Would you buy a Tesla out of warranty?

One Finnish chap got pee’d off with his out of warranty Tesla model S after the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, Tesla wanted €20k for a new traction pack so this chap said on yer bike, Took it to a quarry & blew it to smithereens with 30kgs of dynamite :open_mouth: :open_mouth: insideevs.com/news/555501/2013- … -dynamite/

I would not buy a Tesla. You can’t buy spares apparently, repairs must be done by dealers. There are several vloggers on YouTube who recount the hassles they have had trying to DIY a Tesla.

Also to quote from a recent BBC news report:

“Tesla collects detailed data from the sensors and cameras on its vehicles and has used such information in the past to challenge claims that accidents were caused by malfunctioning technology.”

It follows an accident in Paris. So Tesla play big brother to all Tesla drivers. I wonder if other car companies (electric or ICE) do?

So I do not think I would want to be associated with such a company.

Dipster:
“Tesla collects detailed data from the sensors and cameras on its vehicles and has used such information in the past to challenge claims that accidents were caused by malfunctioning technology.”

I dont see much wrong with that. Why should a company pay under warranty for an incompetent driver? Its a bit like an insurance scam, where the innocent subsidize the wrong uns, isnt it?
If a car breaks because of manufacturing faults then cough up, of course, but if it`s driver fault then why up the price we all pay to cover the cheats?

Am I missing summat?

Franglais:

Dipster:

I dont see much wrong with that. Why should a company pay under warranty for an incompetent driver? Its a bit like an insurance scam, where the innocent subsidize the wrong uns, isnt it?
If a car breaks because of manufacturing faults then cough up, of course, but if it`s driver fault then why up the price we all pay to cover the cheats?

Am I missing summat?

Perhaps. How far does the overview go? Conversations in the car monitored perhaps? Present cars can download all vehicle use history by interrogating the ECU. But, I presumed, only should you wish that to happen. Thus accident investigations can, if necessary, look at history.

But this real-time oversight might go much further than that. And I doubt Tesla or any other manufacturer will tell you. I am not at all sure this is a good thing especially as some owners seem unaware it is happening.

Dipster:

Franglais:

Dipster:

Am I missing summat?

Perhaps. How far does the overview go? Conversations in the car monitored perhaps? Present cars can download all vehicle use history by interrogating the ECU. But, I presumed, only should you wish that to happen. Thus accident investigations can, if necessary, look at history.

But this real-time oversight might go much further than that. And I doubt Tesla or any other manufacturer will tell you. I am not at all sure this is a good thing especially as some owners seem unaware it is happening.

I do agree there needs to be limits.
Driver input for warranty claims seems OK to me, but other data? Probably not.

Not buying any electric car, whoever makes it, when they’ve finally taxed us menials off the roads i’ll be happy just to get the odd uber to where i want to go that’s beyond dog walking range and spend my money on things that are not taxed or attract minimal rate.
Haven’t done as bidden by the apparatchiks running the country into the toilet so far, see no reason to change the habits of a lifetime.

Wouldn’t buy any modern expensive car out of warranty.
The things are an economic write off as soon as anything predictably major goes wrong with all the unecessary electronics or the stupidly complicated multi valve variable valve timing engine and/or the no option auto transmission.
It’s a vicious circle of impossible maintenance costs causing basket case depreciation making those maintenance costs even more unecomomic.
There are some exceptions that prove the rule such as around 5 years old guaranteed low mileage ( difficult to prove ) and manual transmission and full main dealer service history including expensive engine maintenance work like timing components.
While luckily I’ll be long gone when it’s the option of a used Tesla etc or nothing.
Although more worried that they’ll ban all car use, as I knew it, before that.

Franglais:

Dipster:

Am I missing summat?

Apart from the idea that the tech isn’t intended outwardly for such a purpose or that you’re legal claim based on what you can afford to pursue will be litigated out of existence because Tesla can afford to… and possibly can’t afford NOT to?

Yes, you’re missing something

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Tesla make good motors with less moving parts so are more reliable.
That being said… They act like apple with their iPhones acting like only they can repair them.

So no I would not buy a Tesla.
I would consider leasing one though.

adam277:

youtube.com/watch?v=UsuYxFBHsiQ

Carryfast:

adam277:

I wouldn’t have one of these hateful pieces of ■■■■ in a gift, but it seems many virtue signalling middle class types are, and what mugs they are…

bigstraight6:

Carryfast:

adam277:

I wouldn’t have one of these hateful pieces of [zb] in a gift, but it seems many virtue signalling middle class types are, and what mugs they are…

Lithium battery fire today nuclear power station meltdown tomorrow.

youtube.com/watch?v=J6eS6JzBn0k

Carryfast:

adam277:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPToAvwo4W0

adam277:

Carryfast:

adam277:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPToAvwo4W0

youtube.com/watch?v=QR2Qlqot0Ik 0.20

adam277:
That being said… They act like apple with their iPhones acting like only they can repair them.

I think you’re right about leasing, I read a lot of people are going in that direction because of the high price of electric cars & the anxiety of being stuck with huge repair bills out of warranty.

Blimey! Tesla are in the news again for the wrong reasons, They seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a big end of year push to get deliveries out, They’re putting battery traction packs manufactured in 2017 into new 2021 cars which means they have a 12% degradation because of the age of these packs :open_mouth: electrek.co/2021/12/20/tesla-st … -new-cars/

lancpudn:
Blimey! Tesla are in the news again for the wrong reasons, They seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for a big end of year push to get deliveries out, They’re putting battery traction packs manufactured in 2017 into new 2021 cars which means they have a 12% degradation because of the age of these packs :open_mouth: electrek.co/2021/12/20/tesla-st … -new-cars/

Not the best plan I would have thought. Quoting the site you linked to it would appear that Tesla don’t want to answer difficult questions!

“It’s hard to know why without Tesla disclosing it, but the automaker doesn’t accept questions from the press anymore.”

Ready to spend your hard-earned cash on a Tesla? Not me.

adam277:

Tesla has a total monopoly on repairing or who repairs their cars. Quite a few people have found out the hard way that self repair or by unlicensed garages results in that car being blocked from Tesla’s super charger network & not only that, They block it from using any other networks DC fast charging via a OTA (over the air) software update.

This leaves that car only able to charge on the EVSE trickle charger that came with the car which can take between 30-44 hours to fully charge or a type 2 AC 7kw charger which will take 11-15 hours to charge.

lancpudn:

adam277:

Tesla has a total monopoly on repairing or who repairs their cars. Quite a few people have found out the hard way that self repair or by unlicensed garages results in that car being blocked from Tesla’s super charger network & not only that, They block it from using any other networks DC fast charging via a OTA (over the air) software update.

This leaves that car only able to charge on the EVSE trickle charger that came with the car which can take between 30-44 hours to fully charge or a type 2 AC 7kw charger which will take 11-15 hours to charge.

Yea, it ■■■■■.
Hopefully Honda/Toyota will start making comparable vehicles with similar ranges as they have always been quite consumer friendly with quite good access to parts.

lancpudn:

adam277:

I think you’re right about leasing, I read a lot of people are going in that direction because of the high price of electric cars & the anxiety of being stuck with huge repair bills out of warranty.

As opposed to huge and unexpected end of lease mileage and ‘condition’ bills.
The truth is we generally don’t expect a more than 5 years life expectancy from any electrical appliance why should an EV be any different.
In which case the depreciation rate will make the leasing idea unviable like all the rest of this nuke and lithium fuelled utopia.