Rail strike called

Greedy basta4ds

I know.

How dare they stick together and try to improve their lot.

Be much better if it was an industry full of supine spineless people ready and willing to be walked over like… lorry driving :open_mouth:

SuperMultiBlue:
Greedy basta4ds

Went through your old posts to find when you were complaining about us getting pay increases.

Didn’t find anything, quite the opposite in fact.

Well done to the railmen and women that have an organisation that will look after there own members.

I keep hearing on news in media if go on strike the shelves in the shops will be empty.
Surely there isnt that much frieght that uses railways is there?

edd1974:
I keep hearing on news in media if go on strike the shelves in the shops will be empty.

Maybe but otherwise no one would get ‘‘invested’’ or ‘‘engaged’’ with the news story…

msgyorkie:
Well done to the railmen and women that have an organisation that will look after there own members.

Rail not business company.They can make strike,government give extra billion of pound,increase ticket price.

edd1974:

Perhaps the media themselves should go on strike? No more empty shelves, no more fuel shortages, no more people peeking out of their curtains ready to grass their neighbours up for having the temerity to have their grandkids over.

If only Carlsberg did strikes……

It was their willingness to strike back in the 50s that led to the construction of the Motorways and closure of so many branch lines. They shot themselves in the foot. More work for the lorryists though.

edd1974:

There are frequent trains of oil tank cars running through the Standedge tunnel from Yorkshire to Lancashire. I would suppose if they don’t run some fuel depot will run out and in due course so will filling stations.

No need to point out how dependent road haulage is on fuel, not enough electric trucks or Transit vans, nor horse-drawn carts or steam traction engines (the last category struggles to get coal, too)

Not seen any strikes being called.

Buckstones:

edd1974:

There are frequent trains of oil tank cars running through the Standedge tunnel from Yorkshire to Lancashire. I would suppose if they don’t run some fuel depot will run out and in due course so will filling stations.

No need to point out how dependent road haulage is on fuel, not enough electric trucks or Transit vans, nor horse-drawn carts or steam traction engines (the last category struggles to get coal, too)

I just remembered the Summit tunnel fire in 1984, that was a train of 13 wagons, a million litres (220,000 gallons) of 4-star petrol on its way to a Warrington distribution depot. Drax power station is also supplied by rail.

IF the stoppage is total there will be pressure to sort it at whatever cost to taxpayers and rail users, however unfair this may be to working people not in a position to blackmail the Government/employers.

NB, many years ago I was a union steward and was in the group who negotiated with the company during a dispute. Key advice from the full-time union organiser was not to kill the goose laying the golden egg by pushing for an unsustainable deal as a private company can go bust.

Roads clogged up even more then ffs.

Sent from my SM-T976B using Tapatalk

rambo19:

Its up here, Scotrail drivers arent doing rest day working or overtime. Rail services are finishing in the early evenings, some workers cant get home etc.

alamcculloch:
It was their willingness to strike back in the 50s that led to the construction of the Motorways and closure of so many branch lines. They shot themselves in the foot. More work for the lorryists though.

More down to the post-WW2 economic recovery and the end of petrol rationing I think you’ll find, although the railways had been in decline since the end of WW1.

alamcculloch:

rambo19:

Its up here, Scotrail drivers arent doing rest day working or overtime. Rail services are finishing in the early evenings, some workers cant get home etc.

Indeed, but electing to collectively say ‘no thanks’ to non-compulsory overtime is not a strike. If the rail company in Scotland had recruited sufficient staff rather than rely on goodwill and overtime they wouldn’t now be in the merde. Where have we seen that before, I wonder…?! :smiley:

As for freight, until March 2020 I used to spend about 50min waiting on Nuneaton station one evening per week. There are many such trains, most of which are loaded with containers. A similar story at Peterborough, another station I used to spend a period each week waiting at. Multiple freight trains per hour, mostly containers looking like they were heading from or to Felixstowe.

Eff the train companies and the Department for Transport. The current difficulties are a problem of their making that the taxpayer will now pay handsomely to resolve. Either that, or Rishi will soon be seen in Number 11’s back garden giving the rapidly wilting money tree another good shake.

Harry Monk:

alamcculloch:

More down to the post-WW2 economic recovery and the end of petrol rationing I think you’ll find, although the railways had been in decline since the end of WW1.

There were many factors at play. People like Marples were all for roads ,do some digging and you will see why. The railways should have been modernised as they were in France and Germany. Steam binned off. and an H.S.1 and 2 completed as a priority. The young men doing National Service carrying out pointless tasks could have been the labour force.

Anyone working in the rail industry is already well paid and well rewarded. Unions want to take us back to the dark ages. It’s all part of their yobbish nature to hold the country to ransom. They enjoy it.

Cosmic:
Anyone working in the rail industry is already well paid and well rewarded. Unions want to take us back to the dark ages. It’s all part of their yobbish nature to hold the country to ransom. They enjoy it.

You are just jealous. Funny how many posts there are enquiring about how to get a job driving trains because it is well paid and the terms and conditions are good. There IS a reason for that … and guess what that is? Yes you’ve got it, strong Union membership.

Cosmic:
Anyone working in the rail industry is already well paid and well rewarded. Unions want to take us back to the dark ages.

The dark ages when you could buy a house for three-and-a-half times your salary?

Disgraceful. :wink: