French fishermen blockade Channel

youtube.com/watch?v=5uyHeuC64l0
independent.co.uk/news/worl … 64706.html

What’s your thoughts on this?
I do have sympathy with the French fishermen. They are clearly in the middle of some politcal game between the French and English.
That being said blocking trade to a foreign country is a bit much.
I also do not think they have a automatic right to fish in UK waters.

Either way the politcal BS involving Macron and BoJo is getting tedious. Macron comes across as a thin skinned idiot who thinks too much of himself. BoJo just quite often seems ignorant on the complexities of the situation.

I’ll admit…

That I have little to no understanding of the current rules and regs, permits regarding fishing.

But, if the water around our shores is ours, therefore surely whatever swims in it is ours too? If someone from another country wants the fish that do their business in our waters then, they can ask, pay a fee (or whatever) and fish. If they don’t want to pay then naff off. If the fish they want, isn’t in their own waters, then they can’t have it. If I go to the butchers and he hasn’t got sossiges, I can’t have sossiges can I.
If the fishing industry is unable to adapt to lower fish-stocks, falling demand for fish or disputes over fishing grounds then, like any other business, it must change to the new markets and parameters or face extinction.
That’s how most businesses work (except football which is a complete law unto itself when it comes to finances).

includes fun typo

Well I see no problem.
The Brexiteers told us we no longer needed a trade deal with the EU, so if trade links are cut with the EU we will simply trade with our new partners.
New Zealand will send us enough wine to keep us happy over Christmas won’t they?

After all they need us more than we need them, and this will prove it. Europe will be on it’s knees soon.

yourhavingalarf:
I’ll admit…

. If I go to the butchers and he hasn’t got sossiges, I can’t have sossiges can I includes fun typo

You might be better going for sausages, what you want, i.e. Sossiges, do not even exist :smiling_imp:

It will only be the posh who bemoan the loss of French wine. There are plenty of other wine producing countries, who significantly don’t have their noses so far up their fundamental orifices about their wine, and who produce a quality product at an affordable price. As for the fishing licences, it wouldn’t be a surprise to find that the ones doing the most shouting about being frozen out, since they can’t prove to have been fishing in the relevant waters during the qualifying period, turn out to be based in the Mediterranean; they are Frogs after all.

Rick B:

yourhavingalarf:
I’ll admit…

. If I go to the butchers and he hasn’t got sossiges, I can’t have sossiges can I includes fun typo

You might be better going for sausages, what you want, i.e. Sossiges, do not even exist :smiling_imp:

Always read the small print

Franglais:
Well I see no problem.
The Brexiteers told us we no longer needed a trade deal with the EU, so if trade links are cut with the EU we will simply trade with our new partners.
New Zealand will send us enough wine to keep us happy over Christmas won’t they?

After all they need us more than we need them, and this will prove it. Europe will be on it’s knees soon.

Is that what Brexiteers really said?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Ten minute vid anyone? Made 3 weeks ago and does explain a bit about the licences, paperwork issues and the tactics used by politicians on both sides.
youtu.be/ipLgtcWT1xs

Re Licences.
A deal was struck and signed.
French boats fish in UK waters, UK boats fish in French waters. The logic of such is lost in the past, but that has been going on for years. UK produce is often sold in France and vice verca. Boats often land catches in foreign ports. Fish often migrate without the relevant paperwork. (Who would have guessed?)
As part of the withdrawal agreement (aka oven ready etc etc) French fishers would get new licences so they could continue as before*.
So far so good.

Re “The Paperwork”
After the deal, the UK decided what papers would be required to obtain said licences. Being a rush deal (aka oven ready) the details were left open. The papers being asked for seem excessive to the French.
It seems that two or three man, privately owned, fishing boats dont have the same paperwork trail as a big fleet boat owned by a company. Whod have guessed?

*Don`t start shouting “they should all be banned forever” at me. This is a Johnson deal, he signed it.

This is a Johnson deal - he signed it.

As did Macron.

And the deal provided for the continuation of historical rights. If you can’t prove you historically enjoyed those rights…ah well.

Franglais:
Well I see no problem.

Ah bless, if french fishers refuse to pay licences and don’t fit their vessels with tracker technology to show where they actually cast their nets. It must be because of brexit!
PS, I thought that the brexit deal was bad for English fisheries and good for EU ones, as all I saw from the post agreement comments was, ‘thanks for the fish’. So whats the problem.

Monkey241:

It is all on the internet. Go and look it up.

I believe Sossiges is a norwegian dish.

Who will be the first to say something like “they wernt so keen on blockading the bloody jerries…”

Franglais:

Monkey241:

It is all on the internet. Go and look it up.

Except it isn’t is it?

Some Brexiteers said…but ‘the’ infers something totally different.

Not for the first time do you use inaccurate language to demand that your version of the truth is THE truth.

THE Brexiteers in government (also known as SOME Brexiteers) worked very hard for a deal - one that some Remainers suggested that a - we’d never get and b - would destroy the economy

JeffA:
I believe Sossiges is a norwegian dish.

Who will be the first to say something like “they wernt so keen on blockading the bloody jerries…”

You [emoji1787]

But to be fair it’s a broadly accurate picture. When you have complete French formations walking into captivity accompanied by the huge personal baggage of officers, it is suggestive that there was more left to give

I thought I’d get in early…

I sometimes click on threads like this and follow them right to the end. When I see Franglais is involved, not so much[emoji849]. It tends to get tedious and boringly predictable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOG47:
When I see Franglais is involved, not so much[emoji849]. It tends to get tedious and boringly predictable

He sometimes is on a par with Carryfast with the tedious smoke and mirrors.

^^^

Are you sure its not because he wont “kneel before Zog” and blindly accept whatever tory/david icke briefed that day?

JeffA:
^^^

Are you sure its not because he wont “kneel before Zog” and blindly accept whatever tory/david icke briefed that day?

No… its largely because of his disingenuous language [emoji6]

May I suggest James Barr’s “A line in the Sand” to those who may be interested in why the British and French (political establishments) hate one another and will do _absolutely anything_in order to obstruct/defeat the other. Moving slightly past its main era, but the book will make clear how it really is a pity that Edward Fox missed.