A job to die for (or in...)

Just had this tempter pop up in my inbox.

The 3 hour unpaid assessment and the 6 drops per hr are the hook for me!
Agency Staffco fyi

Avoid…

And that three hour assessment will turn in to a full shift with no pay .

Thing is though they will always get people to go for it.
They know this, and this is the reason they do it.
The paradox in that is,.would anybody really want the type of person who is daft enough to accept it, working for them.:bulb:

3 hours assessment .Too much

WheelsofCardiff:

I won’t do any job which requires an assessment of any duration, paid or unpaid. I can’t drive naturally and properly if I feel like I am under examination so there’s no point. In any event I get the distinct impression that the average “assessment” is not so much about driving as about the assessor, who is invariably the company’s Numero Uno brown-noser assessing how far you will be willing to bend over and take it without lube for the Traffic Office if you get the job, which in my case is “not very far”. :wink:

What a surprise I’m not seeing must have ‘experience’ of class 1 multi drop.
It would be better to say one drop every 10 minutes.I’m surprised that the TC allows them to get away with putting drivers under this type of high pressure regime zb. :wink:

Oh and it looks like they are trying to avoid paying agency rates to fill a zb job. :laughing:

Now awaits all the usual suspects saying that most drivers don’t want distance bulk drops/full load work.Yeah right.

It’s van or class 3 quality work for class 1 drivers.Ironically there is even some better quality distance van driving work out there than that.

robroy:
Thing is though they will always get people to go for it.
They know this, and this is the reason they do it.
The paradox in that is,.would anybody really want the type of person who is daft enough to accept it, working for them.:bulb:

Do you mean the 6 drops per hour or the ‘assessment’ ?.

For some ( plenty ) who’s face doesn’t fit it’s just standard everyday agency work type dregs of the industry.Of which the industry is sinking ever further into in the rush to cut down on tonne/miles run.
To be replaced with this type of zb or worse handball not cages.

While desperate to pay the bills and/or with the threat of being sanctioned by the Jobcentre for refusal isn’t the same thing as daft. :bulb:

Six drops an hour - by the time you’ve parked up, opened up, dropped and buttoned up that’s gotta be 10 mins - guess you throw the stuff out the window as you drive past.

Harry Monk:

WheelsofCardiff:

I won’t do any job which requires an assessment of any duration, paid or unpaid. I can’t drive naturally and properly if I feel like I am under examination so there’s no point. In any event I get the distinct impression that the average “assessment” is not so much about driving as about the assessor, who is invariably the company’s Numero Uno brown-noser assessing how far you will be willing to bend over and take it without lube for the Traffic Office if you get the job, which in my case is “not very far”. :wink:

That’s the best summary of an “assessment” I’ve seen for a long while! [emoji108]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

WheelsofCardiff:

Exactly, you need 15 minutes conversation to sum him up, find out what he has done in the past, see if he has a brain, then another 15 minutes in the truck to see if he can actually drive…or not.
:bulb:
Job done.

robroy:

WheelsofCardiff:

Exactly, you need 15 minutes conversation to sum him up, find out what he has done in the past, see if he has a brain, then another 15 minutes in the truck to see if he can actually drive…or not.
Job done.

But how will they find out if the poor mug is up to 6 drops per hour every hour if they don’t make him do the job for at least 3 hours to find out. :bulb: :wink:
If it was me they’d be lucky to get 6 drops done in a whole shift. :smiling_imp:

robroy:

WheelsofCardiff:

Job done.

When I was doing agency work last Winter the agency phoned me and said they wanted me to go for an (unpaid) assessment at Hermes.

I looked on TruckNet and discovered that this would take around seven hours.

Then I looked on Wikipedia and discovered that Hermes is privately owned by a German multi-billionaire.

