Steering yokes

What say ye about these steering yokes? Tesla has a yoke on the Model S Plaid & soon to be on the Model X & model Y, These yokes are just fitted onto a normal ratio steering column & judging by the pics of having to constantly cross hands it looks a bit of mess & looks really clumsy to use.
youtube.com/watch?v=YWtJu0q3sBQ&t=22s

Toyota on the other hand have devised a drive-by-wire system that will be installed on their new BEV next year called the Toyota bZ4X SUV that eliminates having to change grip & will alter the steering for low speed turning automatically. If it’s a drive-by-wire system then it surely wont have any feedback from the tyres up through the steering column & steering wheel!!!

From what I’ve read on the Autocar site these steering yokes are deemed legal in the UK & some countries of the EU :open_mouth:

It’s all about flogging an electric toy, made with mickey mouse components, for more than a proper car price, to create more profit and the mugs are buying it.

Hell fire, are you telling me Toyota are going to produce a vehicle with the steering wheel not directly connected to the steering system :open_mouth:

Well that puts a new top rung on the list of things that will never feature on any car i buy, previously headed by the utterly pointless electric parking brake, fitted to enable those who can’t control their vehicles to perform less than complete failure hill starts :unamused: , which itself was vying for top spot with systems that try to force you to steer where the car wants to go when ‘‘lane departure’’ (another load of ■■■■■■■■) raises it pointy head.

In other words our 13 16 and 25 year old cars had better last a lot longer yet.

Juddian:
Hell fire, are you telling me Toyota are going to produce a vehicle with the steering wheel not directly connected to the steering system :open_mouth:

Well that puts a new top rung on the list of things that will never feature on any car i buy, previously headed by the utterly pointless electric parking brake, fitted to enable those who can’t control their vehicles to perform less than complete failure hill starts :unamused: , which itself was vying for top spot with systems that try to force you to steer where the car wants to go when ‘‘lane departure’’ (another load of ■■■■■■■■) raises it pointy head.

In other words our 13 16 and 25 year old cars had better last a lot longer yet.

I should imagine Steering wheels/Yokes will be optional in around five years time. This is the new Toyota EV electrek.co/2021/10/29/toyota-u … -features/

Carryfast:
It’s all about flogging an electric toy, made with mickey mouse components, for more than a proper car price, to create more profit and the mugs are buying it.

Amen, though I would insert the word gullible in front of the word mugs.

Juddian:

I’m going to get rid of the needless mechanical steering and hydraulic brakes and use remote control aircraft motors and servos to steer it and apply the new braking system on my 3.5 t Transit EV home build.
Look forward to the congratulations from the MOT testers for my initiative if it doesn’t crash on the way to the testing station.

bigstraight6:

Carryfast:

Amen, though I would insert the word gullible in front of the word mugs.

I would have done but didn’t think the word does it justice there isn’t a word for this level of naivety in existence.

A 20 quid steering system in their 30 grand + motor because CO2 cooked Venus.
Batteries not included.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ajckwlt3M-8