Farewell old friend

I’ve been feeling a bit down this week after selling my 1971 Triumph 2000 last Monday that I’d owned for 9 years, because of the increasingly expensive council garage I kept her in and having too many other cars. Both me and my 22 year old son who’s helped me do many jobs on the car over the years were in tears when she went, indeed a few days before he helped me replace a failed clutch slave cylinder on the car.

I had a Triumph GT6 when I was younger, basically a hardtop Spitfire with a 2 litre engine in instead of a 1300…same engine as your car afaik.
I had to get shot of it before I killed myself in it, the engine was far too powerful for the car,.as it’s handling did not do the engine justice, it was dodgy going into corners,.and lethal in the wet with it’s independent suspension…wider wheels made it worse not better. :unamused:
My mate maybe saved my life when he borrowed it and put it through a fence. :smiley:
I was in a local nightclub where everybody kept coming up to me asking if I was ok, after they had seen the car smashed up…that is when I found out. :smiley:

robroy:
I had a Triumph GT6 when I was younger, basically a hardtop Spitfire with a 2 litre engine in instead of a 1300…same engine as your car afaik.
I had to get shot of it before I killed myself in it, the engine was far too powerful for the car,.as it’s handling did not do the engine justice, it was dodgy going into corners,.and lethal in the wet with it’s independent suspension…wider wheels made it worse not better. :unamused:
My mate maybe saved my life when he borrowed it and put it through a fence. :smiley:
I was in a local nightclub where everybody kept coming up to me asking if I was ok, after they had seen the car smashed up…that is when I found out. :smiley:[/quote

Many years ago I had a Renault 6 (a slightly posh Renault 4) with an 1100cc engine. It went very well and handled too. I used to drive it with, shall we say, verve. One day I was pushing on and overtook a red Spitfire. The driver apparently took umbrage and started pushing on too! All good fun until the lethal swing axle rear suspension of the Spit got the upper hand. The wee car exited the carriageway backwards heading for the greenery! Oops…

robroy:
I was in a local nightclub where everybody kept coming up to me asking if I was ok, after they had seen the car smashed up…that is when I found out. :smiley:

What if I said that stuffing a 2.5 PI engine in that or the Vitesse was the go to option for boy racers in the day.I ( and my parents ) preferred me to have the metal of that great 2000/2.5 saloon body wrapped around me like a centurion tank.
The 2.5 PI mk1 was always the one I would have liked.The way that thing went and idled compared to the Mk2 seems to have given credence to the rumours that it was deffo the TR5 engine dropped in it, to me.But the factory wouldn’t admit it because the insurers in the day would have pulled the plug and their values then and since seem to confirm it. :wink:

Old school. :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1_d-LaAWM

youtube.com/watch?v=2776xXra4a0

:smiley:

youtube.com/watch?v=iJCKoP8gkwk

Ive a soft spot for Triumphs too. GT6 mkI in BRG, GT6 mkIV in pimento red, TR6 in carmine red. The GT6 is a squeeze for 3. In fact its a squeeze for 2 middle aged with creaky joints adults.
And a brace of Stags, one brown, one spring green.
All gone now however.
Had the common overheating fuel problems with the 2.5PI engine. The Lucas “spit system” wasn`t up to the Bosch system back in the day. Went quickly when it was going, but very thirsty and not too reliable. Improved with tweaks over the years, so any still on the road should be more reliable today.

bigstraight6:
I’ve been feeling a bit down this week after selling my 1971 Triumph 2000 last Monday that I’d owned for 9 years, because of the increasingly expensive council garage I kept her in and having too many other cars. Both me and my 22 year old son who’s helped me do many jobs on the car over the years were in tears when she went, indeed a few days before he helped me replace a failed clutch slave cylinder on the car.

what a lovely car! just what i’m looking for :frowning:

Franglais:
Ive a soft spot for Triumphs too. GT6 mkI in BRG, GT6 mkIV in pimento red, TR6 in carmine red. The GT6 is a squeeze for 3. In fact its a squeeze for 2 middle aged with creaky joints adults.
All gone now however.
Had the common overheating fuel problems with the 2.5PI engine. The Lucas “spit system” wasn`t up to the Bosch system back in the day. Went quickly when it was going, but very thirsty and not too reliable. Improved with tweaks over the years, so any still on the road should be more reliable today.

