track who I talk to and I still don’t give a toss because plastic/contactless is the way to go :smiley:

I was a bit late coming to the party with a debit card,.up to about 3 years ago, I used to carry a ‘wad’ around every week that would have choked a donkey,.and put '‘Loadsamoney’ to shame.
My daughter used to tell me to get into 21st century. :smiley:

Much more convenient than cash I reckon, and the likes of Wetherspoons you can pay on the app by PayPal etc…got my priorities in life in order. :laughing:
As for cheques :open_mouth: …I’ve never written out a cheque for ■■■■ years, in fact I don’t know anybody who accepts them now tbh.

As for being traced or checked, it’s just the way things are now,.welcome to 1984,.■■■■ all you can do about it,.cameras everywhere, traceable by what you click on to in your phone etc, and all the rest of it.
The genie is out of the bottle, so imo hanging on to trying to keep using something that is much less easier and convenient is a cutting nose off/spite face scenario.

This should renamed the dinasour thread
I’ve got about 20p in my wallet a rearely carry any notes

Interesting thing about the Dinosaurs, (good play on the speeling there BE :sunglasses: ).

Wonder if the human race, as we’ve known it up till now at least, will last as long the Dinos, something tells me not.

Dinosaurs :laughing: some folk can’t see what’s coming :frowning:
Everards have a brand new brewery near to me,daughter took me there Father’s Day for the free pint they were offering to dad’s …we sat down ready to order a meal,only to hear ‘no cash allowed’ so we went elsewhere.on a happier note…our family are going to Hollowell Steam Fair next weekend…and it’s cash only to get in :smiley: woohoo!!

Even with “Card Payments” - there is a huge difference between “Chip n Pin” and “Touch” technology…

Wot happens if you drop your “touch” card in the street, and that account happens to be full of money?

…Can a person pick up the card, go to a personless checkout at a nearby shop, and spend say, £28 over and over without so much as needing to enter a PIN or sign a chit?

“Yep!” around these parts…

I asked my bank to cancel my “touch” card they sent me, and re-issue me with the older-stayle Chip n Pin so that if I drop my card in the street, they will find it rather harder to empty my account with multiple small transactions below retailer’s “floor limit” - not being able to enter a PIN and all.

Those few minutes of grace that permit one to then miss the card, make the call, and have the card stopped - mean that zero losses are liable to the card holder. Banks often don’t cover any spendings against the card between one losing it in the street, and the phone call to cancel that card. It is at the Bank’s discretion, rather than yours to cover any or all losses arising from fraudulent use of the card.

These new plastic banknotes meanwhile - are a pain in the arse, sliding out of pockets when packed into a roll or wad as they do… I only carry such notes when I can put them in a zip-up pocket, having lost at least a tenner and twenty note in the past year alone, rummaging for my car keys, and ending up about to put some petrol in, only to find the anticipated twenty that was in my pocket gone, or (on one occasion) - blowing down the street, with me chasing around a bemused forecourt public trying to get my hard-earned back…

“Always check to make sure you have the means to pay - before dispensing fuel” - which I heed. :neutral_face:

blue estate:

I don’t agree. I keep a good amount of cash available. I will not be surprised that I wake up one fine morning to find the internet is not available to the services I require. All card etc. payments rely on the 'net or phone network (I do not carry a smartphone out of the house preferring an ancient Nokia that is pocket-sized) so for me it is a card or cash. I travel internationally quite a bit and it is not unusual (even in Europe) to find the card payment system is temporarily down. Then it’s “cash rules” or go without!

Dipster:

blue estate:

I don’t agree. I keep a good amount of cash available. I will not be surprised that I wake up one fine morning to find the internet is not available to the services I require. All card etc. payments rely on the 'net or phone network (I do not carry a smartphone out of the house preferring an ancient Nokia that is pocket-sized) so for me it is a card or cash. I travel internationally quite a bit and it is not unusual (even in Europe) to find the card payment system is temporarily down. Then it’s “cash rules” or go without!

Yep,.although I prefer using a debit card, I always carry a 50 quid ‘float’ for emergencies and unforseens.

I just put money into my “spending” account a little at a time to cover day-to-day spending on my (contactless) debit card. There’s never more than £150 or so in there so even if some scrote was able to get hold of my card or card details that’s the limit of my exposure, just the same as carrying cash. Plus I’m unlikely to find my card blown away by the wind, and if that did happen, or I was to drop my wallet down a drain/over the side of a ship/lose it in a vehicle fire/have my bag stolen or any number of other scenarios, I simply contact the bank and get a new card.

I suppose the downside is I’m unable to enjoy that happy feeling you get when you find £20 in the pocket of that jacket you’ve not worn since Aunty Gladys’ funeral…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Try to use anything other than cash on a Blackpool tram & they’ll tell you to bugger off don’t ask me how I know :grimacing:

Dipster:
it is not unusual (even in Europe) to find the card payment system is temporarily down. Then it’s “cash rules” or go without!

Ironically I’ve sat at a deserted unmanned peage station gate for ages being laughed at by passing traffic after the machine took in my card and refused to take payment and return my card.The ‘help’ Comms also ended up in a language stalemate.Not knowing French for the zb thing has taken my card and won’t return it and open the gate.
Eventually after around an hour it relented took the payment opened the gate and returned the card.
I’ve also had my card stopped on the way back from Italy to Calais without enough cash to pay to fill up the Jag.Not once but twice.
First it did it at Kehl luckily the emergency bank phone number reopened it they said it was a security issue because they didn’t believe my card was being used so quickly in the different countries between Italy and France.Then even after that they shut it down again in Northern France and had to go through the whole explanation process again.
It was much easier when tolls and fuel were cheap enough to pay for with cash.