Boxing .

I’ve been laid up at home the last couple of weeks.
Now all the decorating gardening and little jobs are finished, the wife is happy.
I’m now free to watch some Boxing

Who do you rate past and present ?
Few of my favourites from over the years.

Interview with Mike Tyson, Tyson Fury youtu.be/K4NCtBSX-Z0

Rocky Marciano youtu.be/9QpJNIfBJyE

Rocky Marciano interview youtu.be/RFUJ3KDjrlI

Sugar Ray Leonard interview youtu.be/P_ters9eCac

Roberto Duran youtu.be/DM1jLI-MfWQ

Ali youtu.be/SdUI_ujdRQw

Ali & Liston youtu.be/dRYSiXdiwPA

Ewbanks v Benn 1 youtu.be/qj_r6_ollNg

Marciano v Walcott youtu.be/MTh1FbK38kY

I watched Barrera give Prince Naseem Hamed a boxing lesson a few months ago, It was very enjoyable seeing that cocky git get his comeuppance. youtube.com/watch?v=6Zeyte1Vqvk

lancpudn:
I watched Barrera give Prince Naseem Hamed a boxing lesson a few months ago, It was very enjoyable seeing that cocky git get his comeuppance. youtube.com/watch?v=6Zeyte1Vqvk

I thought Naseem Hamed was brilliant, what an entertainer! Hamed came undone with Barrera because he fell out with his trainer, Brendan Ingle a while beforehand, got a new trainer, took his eye off the ball and put on a fair bit of weight- he’s a right fat knacker now- which he had to lose very quickly to get down to weight. To a degree he did also underestimate Barrera and didn’t train well enough for the bout.

Having said that he got $6 million for the fight with Barrera so “getting his comeuppance” is a bit of an abstract concept. :wink:

Harry Monk:

lancpudn:

I thought Naseem Hamed was brilliant, what an entertainer! Hamed came undone with Barrera because he fell out with his trainer, Brendan Ingle a while beforehand, got a new trainer, took his eye off the ball and put on a fair bit of weight- he’s a right fat knacker now- which he had to lose very quickly to get down to weight. To a degree he did also underestimate Barrera and didn’t train well enough for the bout.

Having said that he got $6 million for the fight with Barrera so “getting his comeuppance” is a bit of an abstract concept. :wink:

I couldn’t stand the arrogant p***k, Barrera did his homework & kept moving left which left Hamed open to attack he’d never experienced before, It was heaven watching his stunned look.

One of my other favourite matches was watching Oscar del La Hoya destroy another arrogant P***k Ricardo Mayorga. youtube.com/watch?v=GJ-aC_BZ-hk

I was always more interested in motor sport and boxing is a quick way to hospital with brain damage.But of all the boxers I’d seen since the 1960s I thought Riddik Bowe was one of the best.

I’m no big fan of boxing, but I do sometimes enjoy a good bout on the telly, especially since I don’t frequent the pubs in town anymore, so I’m denied the spectacle of seeing drunks knocking seven bells out of each other. But in this day and age, I still can’t believe that a sport in which the aim is to render your opponent either unconscious, or to inflict so much pain on him that he can’t fight back, is allowed to continue. I would have thought that the nanny state health and safety brigade would have been all over it by now.

lancpudn:
I couldn’t stand the arrogant p***k, Barrera did his homework & kept moving left which left Hamed open to attack he’d never experienced before, It was heaven watching his stunned look.

Showboating has always been a part of boxing, I grew up watching Ali and it was probably the same before that.

It’s as much a mental contest as a physical one. You couldn’t watch this and deny that Hamed was absolutely at the top of his game in his class in the 1990s.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXsTZF1vU6w

Harry Monk:

lancpudn:

Showboating has always been a part of boxing, I grew up watching Ali and it was probably the same before that.

It’s as much a mental contest as a physical one. You couldn’t watch this and deny that Hamed was absolutely at the top of his game in his class in the 1990s.

youtube.com/watch?v=YXsTZF1vU6w

Just watched that Harry you are right Hamed definitely on top of his game.

Carryfast:
I was always more interested in motor sport and boxing is a quick way to hospital with brain damage.But of all the boxers I’d seen since the 1960s I thought Riddik Bowe was one of the best.

I’d forgotten about Riddick Bowe Carryfast, couple of videos below he could punch alright.

Riddick Bowe 10 best K.Os youtu.be/iu-sW2nGOPc

Evander Holyfield v Riddick Bowe 1 youtu.be/AFaSCAKkT7M

use a name:

Carryfast:

I’d forgotten about Riddick Bowe Carryfast, couple of videos below he could punch alright.

Riddick Bowe 10 best K.Os youtu.be/iu-sW2nGOPc

Evander Holyfield v Riddick Bowe 1 youtu.be/AFaSCAKkT7M

Everyone wanted to see and expected Tyson v Bowe but it would inevitably have ended up with one or both in hospital with severe brain damage so obviously couldn’t happen.That was the peak of the sport and if anyone has to go for sport would rather it be by accident and at 200 mph in the TT or late 60s NASCAR or Le Man’s.

Carryfast:

For once I fully agree with CF’s first sentence!

My dad was very keen on boxing and employed a couple of punchy ex-boxers as nobody else would. They were, in reality, only good for sweeping up. Very sad to se a once powerful man diminished thus. Seeing how it had totally destroyed their brain capacity put me off boxing. Now I know a lot has changed within boxing but I still do not like the idea of fighting for fun. Ironically my youngest son is a very keen boxer… Must be his Grandfather’s genes in him.

many years ago my favourite boxer was Danny McAlinden…liked his style of boxing/brawling :laughing: in latter years i loved Thomas ‘hit-man’ Hearns…these days…no one!

carryfast-yeti:
many years ago my favourite boxer was Danny McAlinden…liked his style of boxing/brawling :laughing: in latter years i loved Thomas ‘hit-man’ Hearns…these days…no one!

You are not wrong some style of fighting Danny McAlinden had
youtu.be/QLJhiaqkf_o

Reminded me of this amateur fight youtu.be/n2yPbLHbu8M
Action starts @ 2:15

I love boxing , but when you see Gerald Mcklenan ( I think that was his name ) , American boxer who ended up blind / nearly deaf / crippled & Michael Watson ( again think that was his name , it does make me think is it all worth it , poor souls
A lot of times you do think Chuck the towel in .
In there day , Tommy ( hit man ) hearns or Marvin hagler , Roy Jones , sugar ray leanord , joe Fraser , list just goes on