What's in a name

I’m reading that…

Facebook (or Fakebook as I call it) is re-branding and changing it’s name to Meta.

How appropriate, the word meta is short for Metastasis.

Metastasis is the spread of cancer cells to new areas of the body, often by way of the lymph system or bloodstream. A metastatic cancer, or metastatic tumor, is one that has spread from the primary site of origin, or where it started, into different areas of the body.

Mr Zuckerberg has chosen well.

yourhavingalarf:
I’m reading that…

Facebook (or Fakebook as I call it) is re-branding and changing it’s name to Meta.

Metastasis is the spread of cancer cells to new areas of the body, often by way of the lymph system or bloodstream. A metastatic cancer, or metastatic tumor, is one that has spread from the primary site of origin, or where it started, into different areas of the body.

…it’s also short for ‘metamorphosis’, i.e. ‘changing’. What a clever zucker Mr. Zuckerberg is.

fodenway:

yourhavingalarf:
I’m reading that…

…it’s also short for ‘metamorphosis’, i.e. ‘changing’. What a clever zucker Mr. Zuckerberg is.

Or in Hebrew it means dead

blue estate:

Well spotted…

Is Mr Zuckerberg having a laugh here or, is his PR team taking the ■■■■■

The sooner the poisonous Flacidbook cancer is switched off, the better.

yourhavingalarf:

blue estate:

Well spotted…

Is Mr Zuckerberg having a laugh here or, is his PR team taking the ■■■■?

I do read more than just this forum , I read a news article on it last night

yourhavingalarf:

blue estate:

Why?

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
Why?

In my opinion…

For the little that it’s worth, it’s destroying civilisation. It’s legitimising prejudices, inequalities and promotes hatred.

As I said, that’s my opinion and you did ask, I’m not gonna get into 12 pages of why, where and how. Everyone managed just fine before it got here and it’s been a cluster ■■■■ since it arrived.

yourhavingalarf:

rearaxle:
Why?

In my opinion…

For the little that it’s worth, it’s destroying civilisation. It’s legitimising prejudices, inequalities and promotes hatred.

As I said, that’s my opinion and you did ask, I’m not gonna get into 12 pages of why, where and how. Everyone managed just fine before it got here and it’s been a cluster [zb] since it arrived.

Yep.
If you read an article saying…“X is bad”…youll get 2 or 3 more articles saying "X is bad" or "X is *really* bad". You wont get suggestions saying “X is good”.
Before long you`ll be down the rabbit hole where “X is evil, and everyone agrees that X is evil”.
“X is evil” becomes your norm. You no longer need evidence to support this view as “everyone” agrees on it; it is your world view and is unquestionable because it is the “norm” in your online world.

I just see it as an ego site. “Look at MEEEEEE!!!”

Never used it or similar sites.