Sale of bagged coal & wet wood restricted

I wonder how this will affect narrow boaters? I follow a few narrow boaters on youtube just to see the beautiful countryside from a different perspective and most of them burn wood & coal. Doesn’t Harry Monk on here have a narrowboat?

“Curbs on the sale of house coal and wet wood for household burning in England have come into force under new rules today aimed at cutting air pollution.”

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56949426

It starts, all part of the climate hysteria due to take over from the present farce, you will do as obscenely rich people tell you.
Maybe those same people own the company store? youtube.com/watch?v=E5VMZqgVzRo

Juddian:
It starts, all part of the climate hysteria due to take over from the present farce, you will do as obscenely rich people tell you.
Maybe those same people own the company store? youtube.com/watch?v=E5VMZqgVzRo

I disagree with your stand on climate change…but that`ll keep for another time.
Here is the same song, different video:
youtube.com/watch?v=CPW3YikDwEM
Hope you appreciate that version too.

Yes, yet more nonsense that the hysterical leftie media, luvvy darling celebs and middle classes will no doubt favour. In the real world people living on narrow boats will just chop their own fire wood and carry on as normal :wink:

bigstraight6:
Yes, yet more nonsense that the hysterical leftie media, luvvy darling celebs and middle classes will no doubt favour. In the real world people living on narrow boats will just chop their own fire wood and carry on as normal :wink:

Yes, yet more nonsense from those who can’t concentrate long enough to read past the first line of an article.

Franglais:

bigstraight6:

Yes, yet more nonsense from those who can’t concentrate long enough to read past the first line of an article.

Tell me, are you a professional bore or is it just a hobby.

bigstraight6:

Franglais:

bigstraight6:

Tell me, are you a professional bore or is it just a hobby.

Might be better than being a boor.

Or even a Boer. Tricky lot them Sith Ifrikans

the maoster:
Or even a Boer. Tricky lot them Sith Ifrikans

Good accent!
Sounds like a cue for a Van Der Moover joke?
Bakker goes to the Van Den Moover farm, where he finds them clearing out the latrines. Van Den Moover is in the pit himself, handing up buckets full of crap to the farm hands.
“What you doing?” shouts Bakker.
“Ha” says Van Den Moover “I dont` take the ■■■■ from no blick man”.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The only bloody perk I get on this job is firewood :unamused: , I save the saw mill cut kickers and bring them home.
They are dry as such but may well not fit the criteria of this latest 'Right on lefty ’ dog ■■■■.campaign that the Govt has rolled over and pandered to.
People have burned wood for thousands of years ffs, I ain’t doubting the pollution problem in the world, but I do not think the pollution genrated by me warming up my lounge to watch a football game is anywhere near that of a Boeing 747 for instance.
So very sorry and all that to the eco warriors on here…but ■■■■ em. :neutral_face: I’ll just put it in my ever increasing and bulging CGAF file. :neutral_face:

It’s nice to see that those environmentally minded predominantly electric car driving self appointed guardians of the planet have turned their gaze to such problematic issues such as log burning. I agree wholeheartedly that there is a desperate need to massively reduce pollution. We saw the dramatic effects almost immediately during lockdown #1. I feel though that taking a flight to a climate change conference kinda reduces the impact however.

Meanwhile here’s a Lithium mine.

7BA2259F-9911-46C1-8B58-9A256EA4DC0A.jpeg

the maoster:
It’s nice to see that those environmentally minded predominantly electric car driving self appointed guardians of the planet have turned their gaze to such problematic issues such as log burning. I agree wholeheartedly that there is a desperate need to massively reduce pollution. We saw the dramatic effects almost immediately during lockdown #1. I feel though that taking a flight to a climate change conference kinda reduces the impact however.

Germany has been building geothermal power stations to replace their nuclear/fossil fuel power stations & their geologist have discovered there is enough lithium in the boiling hot spring water for 400 million BEV battery packs :open_mouth: todaynewspost.com/auto-news/ger … ine-river/

the maoster:

And its effects.It’s worse than lead.
So the fresh water courses get turned into an sulphurous acidic toxic soup downstream of the geothermal/lithium wells and power stations.To add to nuclear power and biomass burning so that ‘developing’ countries can take all the cheap safe fossil fuels.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_toxicity

Carryfast:
‘New rules’ regarding creating the captive market for rip off priced nuclear electric for when they also ‘restrict’ ( ban ) gas.Obviously don’t want any loopholes.Narrow boats will obviously have to plug into the dedicated electric hook ups provided at moorings at let’s say 20p per kwh to pay for the infrastructure.

To be fair on closer reading of the proposal it’s not a ban at all.
Effectively it’s just applying the same smokeless coal requirement that we’ve had in clean air areas since at least the 1960’s.
Anthracite was the usual go to option.Not sure about the supply of it if this means that the clean air act is now going national.I’d like to go back to an enclosed coal fire but no chimney here.

House coal, aka “Polish coal” is being banned but none of us burn that anyway as it’s a filthy fuel which soots up the flue and the roof of the boat very quickly. Processed briquettes such as Excel (which is what I burn) aren’t affected. When narrowboaters do burn wood it’s generally foraged, in my case pallet wood or from along the cut when trees are cut down or back.

This is more aimed at city dwellers who remove clean burning gas appliances and replace them with wood burners because of the trendiness factor.

Be wary of burning treated wood. The ash can have a high content of arsenic and possibly other poisons.
Never cook over treated wood on a BBQ.

Franglais:
Be wary of burning treated wood. The ash can have a high content of arsenic and possibly other poisons.

Pallets haven’t been treated with methyl bromide for over 15 years now so the chances of encountering one are vanishingly small. In any event the treatment method used is noted on the IPPC stamp on one or more corner blocks, HT indicates that it has been heat treated and is therefore safe to burn. Personally I tend to avoid burning wood other than as kindling as the stove needs near constant topping up when using it.

Harry Monk:

Franglais:

Pallets haven’t been treated with methyl bromide for over 15 years now so the chances of encountering one are vanishingly small. In any event the treatment method used is noted on the IPPC stamp on one or more corner blocks, HT indicates that it has been heat treated and is therefore safe to burn. Personally I tend to avoid burning wood other than as kindling as the stove needs near constant topping up when using it.

Provided no nasties have been spilt over a pallet they may well be ok. But treated wood such as fence posts and panels, especially older ones may not be benign. Newer treatments are less hazardous but burning will concentrate chemicals in fine ash.
I’d say err to caution, especially with “found” wood.

Carryfast:

the maoster:

And its effects.It’s worse than lead.
So the fresh water courses get turned into an sulphurous acidic toxic soup downstream of the geothermal/lithium wells and power stations.To add to nuclear power and biomass burning so that ‘developing’ countries can take all the cheap safe fossil fuels.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_toxicity

What a choice for fresh drinking water we have in the not too distant future we face!, Either a toxic mixture of acidic toxic soup or flammable water due to the fracking industry.
We’ll be heading back to the 15th century where they drank ‘small beer’ because the water back then wasn’t fit to drink. :open_mouth: