Johnson Beats Fish Ban

Good to see that the Gov are fighting the EU in the fish wars. Supplies are still getting through to the UK.
bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-59141394
Rumours that an MP trousered a brown envelope to fix the luggage handlers are doubtless unfounded. But even if they are founded, they will have a vote to change the rules, so it’ll all be fine.
When the present (and respected) monarch dies, will we all be planting banana trees?

Franglais:
Good to see that the Gov are fighting the EU in the fish wars. Supplies are still getting through to the UK.
bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-59141394
Rumours that an MP trousered a brown envelope to fix the luggage handlers are doubtless unfounded. But even if they are founded, they will have a vote to change the rules, so it’ll all be fine.
When the present (and respected) monarch dies, will we all be planting banana trees?

Funny ain’t it?

With the French govt threatening retaliation over fish licences, the BBC visited a French port where British vessels land most of the fish sold … and the locals were kicking off over the govt threatening their livelihoods.

Not the propaganda you’d hoped for.

(Despite Brexit yada yada)

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

As someone with at best a passing interest in this subject could someone please explain to my why the French seem insistent on fishing British waters? Surely fish are mobile and again surely France has an awful lot of coastline?

I’m sure someone will know why, but I don’t understand it.

The French…

Seem incapable of stopping vessels leaving France headed for England stuffed full of people.

One British trawler allegedly fishing with no permit and they’re onto it like a rat up a drain.

Double standard really.

Macron is like a spoilt child at a birthday party that lost every game he entered into.

yourhavingalarf:
The French…

Seem incapable of stopping vessels leaving France headed for England stuffed full of people.

One British trawler allegedly fishing with no permit and they’re onto it like a rat up a drain.

Double standard really.

Macron is like a spoilt child at a birthday party that lost every game he entered into.

Almost like he’s got an election looming…

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Why don’t they have fireworks at…

Euro Disney?

Because every time they let them off, the French try to surrender.

the maoster:
As someone with at best a passing interest in this subject could someone please explain to my why the French seem insistent on fishing British waters? Surely fish are mobile and again surely France has an awful lot of coastline?

Have you looked at the Chanel Islands on a map? If I was French I’d be pretty pee’d off that French fishing waters only extend 9 miles west of the Cherbourg peninsula instead of the 76 miles north of the same towards the UK.

As I’m not french, I say Hahaha!

the maoster:

Essentially they eat stuff (or like to sell stuff) from our waters, we eat stuff (or like to sell stuff) from their waters. Most fish that we eat (note, most not all for the pedants) is not from our own waters.

The reality is that it should be such a non issue but fishing was made into such a subject reference Brexit despite its tiny input into the economy that’s its become politicised on both sides and something that could and probably should be sorted in a stroke has become a toy for tat between UK and France.

toonsy:
Essentially they eat stuff (or like to sell stuff) from our waters, we eat stuff (or like to sell stuff) from their waters. Most fish that we eat (note, most not all for the pedants) is not from our own waters.

Yep the EU wants all the Cod from the North Sea and all the Turbot and Lobster etc from the Noth Devon and Cornish Atlantic coast and we get what in exchange exactly from there.
No surprise with closet remainer Boris in charge the shelves here are still empty of Turbot.
If we want Lobster it’s frozen from Canada or the lowest quality domestic ones, even at the height of our Lobster season, because our best Lobsters are exported and the shops won’t pay for air freight from the US/Canada and are full of all the rubbish species left over that the French and Spanish don’t want, like Hake and Haddock and if we want Cod it’s imported from Norway and Iceland.
Although the Scottish prefer Haggis to fish anyway so they are happy with Haddock.
No surprise the Norwegians won’t allow the EU or us in its waters so why should we allow the French.

yourhavingalarf:
Why don’t they have fireworks at…

Euro Disney?

