Time in prison

Did anyone see the BBC drama last night called Time ? My favourite actor Stephen Graham who was excellent in playing Detective Taff in the White House farm massacre was amazing in Time .
A good insight in to prison life and the bullying that goes on , and the old trick with sugar in a boiling kettle.

Tarmaceater:
Did anyone see the BBC drama last night called Time ? My favourite actor Stephen Graham who was excellent in playing Detective Taff in the White House farm massacre was amazing in Time .
A good insight in to prison life and the bullying that goes on , and the old trick with sugar in a boiling kettle.

I did not see it. Some years ago I worked with a few men, many ex-services, who had been prison officers. Their stories were both funny and horrific. I think I got an idea that life inside is not quite what one sees in Porridge. They had all left the prison service due to the abuse and assaults they (and their families) received from prisoners, and some were big, solid blokes who could certainly look after themselves! Is that what was portrayed?

Yes they did portray abuse against prison officers and prisoners blackmailing officers and aggression and violence between prisoners and staff .
Attacks on inmates by other inmates, if you stared at someone.

The old Law and Order TV series of 1978 Villain’s/Brief’s/Copper’s/Prisoner’s tale was as real as it gets.Scary zb.
No surprise every time someone posts it on Youtube it gets taken down.
It was the end scene when he’s sent out on work detail to plant a sapling in the prison yard and as they walked back in the guard says that’s going to have grown a bit in ten-twenty years time, that made me think that the death penalty might be the merciful way out for some.

If you want to see a brilliant prison film, check out Starred up , he was transferred from juvenile nick to adult nick .
The Shawshank Redemption is a popular film but the ■■■■ scenes portray life inside but in reality they are rare events in modern prison facilities but the public go on that film to assume its like that .

i watched scum when it first came out, to this day i still find it one of the most disturbing films of that gendre i have seen… especially the greenhouse scene… :open_mouth:

I saw Scum too , as you said very disturbing.

The best one is Midnight Express with the coat hanger going in the abusive guards brains, then other contenders are Bronson, In the name of the father ( IRA theme) or Brubaker with Robert Redford .
Papillon with Steve Mqueen and Dustin Hoffman .

I tuned in. I normally find McGoverns dramas a bit sanctimonious, but there were a few scenes there where you felt Sean Beans utter horror and despair. The most poignant moment was where he had the phone taken from him. He knew the other prisoners were now gauging his reaction. He could not back down or they would all bully him. He knew the guy could kill him with one punch, but knew he had to take him on. Reminded me of school in the seventies!

I thought the guy with the snooker cue would have intervened in the phone call stealing scene.
But all he says is his life won’t be worth living now for not hitting the bully in the phone scene.

I thought he had done enough by standing up to him. Will the pressure be on Bean to take revenge to save face? After that kettle incident, would you intervene to save a stranger…who could of done anything? The other thing that unsettled me was the accusation of being a grass or a ■■■■■. Seems if it is said enough times, it is believed, and punishment will follow. Thought boiling water was bad enough, but mixing sugar with it and throwing it in the face of a sleeping inmate is just horrific.