If I was going to buy a classic it would deffo be the TR6, always fancied one in those days but couldn’t afford one at the time, they just looked good and sat nice on the road.
I had an MGB as a compromise…much better at handling than the GT6 btw.

TR7? Hated the look of them.

Never fancied a Stag, as you say they always had water and head problems,.and they were more of an older man’s car I always though at the time when I was into all this stuff.

robroy:

Franglais:
All gone now however.

If I was going to buy a classic it would deffo be the TR6, always fancied one in those days but couldn’t afford one at the time, they just looked good and sat nice on the road.
I had an MGB as a compromise…much better at handling than the GT6 btw.

TR7? Hated the look of them.

Never fancied a Stag, as you say they always had water and head problems,.and they were more of an older man’s car I always though at the time when I was into all this stuff.

Less likely to loose your licence with a Stag: more a relaxed Grand Tourer, than a rush-around sports car. Nice V8 rumble, and the cooling issues should be well sorted now. Not so much a design fault as awful quality control at BL. Casting sand has been found in the engines when they failed and were rebuilt. TheTR6 and other PI Triumph had fuel vapourisation issues. Pump would heat up, and hot starts could be a problem. One contemporary “cure” was a wet towel in the boot to throw over the pump!
My last GT6 was only a few years back, and although I`m not (quite) past it yet, it did seem much smaller than when I first had one.
Not that comfortable really. As you say a lively back end, with a cast iron block sat over the front axle, and nowt much over the back, it is a fun car!

Franglais:
Less likely to loose your licence with a Stag: more a relaxed Grand Tourer, than a rush-around sports car. Nice V8 rumble, and the cooling issues should be well sorted now. Not so much a design fault as awful quality control at BL. Casting sand has been found in the engines when they failed and were rebuilt. TheTR6 and other PI Triumph had fuel vapourisation issues. Pump would heat up, and hot starts could be a problem. One contemporary “cure” was a wet towel in the boot to throw over the pump!
My last GT6 was only a few years back, and although I`m not (quite) past it yet, it did seem much smaller than when I first had one.
Not that comfortable really. As you say a lively back end, with a cast iron block sat over the front axle, and nowt much over the back, it is a fun car!

Anything other than wisbones/multi link which can retain a decent camber setting across their arc is a compromise.
Swinging arms and to a lesser extent semi trailing arms can jack up to positive camber on the loaded side.

A common problem with the PI was the mechanical metering unit going out of calibration and/or wearing out.

A triple weber conversion was the best solution being way superior to the Lucas PI system just like it was better than the primitive Bosch EFI systems used on the BMW M30 and the Opel 2.8 engines for example.Easier to maintain and better performance in all cases.
Even the multiple throttle Lucas system which was its advantage over the single throttle body German competition.

Ah that’s sad. Sorry for you. The 2000 (along with the Stag) in my humble opinion is one of best looking cars on road. Also always very fond of the Triumph Herald as my Grandad bought a new one every two years and it would always be an exact spec. Sadly he passed when I was 4 so very few memories but one I do have is going round for our regular Sunday lunch and a new one was on the drive. Possibly my earliest ever memory

switchlogic:
Ah that’s sad. Sorry for you. The 2000 (along with the Stag) in my humble opinion is one of best looking cars on road.

^ Good old school 3 box styling so what did they do.Let’s knock the whole lot on the head and make the ugly SD1 coupe hatchback and the Acclaim instead.While BMW go on with the 3/5/7 Series all 3 box styled designs.
That takes a special type of stupid more like sabotage.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=166321&start=330#p2706204