LNG looks like a non starter

bigstraight6:

Juddian:
We had one on trial, those who used it said you could watch the fuel gauge going down, couldn’t manage even a mid distance run without having to divert both ways to keep the heap topped up, lot smaller tank capacity on a typical 3 axle UK spec tractor.
Haulier i know trialled one, broke down, several times, literally a non starter.

Thats two operators out of two wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole.
Maybe ok on light parcel type work but then Diesel wagons are supremely economical on light distance work anyway, plus they last forever, so whats the benefit apart from milking subsidies from the green tax take.

The transition from steam to diesel powered lorries well over 70 years ago was actual progress as diesel is far more efficient in every aspect to what it replaced and there still doesn’t seem to be any viable alternative but those pushing the going green agenda would probably prefer going back to using horses and carts to transport goods.

Well nowadays it’s all about if its new then it will automatically be better and to hell with any consequences, lets ignore them because its all new and shiny.

The EV hype is a part of it too, short term gains for long term pains. There’s no way they thought it through properly, even outside of unforeseen circumstances.

There has always been technology that was supposed to be revolutionary that either got bypassed by something better or just didn’t take off.

I like to use the CD as an analogy for this.

The CD was supposed to revolutionize how music was stored and played, yet if you look at the lifespan of the usage CD it was almost a total non starter. It had less use than cassettes did, because when CD’s came out, was only a short while after that everything became digitalized anyway, and they were completely obsolete. CD was brought in, what, mid 80s? But how many cars or vehicles had a CD player as standard? They didn’t, they still had cassette decks, even til the early 2000’s. All the while audiophiles swore by vinyl this entire time… The only time people buy a CD now is either for sentimental reasons [collector, or what have you] or with the intention to pop it in the car, if it doesn’t have a USB port or wireless ability.

Now if anyone plays music physically they do it on a vinyl and when driving everyone just uses bluetooth from their phone or mp3 player, or using an AUX cable.

And I think this is how EV’s go. I think they push it all on battery EV’s instead of focusing on fuel cells, only to be totally bypassed by fuel cell EV’s in the near future anyway. Meanwhile the government is subsidising all EV purchases and every software bloke and his dog has a Porsche Taycan or a Tesla for over 100grand a pop…

LNG will just be another casualty from this same train of thought that because it isn’t diesel or petrol therefore it must be better by default.