Motorbike pcp

Thoughts , I’ve been looking for a while but after 20 yrs or so with out a motorbike I’m still not sure I’ll use it enough , or maybe even enjoy it , so after speaking to sales lad he suggested instead of spending £8,000 & buying out right , I’d be better to buy on a pcp ( first reaction was not interested ) , dead money
But , thinking about it , brand new Honda cbr650 f , £1400 dep , then £99 pm for 2 yrs , could end agreement earlier if I wanted , but not gone into it that far yet .
In a way it makes sense , but never done anything but cash for years , so has anyone gone the pcp route ? Anyone had a cbr650 f , I was looking zx10r but salesman said after 20 yrs , your age , better to build up slowly , and 650 f is a sensible way back into motorbikes

dozy:
Thoughts , I’ve been looking for a while but after 20 yrs or so with out a motorbike I’m still not sure I’ll use it enough , or maybe even enjoy it , so after speaking to sales lad he suggested instead of spending £8,000 & buying out right , I’d be better to buy on a pcp ( first reaction was not interested ) , dead money
But , thinking about it , brand new Honda cbr650 f , £1400 dep , then £99 pm for 2 yrs , could end agreement earlier if I wanted , but not gone into it that far yet .
In a way it makes sense , but never done anything but cash for years , so has anyone gone the pcp route ? Anyone had a cbr650 f , I was looking zx10r but salesman said after 20 yrs , your age , better to build up slowly , and 650 f is a sensible way back into motorbikes

ZX10R?
How thin, flexible, and fit are you?
If going further than just around the corner is that a good choice?

And buy second hand for cash.
That way you’ll have the money for time off, fuel and hotels rather than the owners and staff of the finance company.

After 20 years off bikes, my advice would be to spend a few hundred quid on a used 125 to see if you still enjoy biking, and to assess your level of confidence and competence. I’ve seen too many returnees going the big bike route - straight to hospital or worse.

Or hire one for a weekend?

Hi dozy I’ve got to agree with fodenway go down the 125-250 route that’s what my brother in law done after a similar time away from biking.cheers Ray p.s how’s the cat? :smiley:

I haven’t ridden for a few years and since my licence has been my income I’m reluctant to go out enjoying myself on a bike that doesn’t make sense at road legal speeds.

In fact I’ve just checked MOT history and my R1 that spends as much time on SORN than on the road hasn’t had 1000 miles put on it…IN 8 YEARS I’ve owned it!!!

If you want to go fast I’d suggest track days with bike hire, possibly a novice only day as your first if you are rusty. I got knocked off and put in hospital 4 years after passing my bike test and the first year riding afterwards I just did trackdays and didn’t have anything for the road.

Oh and the PCP idea - The big money for the salesman comes from the PCP not the bike sale I’ve been told, which my basic logic would suggest it would be the worst for the customer.

PCP explained
moneysavingexpert.com/car-f … -purchase/
If a company is running offices, paying wages and commissions, then someone is paying for it.

njl:
Oh and the PCP idea - The big money for the salesman comes from the PCP not the bike sale I’ve been told, which my basic logic would suggest it would be the worst for the customer.

What about 0% Apr?

i had a break from bikes for about 10yrs (divorced ,ended up in a flat with no where to keep one ) anyway i got the bug and decided sod it im having one . settled on a 650 bandit , brilliant bike but i found it physically small, im 5-11 and 17 st. sold it and got a cbf 1000 , very manageable for its size . depending on your build you may be better going for the larger bike . you dont have to use its potential until your confidence returns . and the cbf is just as happy bimbling along as it is teararsing. ps you can buy one outright for not much more than your deposit.

syramax:
i had a break from bikes for about 10yrs (divorced ,ended up in a flat with no where to keep one ) anyway i got the bug and decided sod it im having one . settled on a 650 bandit , brilliant bike but i found it physically small, im 5-11 and 17 st. sold it and got a cbf 1000 , very manageable for its size . depending on your build you may be better going for the larger bike . you dont have to use its potential until your confidence returns . and the cbf is just as happy bimbling along as it is teararsing. ps you can buy one outright for not much more than your deposit.

That makes sense to me. A 125 or 250 might keep you out of trouble, but won’t be any fun at all.
I’ve now got a Yamaha 850 TDM. Comfortable after a couple of hours as after a few minutes around the corner. Throwing a leg across it is less of a performance than strapping on your knee sliders and body armour.
Plenty fast enough for public roads.

commonrail:

njl:

What about 0% Apr?

AFAIK you will have an upfront payment plus a final payment to keep the vehicle, or give it back on pcp, so your ‘deposit’ could end up being a payment against something that will never be yours, so outlay becomes more about what you’ve paid to rent it for the term.

I see

Franglais:

dozy:

ZX10R?

It’s more what you want that is it sensible , but you only live once

fodenway:
After 20 years off bikes, my advice would be to spend a few hundred quid on a used 125 to see if you still enjoy biking, and to assess your level of confidence and competence. I’ve seen too many returnees going the big bike route - straight to hospital or worse.

This was mrs suggestion, but not seen much what you’d call cheap

stargazer148:
Hi dozy I’ve got to agree with fodenway go down the 125-250 route that’s what my brother in law done after a similar time away from biking.cheers Ray p.s how’s the cat? :smiley:

Cat ( terrorist ) , I was hoping this one would be unlike the daughters , but he seems worse , but the mrs won’t have a bad word said against him

dozy:

Franglais:

dozy:

ZX10R?

It’s more what you want that is it sensible , but you only live once

Half an hour doubled up on a sports bike would be enough for a lifetime for me, but each to their own.

dozy:

stargazer148:

Cat ( terrorist ) , I was hoping this one would be unlike the daughters , but he seems worse , but the mrs won’t have a bad word said against him

:smiley: hi dozy he’ll calm down when you get his r.s.Mc Colls done :open_mouth: cheers Ray