The tories are doing good!

Yea, a non shortage / petrol thread.

My thinking is the tories are doing pretty poor. I am usually on the left and I did vote I think for Jeremy Corbyn.
I actually quite admire Jeremy Corbyn, he seemed to be one of the few MPs that believed in what he said. That’s no doubt why a lot of the modern Labour Mps hated him so much.

But on the balance of things I think the Tory government has done a better job since being elected than the Labour government could of done.

Here is my reasoning.

Firstly, we would of had a 2nd referendum over brexit (It was a policy pledge)
Secondly, I am completely against paying people to sit at home and I hate furlough. But consider how much the Tory party has spent on it. If it was down to Jeremy Corbyn it would no doubt be 3 times as high.
Thirdly, they would of opened the floodgates of cheap immigration. They have already said as much as a way to fix the lorry driver shortage.
Fourth point. They would of spent stupid amounts of money. As much as I can understand peoples frustrations about people losing out on £20 a week in Universal credit we do need to cut costs. If Labour was in charge under Corbyn he would basically have a blank cheque book to spend what he wants.
Lastly, I am very anti restriction of liberties AND in theory so are the tories. If a labour government was in charge we could of very well been like Australia or New Zealand. Hurrah! you may say as they are doing fantastic with covid. But, entire counties go in lockdown over a single case. It is extremely authoritarian.

Personally I think this current tory government is basically New Labour. This is not a true Tory party anymore.
But yea, I think it could of been worse with Corbyn in charge. The only credit I would give him though is he would of probably done a lot more to keep the NHS running.

Whoops
Wrong thread

Universal Credit is actually just an extremely expensive and worthless type of income protection policy so just another a type of regressive tax.
There’s only so much of all the different types of such taxes from council tax to VAT and road fuel duty that the economy can stand.
Especially in an economy based minimising wage levels by maximising labour supply and maximising imports.
While exporting/squandering resources like oil and gas if not trying to put them beyond use in favour of expensive dangerous options like nuclear electric.
Lions led by donkeys indeed.