Landline phones!

The traditional Landline telephone is facing the boot by 2025 :open_mouth: This wont go down well with a lot of older people like my old Mam. :open_mouth: dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … -cope.html

My dad can barely knows how to use his Nokia 3310 (He still uses one).

No doubt there are a lot of elderly people who will suffer. It’s not just this though the government having been pushing all online services for a while yet a lot of elderly people simply can not use a computer.

But it is the way the world is going.

adam277:
My dad can barely use his Nokia 3310 (He still uses one).

No doubt there are a lot of elderly people who will suffer. It’s not just this though the government having been pushing all online services for a while yet a lot of elderly people simply can not use a computer.

But it is the way the world is going.

Me too! I love my Nokia (my Dumbphone!) and have no need for any other…

The way the phone connects to the network will change - but the same handset will still work in exactly the same way as far as the user is concerned. Users will still lift the handset, listen for a dial tone then dial the required number. Incoming calls likewise will work in exactly the same way as on the current PSTN network. It’s a non-story.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I didn’t get a landline until 1986, and have NEVER had a mobile. I’ve only used a couple of them, and even then I had to ask the owner how to turn it on/off etc. I see folks, especially the younger end, glued to the things for hours on end, totally oblivious to what’s going around them to the point of letting buses or trains go that they intended to be on, or waking into lamp posts or other people, tripping over dogs and children and walking out in front of moving traffic. I’ve managed thus far as I am, and I think I could fairly easily adjust to doing without the landline again if it comes to that.

I have a 4g router at home with a sim and contract, its faster than the broadband options available (fibre or anything close hasn’t arrived yet). Internet would have been the only reason I would have had a land line.

fodenway:
I didn’t get a landline until 1986, and have NEVER had a mobile. I’ve only used a couple of them, and even then I had to ask the owner how to turn it on/off etc. I see folks, especially the younger end, glued to the things for hours on end, totally oblivious to what’s going around them to the point of letting buses or trains go that they intended to be on, or waking into lamp posts or other people, tripping over dogs and children and walking out in front of moving traffic. I’ve managed thus far as I am, and I think I could fairly easily adjust to doing without the landline again if it comes to that.

When I was employed I was tied to a mobile 24/7. It was part of the job. When I retired I wanted to go without but my dear wife insisted I have one “in case something happened to me”! So I have my cheapo Dumphone Nokia. Rarely used, but there just in case…

As you say people seem to be dependant on ■■■■ phones nowadays.

I got a mobile phone around 10 years ago for exactly the same reason as Dipster above.It is a 2 sim (UK and Spain) PAYG which I have used maybe 5 times tops mostly to receive a text.I don’t do apps or anything else technical.