Autonomous car pulled over by police

Oh! dear The sign of things to come? The GM cruise autonomous vehicle was pulled over by police because of no lights on at night time. I thought these autonomous vehicles would signal the redundancy of traffic police as autonomous cars are programmed to adhere to all traffic laws.
There needs to be a complete new set of rules for these vehicles as to who will be legally liable as you cant have the currant system for enforcing traffic laws for the new world order of autonomous vehicles. :open_mouth:

electrek.co/2022/04/10/gm-cruis … -responds/

lancpudn:
Oh! dear The sign of things to come? The GM cruise autonomous vehicle was pulled over by police because of no lights on at night time. I thought these autonomous vehicles would signal the redundancy of traffic police as autonomous cars are programmed to adhere to all traffic laws.
There needs to be a complete new set of rules for these vehicles as to who will be legally liable as you cant have the currant system for enforcing traffic laws for the new world order of autonomous vehicles. :open_mouth:

They are a huge white elephant and will go the way of Smart Motorways. Every single electronic device I’ve ever owned has gone wrong at some point- even if only briefly. Such an occurrence isn’t allowable in an autonomous car.

It will be a disaster - and quickly consigned to the same fate of many other silly ideas.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:

lancpudn:

They are a huge white elephant and will go the way of Smart Motorways. Every single electronic device I’ve ever owned has gone wrong at some point- even if only briefly. Such an occurrence isn’t allowable in an autonomous car.

It will be a disaster - and quickly consigned to the same fate of many other silly ideas.

I must admit they don’t fill you with confidence with today’s tech, The UK government have ongoing consultation about autonomous cars & are paving the way for self driving cars on UK roads, europe.autonews.com/move/jaguar … ngineering

Truckulent:

lancpudn:

While you have a point, we still manage to kill about 1,500 people and seriously injure another 20,000 every year on our roads - the vast majority of them due to failures and shortcomings in good old homo sapiens v1.0. Maybe we should actually be thinking more of getting the human-controlled ones off the road instead?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

lancpudn:

While you have a point, we still manage to kill about 1,500 people and seriously injure another 20,000 every year on our roads - the vast majority of them due to failures and shortcomings in good old homo sapiens v1.0. Maybe we should actually be thinking more of getting the human-controlled ones off the road instead?

Just requires more diligent testing - and training.

Humans control aircraft too (they’re there to sort it when the tech goes wrong) and they don’t crash or kill folk on a regular basis.

It’s all in the training.

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

lancpudn:

Humans control aircraft too (they’re there to sort it when the tech goes wrong) and they don’t crash or kill folk on a regular basis.

Truckulent:

And there’s the rub - it would be entirely impractical (and unacceptable to the vast majority of the population) to require the necessary training and refreshers to get and keep all drivers at the standard required to stop the random killing and maiming. Even then it wouldn’t be enough because you’d still have the aggression, showing off and general ■■■■■■■■■■■■ plus the significant number of drivers who still couldn’t drive to a good standard even if you trained them full-on for 8 hours a day every day. So we tolerate the “human failings” that kill or seriously injure 10s of thousands on UK roads every year.

But if just a very occasional failure of the technology of autonomous vehicles should result in casualties, the whole idea is consigned to the scrap heap?

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

lancpudn:

Case closed.Humans are superior and brighter.Weve also got a survival instinct combined with better intelligence.No automated machine has that.Not much use when the computer programme trump’s the pilots inputs.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … urney.html

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

Roymondo:

Truckulent:

lancpudn:

Truckulent:

And there’s the rub - it would be entirely impractical (and unacceptable to the vast majority of the population) to require the necessary training and refreshers to get and keep all drivers at the standard required to stop the random killing and maiming. Even then it wouldn’t be enough because you’d still have the aggression, showing off and general [zb] plus the significant number of drivers who still couldn’t drive to a good standard even if you trained them full-on for 8 hours a day every day. So we tolerate the “human failings” that kill or seriously injure 10s of thousands on UK roads every year.

But if just a very occasional failure of the technology of autonomous vehicles should result in casualties, the whole idea is consigned to the scrap heap?

Not really. A lot of folk wouldnt pass the tests. Which would dramatically reduce traffic and cut accidents.

Autonomous cars will never work. There are too many things that can (and will) go wrong, with them and the infrastructure they will require.

They will be yet another huge waste of public money trying to put the infrastructure in place.

In the meantime the NHS is crumbling, social care is almost non existent and education is on its knees. Businesses are struggling and the entire country (world) will take years to recover from the response to the pandemic.

There are more important things to spend the money on.

They’ll end up digging up the entire road network to install 5G V2X monitoring sensors and place them in every bit of road furniture like traffic lights,road junctions, road surface, lamp posts etc to monitor them. Mixed traffic situations with older cars will be interesting if they’re not banned from roads before then.
It begs another question! When autonomous cars comes about would you buy one that has no steering wheel or pedals? I couldn’t really see the point of owning a car that you couldn’t drive yourself.

lancpudn:
? I couldn’t really see the point of owning a car that you couldn’t drive yourself.

Have you never used a taxi?

stu675:

lancpudn:
? I couldn’t really see the point of owning a car that you couldn’t drive yourself.

Yes I’ve used a taxi, Never owned one though.

lancpudn:
They’ll end up digging up the entire road network to install 5G V2X monitoring sensors and place them in every bit of road furniture like traffic lights,road junctions, road surface, lamp posts etc to monitor them. Mixed traffic situations with older cars will be interesting if they’re not banned from roads before then.
It begs another question! When autonomous cars comes about would you buy one that has no steering wheel or pedals? I couldn’t really see the point of owning a car that you couldn’t drive yourself.

I’m only very slowly grudgingly accepting auto transmissions at least when outweighed by the upsides of a 500 hp + V8 together with the comfort of a proper Range Rover.Unfortunately can’t afford to buy one.
As for an autonomous vehicle might as well use a four wheeler mobility scooter with weather protection and trains.
However the money says to me that proper cars are here to stay for at least as long as I’ve got left.But ironically doubt if I’ll ever be able to afford my favourite 2019/20 model Range Rover though as part of that.

lancpudn:

stu675:

lancpudn:

Yes I’ve used a taxi, Never owned one though.

That would be called a chauffeur.