Future car insurance

Is this the future of car insurance? Tesla has started to use real time data to insure their cars by the month, It has a scoring system to determine whether you are a safe driver or bad driver but unlike the insurance company “black spy box” the new breed of electric cars have so many more parameters.

With automatic emergency braking systems it only needs a pedestrian or cyclist to dart out in front of the car which the radar registers a ‘Forward Collision Warning’ & if you swerved to avoid them that would be deemed as aggressive driving , Likewise travelling too close to the car in front or heavy braking. That would screw up your monthly safety score upping your premium for that particular month. I wonder how long it will be before the laws are changed & the car will issue you with a Penalty Charge Notice :open_mouth: electrek.co/2022/04/18/tesla-la … qus_thread

As long as it remains a choice which insurance pricing model you choose then there isn’t a problem.
The new model is likely to be cheaper for everyone to begin with, then the history of driving habits and claims will build up. You could have the emergency brake assist activate several times a day, but so long as you don’t have accidents then your premiums may not increase. If you plan to speed everywhere, treat red lights as advisory, and watch the G meter on every bend, like me, but still not crash, then you might have to hope that the traditional flat rate pricing survives.

stu675:
As long as it remains a choice which insurance pricing model you choose then there isn’t a problem.
The new model is likely to be cheaper for everyone to begin with, then the history of driving habits and claims will build up. You could have the emergency brake assist activate several times a day, but so long as you don’t have accidents then your premiums may not increase. If you plan to speed everywhere, treat red lights as advisory, and watch the G meter on every bend, like me, but still not crash, then you might have to hope that the traditional flat rate pricing survives.

There’s a local junction I use regular that has a very sharp right turn to the halt sign, Someone parks a car on the pavement right before the sharp bend & my MG ZS EV AEB system comes on as the radar thinks I’m going to rear end it, I’d get a bad score for that :frowning:

lancpudn:

stu675:

There’s a local junction I use regular that has a very sharp right turn to the halt sign, Someone parks a car on the pavement right before the sharp bend & my MG ZS EV AEB system comes on as the radar thinks I’m going to rear end it, I’d get a bad score for that :frowning:

Yes, there are lots of these places. Chevrons on bends. Keep left arrows on islands that can fool the “advanced” brake warning/activation. My point is the insurance system would surely have to accept an element of those if they happen to everyone yet they still don’t crash.

How many of us are going to be able to afford a Tesla ( though I guess most are leased ) , I doubt you’ll get that technology in a Ford etc ,
We looked in a new fiesta st , no fog lights , that decision isn’t for safety , it’s cost , so yes you may get all this stuff in a Tesla , new Audi , porche , but I can’t see your run of the mill type car having it

not many new cars even have a spare wheel ?/

syramax:
not many new cars even have a spare wheel ?/

My girls original fiesta st had one , so when she got a new st I took it out her original one & put it in the new one , it’s now in her fiesta vignale
But yes your right , there wasn’t one in the new st we looked at , but it’s on the extras list
But I guess it’s like my 1/2 brother who has a Tesla x , when you ask what that’s cost him , I’m lost , it’s some scheme through the company , so apparently cost him next to nothing , guess that’s what life’s like when your a boss , but the normal man in the street , lorry driver isn’t going to buy a new Tesla ( or ive never seen one in a car park yet ) ,

For all its high tech, does a Tesla keep you that much safer?

bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris … ng-6905651

It’s like all this new technology, if you want to have it be prepared for the bills they tend not to wax too lyrical about that will accompany it.

Chap on car forum i use, brake light out, 21w bulb £1.10? not a hope, LED unit sir that’ll be £340.
Anyone here own a car with the new really high tech self dipping LED headlights as fitted to Audi/BMW and no doubt others, you can shove another zero on the above price for one headlight unit on the worse offenders.

Juddian:
It’s like all this new technology, if you want to have it be prepared for the bills they tend not to wax too lyrical about that will accompany it.

Chap on car forum i use, brake light out, 21w bulb £1.10? not a hope, LED unit sir that’ll be £340.
Anyone here own a car with the new really high tech self dipping LED headlights as fitted to Audi/BMW and no doubt others, you can shove another zero on the above price for one headlight unit on the worse offenders.

It’s nothing new - twenty years ago I was working in the garage at my employers, maintaining their fleet of lorries and trailers. One day one of the directors called in and asked me to put him a new bulb in the n/s front sidelamp of his BMW 520i. I had to practically dismantle the front end of the car to get at it. When I phoned the local BMW dealership to ask whether there was an easier way of doing it, and told them it had taken me two and a half hours, their mechanic asked me how i’d managed it so quick - they booked four hours for the same job, at £40 per hour, plus bulb at 70p retail.
At the time, I thought how stupid that was when by law in Continental Europe at the time (probably still?) you had to carry a full set of bulbs for your vehicle. What’s the use when it would take a dealer half a day to change the thing?
If that’s the case, it should become an international construction standard that it should be possible for any mandatory bulb to be able to be changed (by the driver) using nothing more technical than a screwdriver within a couple of minutes.

It used to be a legal requirement in Spain to carry spare bulbs for all lights but due to the difficulty in some cases ,the rule has fallen by the wayside.The law was strictly enforced too.I once had a headlight go supernova and pop about half a mile from a police check.The officer saw what had happened and said fix it.New bulb on a Daf 3300 took less than 5 mins and i was on my way.A colleague with a Fiat was less lucky.He dismantled a large part of his truck.

njl:
For all its high tech, does a Tesla keep you that much safer?

bristolpost.co.uk/news/bris … ng-6905651

Yes

“The elderly driver smashed the vehicle through the store but managed to escape any injuries”

So long as you’re inside, not outside.