Scam Phone Calls

On wednesday my wife received the new mobile phone I bought her.The number is known only to the phone company,my wife and me.
I was surprised,this morning,to receive the first scam call dialled to this number.Randomly selected by computer I daresay but bloody hell.
As it happens the call was from a parcel company wanting to charge me for a failed delivery.

New mobile numbers are issued/allocated in blocks. It’s dead easy for anyone with an interest or involvement in such things to identify the ranges currently being issued and target their scam messages accordingly.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Gidders:
On wednesday my wife received the new mobile phone I bought her.The number is known only to the phone company,my wife and me.
I was surprised,this morning,to receive the first scam call dialled to this number.Randomly selected by computer I daresay but bloody hell.
As it happens the call was from a parcel company wanting to charge me for a failed delivery.

Come and collect it in cash mate and see what happens.

The same happened with me! I got a new mobile phone & number two months ago & within a week I was getting messages supposedly from virgin media regarding “missed payments” :imp:

You should be on extra high alert if you receive a text purporting to be from a parcel company seeking payment of a couple of quid for delivery charges. This is only Stage One of the scam.

In Stage Two (typically a day or two later) you may receive a call purporting to be from your bank’s fraud department or the police. The gist of this message will be that unauthorised log-ins have been detected on your account. As part of the story they will ask if you have received a message as outlined at Stage One. This whole act is designed to draw you in, as yes, you did indeed get such a message. Naturally you are now worried. The carefully scripted conversation will either get you to transfer the contents of your account(s) into a special new “safe” account or may simply get you to reveal your log-in details or debit/credit card numbers so they can do it for you.

Either way, Stage Three is when they clean out your account(s) or max-out your credit card to buy eg Amazon gift cards or somesuch.

aff.419eater.com/ is the website to visit if you have some time to kill and enjoy reading about scam scum getting a taste of their own back.

Thanks for any info and advice.Most calls are recordings so I can delete them.Those that involve speaking to another person directly provide hours of entertainment when I’m otherwise bored.I consider it a bonus if I can get the caller angry enough to slam the phone down.
It’s the 2 days after the number was issued that surprised me.It would be interesting to track down a culprit.

I get a couple of these scam call per week as it happens. Invariably from abroad with a fake Uk number. My latest way of dealing with it is if it’s a female calling I ask her what she’s wearing, I then say “don’t stop talking, I’m nearly there” followed up by some heavy breathing. If it’s a male caller, we’ll pretty much the same actually :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

One of the ways I deal with these callers is to say that I’m really interested in what they have to say, but tell them I’m just on my way into work. I ask them to give me a call “in about an hour” on my works number - which just happens to be either the Serious Fraud Office, or my local Police Headquarters. I don’t know whether they actually do ring either of those numbers, but they do seem to stop calling me.
Oh, and I haven’t had a road accident, my washing machine warranty hasn’t run out, my internet connection won’t be shut down and I haven’t ordered anything from Amazon Prime…

Gidders:
It’s the 2 days after the number was issued that surprised me.It would be interesting to track down a culprit.

The calls probably started weeks earlier - but until the number had actually been allocated nobody heard them…

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

When they call, blow a whistle as loud as you can or say you are going to fetch something from the other room and never come back to leave them hanging on to a phone call with nobody there .

Mate got the “involved in an accident” call.His reply was is that the one when I was heavily under the influence of alcohol and drugs :open_mouth: .Caller hung up :grimacing: cheers Ray

stargazer148:
Mate got the “involved in an accident” call.His reply was is that the one when I was heavily under the influence of alcohol and drugs :open_mouth: .Caller hung up :grimacing: cheers Ray

Or “it must have been the one that caused this amnesia, I don’t even remember having the accident”.

Nice one fodenway :smiley: another “accident” one was yes I have had an accident… I just ■■■■ myself :grimacing: cheers Ray

Tarmaceater:
When they call, blow a whistle as loud as you can or say you are going to fetch something from the other room and never come back to leave them hanging on to a phone call with nobody there .

Blowing a whistle etc achieves SQR(FA) as the public phone network simply will not reproduce the loud noise at the other end. Stringing them along by feigning interest/giving false information/pretending to be taken in by their scam can be satisfying (plus of course it occupies a few minutes of their time, thus (slightly) reducing the chances of some vulnerable old dear being scammed). Likewise leaving them hanging on while you fetch something/someone from the next room - although the software they use will simply drop the call if there’s no progress within a minute or so.

I received a call from an unknown mobile number on Friday. An automated voice went on to tell me that they were the HMRC fraud investigation team and if I didn’t press #1 on my keypad a warrant for my arrest would be issued.

No thanks.

Keep getting these calls, but always end up answering them,

They are my Kids after all.!

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: