Hobby Interest: Elite Dangerous

…Or “Horizons” if you began in 2020, soon to be “Odyssey” if you are starting right now…

Sure, taking stuff from A to B, getting paid to do it, and then going private, buying your own cargo, and selling it for a lot better pay - sounds a bit close to home for most of us truckers in the real world, but hey - it’s a damned good bit of escapism, and it has already been officially noted that this Elite Universe is a damned good way to let off steam, and strangle that creeping “Mental Illness” thing, and nip it in the bud…

Anyone else on here taking part in the largest real-people multi-user game on the planet right now?

Forget Call of Duty/Minecraft etc - those are kids games with limited appeal…

The Universe is rather more unlimited than that, and this virtual world clocked up it’s 500,000th online player last month…

This whole virtual world thing, that even permits people killed in the real world to live on in the (now old-hat) series “Caprica” just a few short years ago, set in the Battlestar Galactica Universe as it was…
Trailer of Pilot episode here, if you never heard of it before… Take a look, and make up your own mind if “Sci Fi” and “Virtual Worlds” are for you…

Any comments? Play this, or other on-line games that interact with real people all over the world?

I remember elite on the zx spectrum I’ve. Probably still got it as got a zx spectrum and 100s. Of games still use it once in a while.
Yes the graphics are rubbish compared to the PlayStation.
But Was huge variety and some.good game.play loose your lives. And have start again from The start.

Alough I do indulge in a bit of GTA v on the PS4.brings out my inner road rage lol

So dangerous it needs it’s own thread

idrive:
So dangerous it needs it’s own thread

Read now before this thread is deleted. :smiley:

I play this. Currently exploring some way away from civilisation and actually Im lost. Going to be a massive grind to get back.

As long as you’ve got a fuel scoop… Keep away from the Brown Dwarfs though, as they cannot be scooped.

There has been some new code added to the game of late, that makes it look a bit like “Agent 47” roleplay.

I have the horizons rather than the new Oddyssey version of the game though, so I’m busy with stuff like mining, buying a fleet of ships, kitting them out, and kicking a fair amount of arse along the way… A good way to let off steam indeed!

Unidentified Signal Source.jpg

My mate has a proper serious setup for this with the pilot sticks and multiple screens etc. It looks pretty awesome. He takes it pretty seriously. He’s also into iracing and does pretty well (e.g. actually came first in one season in the pro division a couple years back).

Hi I’m new to this forum, Im a C2 driver doing day multi drop work includes ADR I’ve been reading all the posts and have just come across this one, I’ve been playing Elite Dangerous since launch, although not so much now. I currently have a vette but always play Solo. Nice to see other drivers playing ED.

Whoosh… :open_mouth:

I’ve managed to make this play quite well - just using a keyboard and mouse…

There are advantages to being a “fast typist” that just cannot be emulated with a joystick that I’d end up wrenching off it’s mount - like I used to do with Atari joysticks years ago… :blush: :blush:

Game is a bit broken at the moment, Oddyssey update has gone a bit pear-shaped.

There are still laffs a plenty though with “names of undesirable criminals” being taken from every book that has ever been written, by the looks of it…

Appropriate promitions too, for those familar with the Dune Franchise… :open_mouth:

I’ve not seen “Boris Johnson” or “Diane Abbot” yet mind…
I’m sure they’ll be along sooner or later though…