Speed limiters in new cars from 2022

This is a good watch about the mandatory speed limiters & “Onboard Spy Box” on new cars from July 2022 & from a Bikers viewpoint too.

‘Haptic’ accelerator pedals in new cars next year which will push back on the pedal (along with 'nagging devices i.e. audio & visual warnings) if you try to go above the speed limit of the road you’re driving on. :open_mouth:

Car drivers have always complained about Lorries taking miles & miles to overtake another lorry because of speed limited lorries but the same thing is going to happen with them when these mandatory laws come into effect, We’ll have three lanes of the motorway choc-a-bloc because nobody will be able to overtake as these new vehicles will be restricted to the national speed limit. :open_mouth:

I think I’ll go to Mathewsons auction and invest in a classic with twin SU carburettors, mechanical contact breaker points and no electronics; if all the new cars have limiters they may do away with the ‘no longer needed’ speed cameras so happy days!
(Yes, I know all about starting problems, spending hours fiddling with timing, mixtures etc to get those things to run right, had lots of them.)

Buckstones:
I think I’ll go to Mathewsons auction and invest in a classic with twin SU carburettors, mechanical contact breaker points and no electronics; if all the new cars have limiters they may do away with the ‘no longer needed’ speed cameras so happy days!
(Yes, I know all about starting problems, spending hours fiddling with timing, mixtures etc to get those things to run right, had lots of them.)

Good point, There are other things that will no longer be needed soon, Upcoming cars with traditional clutch & gearboxes! They will get the heave-Ho :open_mouth: The new breed of computerised cars wont want drivers deciding how & when they’re going to change gear/drive :open_mouth: VW has just announced that they’re phasing out manual gearboxes :open_mouth: electrive.com/2021/08/31/vw … -mobility/

The future of connected vehicles i.e. V2X (vehicle to infrastructure) is getting interesting, they’re now saying “Such is the growth of connectivity in vehicles that the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) predict that all cars in the UK will be connected by 2026 and it is estimated that the global market size for vehicle to everything (V2X) communication technologies is forecast to reach $6 Billion (£4.4bn) by 2025.” :open_mouth: and the most interesting is… “Vehicles in the UK may also be mandated to retrofit connectivity technology to any legacy vehicles that don’t feature the right level of factory fitted kit.” :open_mouth: That’s the first time I’ve seen retrofitting V2X technology to older vehicles, Does this mean if your vehicle doesn’t have this V2X technology fitted/retrofitted you wont be allowed to travel on certain roads? fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-in … ility-live

lancpudn:
The future of connected vehicles i.e. V2X (vehicle to infrastructure) is getting interesting, they’re now saying “Such is the growth of connectivity in vehicles that the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) predict that all cars in the UK will be connected by 2026 and it is estimated that the global market size for vehicle to everything (V2X) communication technologies is forecast to reach $6 Billion (£4.4bn) by 2025.” :open_mouth: and the most interesting is… “Vehicles in the UK may also be mandated to retrofit connectivity technology to any legacy vehicles that don’t feature the right level of factory fitted kit.” :open_mouth: That’s the first time I’ve seen retrofitting V2X technology to older vehicles, Does this mean if your vehicle doesn’t have this V2X technology fitted/retrofitted you wont be allowed to travel on certain roads? fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-in … ility-live

I wrote to the DfT sometime ago requesting them to define ‘retrofit’ and the required vehicle types.No answer so far.
My guess is that it can only apply to recent types with the automatic in car speed information capability.They’ll then just link it to the ECU fly by wire throttle controls.
I don’t think it will apply to a 1960’s 12 cylinder multi cable throttled Ferrari.
Probably all moot if they are going for the nuclear plan B of withdrawing fossil fuel supplies.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this V2X malarkey will be the new ‘Road Pricing’ method, The system will know exactly when & where you have driven & will bill you accordingly.
Saying as they want to curtail private car use in towns & cities I could see exorbitantly high pricing for driving in congested rush hour times/places to dissuade car use & get you onto public transport.

lancpudn:
I wouldn’t be surprised if this V2X malarkey will be the new ‘Road Pricing’ method, The system will know exactly when & where you have driven & will bill you accordingly.
Saying as they want to curtail private car use in towns & cities I could see exorbitantly high pricing for driving in congested rush hour times/places to dissuade car use & get you onto public transport.

That’s the stick, where is the carrot of clean, affordable, available, public transport?
We don’t need one 50 seat bus every hour, we need 5 x 10 seat buses spread out.

quote Franglais - That’s the stick, where is the carrot of clean, affordable, available, public transport?

But on a practical level, one 50 seater and one driver is a whole lot cheaper than fifty 10 seaters and fifty drivers, not to mention fuel, VED, spares, garaging, road congestion etc.
A costly carrot. Question answered?

fodenway:
quote Franglais - That’s the stick, where is the carrot of clean, affordable, available, public transport?

But on a practical level, one 50 seater and one driver is a whole lot cheaper than fifty 10 seaters and fifty drivers, not to mention fuel, VED, spares, garaging, road congestion etc.

Yes. Agreed.
A distinct lack of investment in providing a solution that people will choose. Of course it is dearer to provide a good service than a rotten one!

Carryfast:
I wrote to the DfT sometime ago requesting them to define ‘retrofit’ and the required vehicle types.No answer so far.

I’ve now got the response it categorically states there are ‘no’ retrofit provisions in the plan only new registrations.

Franglais:

fodenway:

Yes. Agreed.
A distinct lack of investment in providing a solution that people will choose. Of course it is dearer to provide a good service than a rotten one!

Surely we’d expect be seeing the ‘key workers’ and their unions celebrating their new found incentive to cycle and use the bus to commute as opposed to wanting to be at the front of fossil fuel queue.
The truth is no one wants this new control freak utopia of compliant serfs.It’s the UK and free world not Not North Korea.1950’s America was good let’s get back there.