Crap telly

For many years…

I didn’t have a telly at all. Conversations in the pub that involved ‘did you see blah blah on the telly last night?’ never got very far. Working nights meant that I never got to watch prime-time telly anyway. I never had one in the lorry when I tramped UK only.
But as the technology changed and the flat screen arrived, I could see that films and other media could be shown over a ‘big screen’. I got my first 42" LG and channelled Freesat through it as well as a small PC with a wireless keyboard. I could listen to radio stations from all around the world in real time, watch epic films with surround sound and check my emails too. I found the programmes interesting, news channels valid and comedy funny without being childish.
I hardly watch anything now. It’s all just utter rubbish. Documentaries that could be interesting are dumbed down beyond belief with some ‘celebrity’ making a complete arse of themselves by trying to make a horse-shoe in a forge or cutting granite rocks with a hammer. As if that isn’t bad enough, the infuriating ‘coming up’ just before the adverts come on or just as the start title has finished is so annoying. I don’t want to know what’s coming, surprise me. A one hour documentary is around 40 minutes with adverts and ‘coming up’ as well as the reminder of what you’ve just watched before the adverts.
Why the ■■■■ should I pay a licence fee for such utter drivel?
I’ve sent a few emails but no one’s even acknowledged them.

Rant over.

and breath

No telly licence here, haven’t watched live telly for years now, and never will again until the Ministry of Truth strap us into chairs pin our eyelids back and turn us all into the borg.

Agree telly was rubbish 10 years ago and it won’t have improved any.
Netflix and Amazon Prime provide enough including a good percentage of rubbish to keep one’s screen addiction fulfilled.

Had a work colleague once who used to wax lyrical about that bloody awful gameshow The Price is Right hosted by an ageing Leslie Crowther, talk about scraping the barrell and insulting ones intelligence, i simply couldn’t stand it and might have tortured myself with 10 seconds which was more than enough, his enthusiasm alone probably signified the beginning of the end of my telly watching days, though no doubt far more crass rubbish has been made since.

I agree, the vast majority of UK TV is awful drivel. Standards of English , particularly, often make me despair. TV licence? Er, no. When I see the amounts of money some of the “stars” get paid I see it as robbery really.

all i watch now is stuff on ‘Drama’ channel,‘last of the summer wine’,which is just simple stuff i know,but harmless fun,and sometimes the Catherine Cookson stuff. perhap’s i’m longing for when England was England. oh,and Gardener’s World. That’s it.

I long for the day when the (anti)British Broadcasting Company loses the ability to blackmail people into funding it through the licence fee.
I have complained to them a number of times about their force-feeding us Wimbledon on BOTH channels at once, similar issue with the few sports they still have access to. Total disregard of everyone, a “we know best what you should watch”.
I complained about their reschedules at no notice, after a few of the usual bland self justifications I finally got under their skin and received an email saying they would no longer reply to my complaints.

Get a firestick and look at which apps to install on youtube" techdoctorUK " Is good! use a vpn to watch anything and everything from around the world, America etc etc.Never watch UK TV again total guff.
Couple of good apps to install totally legal!

Strix
Redboxtv
Tvtap

I cant remember the last time I switched the telly on! The TIVO box that we got with the Virgin media phone/broadband/TV package is still in the box they sent us years ago :open_mouth:
The big TV’s in the living room & Conservatory are connected up to desktop PC’s & used as monitors. Missus only bothers with freeview on them.
I begrudge having to pay the BBC TV licence for the absolute bottom of the barrel dross that passes for entertainment these days particular when it’s these gormless bints who don’t know jack $h1t about anything in life. :open_mouth: I’d rather be poked in the eye wi a mucky stick that watch this garbage.

youtube.com/watch?v=QDUX8pxoDtk

Always watch moto gp , world super bikes , bsb, car programmes , love nature programmes as well , stargate , stargate Atlantis , Star Trek, only fools & horses
Mrs never misses home & away , emmerdale , love island , only way is Essex & a few more
3 TVs in house , think package costs £70 for tv , broadband , phone , peanuts in the grand scheme of things
Don’t watch in day time other than motorbikes , but when I’m done for day I’ll sit down & watch something
Put music on through tv a lot , mrs is 59 but long bed her dance music !!