Welding and Cutting

Browsing the other day I found this man, boy has he got a steady hand! I wish I could use a torch as well. The second link shows the repair he has taken on. The third a repair some will be familiar with.

youtube.com/watch?v=vSNU5DtFEmI

youtube.com/watch?v=RhuCRD9qHcU

youtube.com/watch?v=5nTOY8B4XW0

Welding is an art. The satisfaction of watching weld slag lift after a perfect run with an arc welder is immense. Also, when using gas, that skill of melting the metal until its almost burnt through, but having the experience to lay your weld down without burning right through is a hard won skill. When I were a lad…literally, actually, I done 2yrs of the 4yr coded welding exams, with an eye to the money to be earned on pipework. It is serious stuff. In the college, all welds are x-rayed and marked accordingly. So wish I had seen it out, and not become a truck driver… Still comment on bad welding whenever I see it!

Watched this at the weekend, I don’t know a jot about CAD so was in awe of the fit of parts as they were assembled, a project that would be well beyond me!!

youtu.be/gYs_jYUyaoY

Janos:
So wish I had seen it out, and not become a truck driver… Still comment on bad welding whenever I see it!

I jacked it in to become a lorry driver.
Became apparent to me,that this was an environment the would become increasingly difficult as years progressed.
+1 on the weld inspecting though.especially a nice bit of tig.

I did a lot of welding when I worked for a aveling barford( graders , rollers , dump trucks ) , did the big D ramps , couplers , rams for bar Ford site dumpers , also did some stuff for army for falklands war ( not sure what name was but they were like a sled type thing that was either dropped from planes , helicopters) , mostly mig to be honest , just a bit of stick repairing rams if they leaked when pressure tested
Had the masks with the air packs on them / extractors , but I’d of thought welding day in day out for years would not do your health a lot of good , I just did it if a welder was off / or I was short of work on the grinding
When I left the big d couplers we’re being done by a robot , I guess a lot of the work was eventually done by robots , as Cnc machines ( lathes , millers ) took over from manual machines in a lot of cases
Think the plating work looked more interesting , but never got involved in that side of things