e-coal

Buckstones:

lancpudn:
Being interested in railways from a young age I was surprised to see they’ve been trying out coal substitutes on one heritage railway, One a molasses type briquette & the other a yellow “coal” made from rapeseed :open_mouth: youtube.com/watch?v=KGaP3iCB_XM

I know one of the guys who run our local heritage railway, they are trying various different coal substitutes.
The price of coal has gone up a lot, so the substitutes, though expensive are worth considering.
The emissions are supposed to be lower, the problems arise from burning them in fireboxes designed for coal, the air: fuel ratio for clean combustion is affected by grate-area and firebox shape.

Yeah you’re right! coal is very expensive especially steaming coal, It was around £180/tonne prior to covid, Now they’re looking at between £400-500/tonne with e-coal being around £350/tonne. Each Heritage Locomotive uses on average between 3-4 tonnes/day, I hope they can find a permanent economic way to continue. The green brigade want to close the few coal mines left & want their licences revoked.

There are proposals for the new Euro 7 standards/Fit for 55% standards to include Cement manufacture, Steel manufacture, chemical manufacture & coal mining into the ETS, They’ve always had a “Free pass” with CO2 emissions because of their very nature of high emission manufacture, They want to change that to stop them getting a free ride, The voting is on the 15th June with the Euro 7 standards announcement in July.