Because every time they let them off, the French try to surrender.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

toonsy:

Yep the EU wants all the Cod from the North Sea and all the Turbot and Lobster etc from the Noth Devon and Cornish Atlantic coast and we get what in exchange exactly from there.
No surprise with closet remainer Boris in charge the shelves here are still empty of Turbot.
If we want Lobster it’s frozen from Canada or the lowest quality domestic ones, even at the height of our Lobster season, because our best Lobsters are exported and the shops won’t pay for air freight from the US/Canada and are full of all the rubbish species left over that the French and Spanish don’t want, like Hake and Haddock and if we want Cod it’s imported from Norway and Iceland.
Although the Scottish prefer Haggis to fish anyway so they are happy with Haddock.
No surprise the Norwegians won’t allow the EU or us in its waters so why should we allow the French.

I share you’re exhasperation as the situation like you being a fish lover but it’s just a sad fact this country doesn’t much like fish, except if it’s wrapped in batter. I despair at Brits dislike of fish, so stupid for an island.

yourhavingalarf:
The French…

Double standard really.

Whereas the British are just incapable

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

toonsy:

I share you’re exhasperation as the situation like you being a fish lover but it’s just a sad fact this country doesn’t much like fish, except if it’s wrapped in batter. I despair at Brits dislike of fish, so stupid for an island.

You missed the point the reason that I can’t buy a piece of Turbot even in Waitrose isn’t because the Brits don’t like it.
It’s because it’s being taken by the Euros and we get all the crap.
There was a time when it was actually even an option, wrapped in batter, at the local chippy.
I can also remember getting ready to run when I asked if they had anything other than Haddock in a Scottish fish and chip shop.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

toonsy:

I have to admit you have described me well.

Fish and chips is fine, indeed wonderful (with salt and vinegar of course), but recently in restaurants my wife had grilled salmon one day, a lovely sole the next. Me? A salad on the one day, a steak the next. My wife is French, I am British…

I guess it is all down to our upbringing. But fish just does not appeal to me. Sorry fishermen.

switchlogic:

I’ll give you that…

But I’ll raise you that the EU and in particular the French, are even less capable.

i see we all been kicked into bullys already lol

Dipster:
I guess it is all down to our upbringing. But fish just does not appeal to me. Sorry fishermen.

+1…

I look forward to my haddock and chips most Friday’s, I’ll order prawn cocktail for my starter and fish fingers are great but, if they all disappeared overnight, I’d (wait for it) still have bigger fish to fry.

Having dined extensively in Europe and in many other countries, I’ve never quite understood the feeding frenzy that occurs in fish restaurants.

Perhaps in the same way we stopped putting small children up chimneys to sweep them (often resulting in their death), we might stop sending men away in fishing boats risking their lives in winter storms for cod.

It’s not the only Brouhaha brewing in the north sea between Great Britain & France! If nuclear power doesn’t get the “Green energy” moniker by the EU then France who is primarily powered by nuclear will be looking at wanting a big slice of the north sea where the wind blows 24/7 to install their own wind farms otherwise the French power grid will be subject to big carbon credit tariffs akin to coal. :open_mouth:

Dipster:
I have to admit you have described me well.

Fish and chips is fine, indeed wonderful (with salt and vinegar of course), but recently in restaurants my wife had grilled salmon one day, a lovely sole the next. Me? A salad on the one day, a steak the next. My wife is French, I am British…

Though I used the wrong your! I share Carryfasts annoyance though. It’s even more annoying as I live ten miles from sea and can’t get scallops locally unless they’re from Canada! Drives me nuts

yourhavingalarf:

switchlogic:

I’ll give you that…

But I’ll raise you that the EU and in particular the French, are even less capable.

i see we all been kicked into bullys already lol

No one is less capable than this shambolic country right now, we’re a joke, making a fuss over a minuscule industry because it winds up territorial Brexiteers. We’re a joke. You might have a point if it was us holding French boats but it isn’t.

lancpudn:
It’s not the only Brouhaha brewing in the north sea between Great Britain & France! If nuclear power doesn’t get the “Green energy” moniker by the EU then France who is primarily powered by nuclear will be looking at wanting a big slice of the north sea where the wind blows 24/7 to install their own wind farms otherwise the French power grid will be subject to big carbon credit tariffs akin to coal. :open_mouth:

Why?