So I phoned the agency and said “Er, I won’t be doing that” :stuck_out_tongue:

Carryfast:
What a surprise I’m not seeing must have ‘experience’ of class 1 multi drop.
It would be better to say one drop every 10 minutes.I’m surprised that the TC allows them to get away with putting drivers under this type of high pressure regime zb. :wink:

Oh and it looks like they are trying to avoid paying agency rates to fill a zb job. :laughing:

Now awaits all the usual suspects saying that most drivers don’t want distance bulk drops/full load work.Yeah right.

It’s van or class 3 quality work for class 1 drivers.Ironically there is even some better quality distance van driving work out there than that.

FFS the record is stuck again

Carryfast:
For some ( plenty ) who’s face doesn’t fit

Another question you never have the answer to is how do people like me join this hallowed club? Because I sure as hell don’t know unknowingly ended up in it

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
For some ( plenty ) who’s face doesn’t fit

Another question you never have the answer to is how do people like me join this hallowed club? Because I sure as hell don’t know

Are you seriously suggesting that the answer to Rob’s question isn’t that some/many just don’t have the option or the choices to turn down such zb work.As I said UC work search commitments will be enough to create the choice of take it or face bankruptcy, starvation and being homeless.
You also didn’t answer the question why no ‘experience’ word in the ad.
As I said class 3 work for class 1 drivers and no one with any sense would take it regardless of the ‘assessment’.
Ironically I’d happily do an unpaid 12 hour ‘assessment’ for the right work.

In fairness, i think the ‘6 drops an hour’ may be a typo. Probably ‘a day’. The whole ad was littered with them. Such as, the title was for class 1 drivers, but in the ‘required section’ it stated you need a class 2 licence.
My guess is the desk jockey that wrote the ad just isn’t very good. So, that plays in to what Rob said, a poor agency advertising for poor drivers to fill a poor job! A marriage made in heaven.

Rush Rush Rush = Avoid

Vague description of what you’ll actually be doing from day to day = Avoid

Working inside London without London Weighting = Avoid

Taking any job involving driving the LBTS inside London before Khaaan has been busted out = Avoid

Having to pass a “SSOW” suggesting that the yard is strongly unionized, resent agency being there on more hourly rate than you, and will backstab at every and any opportunity = Avoid.

“Incentive to recruit another” - How much would you want to be paid to betray and lose a friend? :laughing: :laughing: = Avoid. :neutral_face:

LazyDriver:
In fairness, i think the ‘6 drops an hour’ may be a typo. Probably ‘a day’. The whole ad was littered with them. Such as, the title was for class 1 drivers, but in the ‘required section’ it stated you need a class 2 licence.
My guess is the desk jockey that wrote the ad just isn’t very good. So, that plays in to what Rob said, a poor agency advertising for poor drivers to fill a poor job! A marriage made in heaven.

The ad wasn’t clear that it’s agency ?.
So a typical class ‘2’ ( more like 3 in real money ) agency job in which case that makes the one drop every 10 minutes more likely not less.
Oh and the class 1 isn’t a typo it means that the employer is so desperate that they are happy to pay class 1 rates for a class 3 job.Hence 16 quid per hour to drive a four wheeler.Just confirms everything I’ve said.As for ‘poor’ drivers financially you mean.There but for the grace goes everyone.Great job today Jobcentre tomorrow and their books will be full of those type of jobs take it or leave it and with the latter goes the UC. :bulb: :wink:

Winseer:
Rush Rush Rush = Avoid

Vague description of what you’ll actually be doing from day to day = Avoid

Working inside London without London Weighting = Avoid

Taking any job involving driving the LBTS inside London before Khaaan has been busted out = Avoid

Having to pass a “SSOW” suggesting that the yard is strongly unionized, resent agency being there on more hourly rate than you, and will backstab at every and any opportunity = Avoid.

“Incentive to recruit another” - How much would you want to be paid to betray and lose a friend? :laughing: :laughing: = Avoid. :neutral_face:

All great advice until the reality of mortgage/rent arrears and the Jobcentre saying have you applied for this job, kicks in. :bulb: