Brakes are old hat!

Are the car braking system manufacturers about to disrupted in a big way? DS showcases an electric car without brake discs, brake drums, brake shoes/pads that uses two electric regenerative motors instead of conventional brakes. :open_mouth:

“Though regenerative braking is already available in most electric vehicles, the technology is currently used to complement conventional friction brakes – however DS is exploring whether regenerative braking alone could eventually be the sole method to slow cars down”.
I can judge the regenerative braking whereas I only need to lightly dab the brakes on the MG ZS ev to come to a complete stop
It would feel weird getting behind the wheel of a car with no brake pedal though. :astonished: fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa … for-brakes

lancpudn:
It would feel weird getting behind the wheel of a car with no brake pedal though. :astonished: fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufa … for-brakes

I’m sure the regenerative brakes will still be controlled by a brake pedal.

stu675:

lancpudn:

In these computers on wheels you can assign any function to a button on the steering wheel or a voice activated control.

lancpudn:

stu675:

lancpudn:

In these computers on wheels you can assign any function to a button on the steering wheel or a voice activated control.

That’s gonna be fun…

“STOP”
“What shop do you want go too?”

“Nooo, STOP”
“Calling Bob”

“NOOO STOP THE CAR”
“What bar do you want to go too?”

lancpudn:
Are the car braking system manufacturers about to disrupted in a big way? DS showcases an electric car without brake discs, brake drums, brake shoes/pads that uses two electric regenerative motors instead of conventional brakes. :open_mouth:

“Though regenerative braking is already available in most electric vehicles, the technology is currently used to complement conventional friction brakes – however DS is exploring whether regenerative braking alone could eventually be the sole method to slow cars down”.
I can judge the regenerative braking whereas I only need to lightly dab the brakes on the MG ZS ev to come to a complete stop

It’s not a regenerative motor it’s just switching the circuitry to to turn the motor into a generator.The current is then directed into super capacitors because batteries can’t take such massive short term levels of charging.
Good luck with finding space and weight capacity for the required capacitors or the cost.
Any problems with that system obviously no fail safe.

Its kinda nice being a certain age, and living on the outskirts of a market town with all the amenities one needs.

Won’t ever have to entertain any of this junk, when they tax our older real cars off the road, which they will, i’ll cheerfully give up driving and get a taxi when needed or catch the bus for when we do need to venture out and get everything we need delivered.+

No brakes as such? they can do with that jolly wheeze exactly the same as they can do with a steering wheel that isn’t physically connected to the road wheels, shove it.

Carryfast:
It’s not a regenerative motor it’s just switching the circuitry to to turn the motor into a generator.

Have you been reading Donald Trump`s books on engineering?

the nodding donkey:

lancpudn:

stu675:

lancpudn:

That’s gonna be fun…

“STOP”
“What shop do you want go too?”

“Nooo, STOP”
“Calling Bob”

“NOOO STOP THE CAR”
“What bar do you want to go too?”

LOL I should imagine it would be linked into Alexa or Siri or whatever names those virtual assistants go by these days. Those DS designers must have been frothing at the mouth with excitement at the amount of weight they could save deleting all that braking system metalwork from the car.
Another 10-20 miles of range & a second lopped off the 0-60 mph time.

It is many years since I studied Physics, but think a motor can only regenerate if it is rotating, it will provide good retardation from speed but at the last 2 mph not much, so stopping exactly would surely need some other brake system?

Buckstones:
It is many years since I studied Physics, but think a motor can only regenerate if it is rotating, it will provide good retardation from speed but at the last 2 mph not much, so stopping exactly would surely need some other brake system?

If the retardation was coming only from the regeneration effect. I believe you are correct.
Squirting some electric juice in the wrong way at lower road speed would however give a lot of stopping power.
True that wouldn`t be the pure regenerative braking the article is supposing, but it might be a way to do away with friction brakes, if that is a target in itself.
Maybe early trials would have friction brakes, but they might be done away with if not needed?

Couldn’t you gear up the regenerative effect? Say, 100meters regeneration normally gave you a mile of range, gear it up so that one metre gave you miles of range.

stu675:
Couldn’t you gear up the regenerative effect? Say, 100meters regeneration normally gave you a mile of range, gear it up so that one metre gave you miles of range.

Pursue that argument and you will end up with a perpetual motion machine. :smiley:
Changing the gearing will change speed but also change torque. As one increases t`other decreases. The overall amount of energy available will be the same.

Franglais:
… will change speed .

Isn’t that the purpose of brakes? [emoji3]

That’s my point! You’re going along at 30mph, that’s enough to recover 5 miles of range, say, so you have a choice of whether the retardation stops you over 2000 meters or 23 meters.
I think if you stopped over 23 meters it would add 6 miles range, but if you don’t think so, so be it.

Franglais:

stu675:

Pursue that argument and you will end up with a perpetual motion machine. :smiley:
Changing the gearing will change speed but also change torque. As one increases t`other decreases. The overall amount of energy available will be the same.

Harsh acceleration up to the same speed but over a shorter distance and time requires more energy and more use of lower gears to multiply torque.
Theoretically regenerative braking should allow that principle to be reversed.
Also bearing in mind that a generator converts input speed into current which the motor then converts into torque.
To the point where miniaturised turbines turning at massive rpm but with negligible torque output can produce massive amounts of electrical current which is then converted into torque by the electric motor when called for.

stu675:
That’s my point! You’re going along at 30mph, that’s enough to recover 5 miles of range, say, so you have a choice of whether the retardation stops you over 2000 meters or 23 meters.
I think if you stopped over 23 meters it would add 6 miles range, but if you don’t think so, so be it.

Regenerative braking is “energy recovery” or better to think of it as “energy transfer”.

In an enclosed system
You initially change stored electrical energy into movement or kinetic energy by using electric motors.
When slowing you are returning that kinetic energy into electrical energy.
Whether you do that over a short time or in a longer time does not affect the amount of energy there.
You cannot recover more than is there.

In practice, doing it over a shorter time would need a greater current (in any system you have) which would mean greater thermal losses.

Franglais:

stu675:

Regenerative braking is “energy recovery” or better to think of it as “energy transfer”.

In an enclosed system
You initially change stored electrical energy into movement or kinetic energy by using electric motors.
When slowing you are returning that kinetic energy into electrical energy.
Whether you do that over a short time or in a longer time does not affect the amount of energy there.
You cannot recover more than is there.

In practice, doing it over a shorter time would need a greater current (in any system you have) which would mean greater thermal losses.

In theory you can’t get out more energy than you put in.
But we also know that accelerating to the same speed in a shorter distance and time requires more energy.
The same applies to brakes more energy is put into the brakes when decelerating from the equivalent speed in a shorter distance and time.While it’s also possible to decelerate from the same speed without using any braking at all over a long enough distance and time.So there clearly is a connection between energy consumption/generation and the level of acceleration/deceleration.
While putting an ICE into first gear at 70 mph will blow up the engine by over revving it.
In the case of regenerative braking, by reversing an electric motor into a generator, that would obviously just generate more current not over rev the motor.
The problem as I see it is the expense and packaging of sufficient super capacitor storage and creating the required brake bias front to rear to account for the forward weight transfer and having no mechanical backup system which would defeat the object anyway.

stu675:

lancpudn:

It makes you wonder how it would work if you set out with a fully charged traction battery pack though! If the battery pack is 100% full then there will be nowhere to store that regenerative energy, My MG ZS ev when fully charged wont regenerate any energy back into the pack until it’s used up around 4-5%. It’s caught me out a few times as I very rarely charge it to 100%, The regenerative braking doesn’t work & I’ve had to use the brake pedal at the last minute :open_mouth:

lancpudn:
It makes you wonder how it would work if you set out with a fully charged traction battery pack though!

Unless you live on top of a hill…

The electricity used to accelerate the vehicle, will leave enough of a hole, to be replaced by the electricity generated in slowing the vehicle.

stu675:
You’re going along at 30mph, that’s enough to recover 5 miles of range, say, so you have a choice of whether the retardation stops you over 2000 meters or 23 meters.

Id suggest dont think of it as a gain in range: think that the electricity used to accelerate the vehicle from rest to a speed, is then replaced when slowing the vehicle from speed to rest again.

Franglais:
[think that the electricity used to accelerate the vehicle from rest to a speed, is then replaced when slowing the vehicle from speed to rest again.

That would obviously mean that the rate of acceleration and deceleration are equal.
It takes more energy and fuel to accelerate to the same speed at a faster rate Obviously same applies vice versa.
By that logic short shifting upshifts and using light throttle applications to create a slower rate of acceleration uses less energy to reach the same terminal velocity.
So using low gearing to spin up a motor been switched to a generator, faster, thereby creating a higher rate of deceleration from that same speed, should theoretically work in reverse ?.