BBC TV licence!

Is the BBC TV licence about to be consigned to history? The government are expected to announce the scrapping of the BBC licence fee in the Queens speech.
Good riddance if you ask me.

lancpudn:
Is the BBC TV licence about to be consigned to history? The government are expected to announce the scrapping of the BBC licence fee in the Queens speech.

They do want to scrap it as it’s no longer relevant for TV given most people use streaming services and catch up TV these days. Having said that even if it does her scrapped it won’t be for a while yet.

The current charter is valid until 31st Dec 2027 so still money to be paid for a licence until then at least.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

And be careful what you wish for as there is talk of it being part of the council tax and higher bands paying more for it, so it may well still end up not free. We will have to see what route they make the BBC go down, or they may just renew the charter and allow the BBC to take money off people for channels they don’t even own or run yet you still need a BBC licence to watch.

simcor:

lancpudn:

They do want to scrap it as it’s no longer relevant for TV given most people use streaming services and catch up TV these days. Having said that even if it does her scrapped it won’t be for a while yet.

The current charter is valid until 31st Dec 2027 so still money to be paid for a licence until then at least.

I was hoping it would be immediately like when they put the price of fuel up at the pumps. :imp: It must be over 20 years since I switched the telly on, Missus still watches all that ■■■■■ they call entertainment.

We, like many, have given up on mainstream media completely, so licence cancelled.

The sacred cow that is the BBC state broadcasting empire must be kept going, so they’ll add just the cost to another tax or two so even those who wouldn’t watch the rubbish under any circs continue to pay for it.

Juddian:
We, like many, have given up on mainstream media completely, so licence cancelled.

The sacred cow that is the BBC state broadcasting empire must be kept going, so they’ll add just the cost to another tax or two so even those who wouldn’t watch the rubbish under any circs continue to pay for it.

Translates as too many people are voting with their wallets by not paying it so they are going find a way of closing that loophole.Council tax is the obvious solution for this theiving dictatorship masquerading as an elected government.
Ironically I do pay it because don’t want to be lumbered with the choice of streaming and catch up TV only.