Iggle Piggle, the Ninky Nonk & the Pinky Ponk

Having only become grandparents in the last year with our children being in the mid and late 30s, we have come late to the joys of current childrens’ television. Our children loved Rainbow, Button Moon and Thomas the Tank Engine. Obviously we had been aware of Teletubbies, but In The Night Garden and Bing are completely new to us and it is a delight to see our little grandaughter distracted and then enthralled by some of the characters. The creators of these series certainly get my vote for imagination.

My parents didn’t haved a TV until I was at the age of watching Thunderbirds and Stingray. I missed Andy Pandy and The Flowerpot Men when I was of an age to enjoy them. I did see them later when visiting friends of my own age while their younger siblings were watching but that was when I and my friend were waiting for the likes of Canonball or Flipper to come on.

cav551:
Having only become grandparents in the last year with our children being in the mid and late 30s, we have come late to the joys of current childrens’ television. Our children loved Rainbow, Button Moon and Thomas the Tank Engine. Obviously we had been aware of Teletubbies, but In The Night Garden and Bing are completely new to us and it is a delight to see our little grandaughter distracted and then enthralled by some of the characters. The creators of these series certainly get my vote for imagination.

My parents didn’t haved a TV until I was at the age of watching Thunderbirds and Stingray. I missed Andy Pandy and The Flowerpot Men when I was of an age to enjoy them. I did see them later when visiting friends of my own age while their younger siblings were watching but that was when I and my friend were waiting for the likes of Canonball or Flipper to come on.

Delightful to hear that you are enjoying being a Granddad! Enjoy it while you can as Grandchildren seem to grow up (as in get older) faster that our kids did. Perhaps that is its our years that are going by quicker… I still feel 16 but am amazed to see that I have teenage Grandchildren. Where did all those wonderful years go? My wife tells everybody that we married very young!

I am surprised that your little ones are watching TV programmes. Ours seemed to be either on games (Grrrrr-I hate them!) or watching something on the internet. And I thought I was lucky that my Dad had managed to get us a tele when I was a kid and I did get to watch Andy Pandy, and Bill and Ben. Privileged upbringing, eh?

For me it was
The flumps, Bod , Mr Ben , Rainbow , Trumpton/cambelwick green , Bag puss , clangers , play school , Ivor the engine , The Mupets etc

blue estate:
For me it was
The flumps, Bod , Mr Ben , Rainbow , Trumpton/cambelwick green , Bag puss , clangers , play school , Ivor the engine , The Mupets etc

Exactly the programmes my kids used to watch, now the youngest will turn 45 this September, as said above, time seems to pass much faster as you get older.

Buckstones:

blue estate:
For me it was

Exactly the programmes my kids used to watch, now the youngest will turn 45 this September, as said above, time seems to pass much faster as you get older.

Strange you should say that
I’m 46 in July

Sent while from gods know where

When we got a telly, it was Fireball XL5, and Supercar, I liked. Having younger siblings I could still catch the Flower Pot Man, Andy Pandy etc.
Torchy the Battery Boy, Sarah and Hoppitty, seem pretty rough now.1

I am in retraining and have to learn all about Iggle Piggle and entertaining a tot, its great fun, for a while. :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I am in retraining and have to learn all about Iggle Piggle and entertaining a tot, its great fun, for a while. :laughing:

My brother and sis in law have that pleasure and also Hey Dugie woof as their grandson Mateo is 19months old and my nice works in the weekday time

I have grandchildren aged between 2 and 20 and have a wide range of experience of children’s TV during that time. My preferred choices would be “In the Night Garden,” “Clangers,” and Chorlton and the Wheelies. All the little ones are in awe of my knowledge of their TV and I hope to be showing off to great grandchildren in the near future.Not that I’m old enough.

My three year old Grandson has thankfully fallen out of love with Peppa bloody Pig and has now discovered Paw Patrol.

My childhood viewing was the usual Space 1999, Belle and Sebastian, Flashing Blade, Water Margin etc. My older sister introduced me to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carrie and various other horror movies to “toughen me up”! Traumatised more like.

As little lad I remember seeing Watch With Mother back in the 50s. Seeing as I can’t remember what was on the box last night, why can I instantly reel off the
running order from all those years ago ? MON -Picture Book, TUES-Andy Pandy, WEDS-Bill and Ben, THURS-Rag Tag and Bobtail, FRID-The Woodentops.
Anybody else remember watching these ? :blush: :smiley:
Regards John.

I remember those too John.Back in the black and white days when children’s tv was calming.More recently children’s tv became a lot noisier with the little uns rushing about here and there shouting and screaming.Or was it me getting older?

the maoster:
My three year old Grandson has thankfully fallen out of love with Peppa bloody Pig and has now discovered Paw Patrol.

My childhood viewing was the usual Space 1999, Belle and Sebastian, Flashing Blade, Water Margin etc. My older sister introduced me to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Carrie and various other horror movies to “toughen me up”! Traumatised more like.

I was “baby sitting” once. The kids said “Ohhh, can we watch this video, please Uncle”.
Me, “isn’t that a bit scary?”
“Oh no. Mummy let’s us watch it”
Little fibbers…
Bunch of kids, frightened of spiders, an uncle in the dog house, cause I let em watch Aracnophobia.

Franglais:

the maoster:

I was “baby sitting” once. The kids said “Ohhh, can we watch this video, please Uncle”.
Me, “isn’t that a bit scary?”
“Oh no. Mummy let’s us watch it”
Little fibbers…
Bunch of kids, frightened of spiders, an uncle in the dog house, cause I let em watch Aracnophobia.

My Mother in Law who is Dutch and despite living in Britain for over half of her life doesn’t quite get some certain nuances of English videotaped a film for my (under 5 year old) kids to watch. I came home and she told me what she’d put on for them, I asked the name of it and she said “Childs Play”. I rushed up to their room to see two kids with eyes like saucers completely silent and huddled together!

I asked her if she thought that SKY Movies would really show a childrens film at 11pm!

I was a keen viewer of Rainbow, Ivor the Engine, Mary Mungo and Midge, Playschool, Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chidley but when the Grandkids are around I cannot believe some of the tosh that pass for kids programmes or am I a getting a grumpy old bollox?

I took my god daughter to see night garden live and you sit waiting for the show to start with a theatre full of kids shouting and then they come on stage and it’s total silence while they watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have caught the programme Something Special recently, the idea of aiming signing, even if it is not strictly BSL, at the very young seems a splendid idea, this should be continued in schools right through to GCSE and above.