Manchester CAZ/ZEZ

I read about them wanting to make Manchester a ZEZ (zero emission zone) back in early 2020 but the pandemic put it on the back burner like all the other local authorities.
We will know by the end of March if this strategy will be implemented :open_mouth:

“The strategy outlines plans to make Manchester a ‘well-connected and zero-carbon city.’ The central aim is for 90% of all trips to the city centre in the morning peak to be made on foot, by cycle or on public transport before 2040.” airqualitynews.com/2021/03/17/m … -strategy/

CAZ/ZEZ or whatever ending in a Z comes along next week, I fear for what was once our City centres with ever more measures to make it more difficult to go there even though the few remaining retail outlets would welcome the footfall, and will fail without it helped along with ‘click on buy out now’ online.
There are so many empty retail outlets in my home city, quite a few have already been converted to student accommodation with more to follow no doubt possibly followed by residential units aimed at first time buyers hence there will be no City centres anymore, just insular residential areas you can only go to by cycle or public transport to visit a citizen.

bigstraight6:
CAZ/ZEZ or whatever ending in a Z comes along next week, I fear for what was once our City centres with ever more measures to make it more difficult to go there even though the few remaining retail outlets would welcome the footfall, and will fail without it helped along with ‘click on buy out now’ online.
There are so many empty retail outlets in my home city, quite a few have already been converted to student accommodation with more to follow no doubt possibly followed by residential units aimed at first time buyers hence there will be no City centres anymore, just insular residential areas you can only go to by cycle or public transport to visit a citizen.

Great comment & you’ve hit the nail on the head. They’re pushing private transport out of congested towns & city centres stating (from what I’ve read) that the private motor cars reign has had over 100 years of stinking out the place & it’s time for change. It will eventually be a snowball effect whereas cars will be pushed out to the suburbs then air quality sensors there will pick up on higher emissions & on & on it will go.
London has just spent £1.5 million on new air quality sensors that can pick up someone ■■■■■■■ in the street :open_mouth: The golden days of motoring are coming to an end according to the bright young people who have left university in the last decade who now have a different idea of how they want things to pan out especially a green agenda.

There are now more people in Europe voting who were born post 1980 than pre 1980 and they want a different world than an old ■■■■ like me who likes cars & driving.
The downside of that is it effects the UK as we’re tied into their Paris accord emission standards & have to follow suite.

lancpudn:
The golden days of motoring are coming to an end according to the bright young people who have left university in the last decade who now have a different idea of how they want things to pan out especially a green agenda.

There are now more people in Europe voting who were born post 1980 than pre 1980 and they want a different world than an old ■■■■ like me who likes cars & driving.
The downside of that is it effects the UK as we’re tied into their Paris accord emission standards & have to follow suite.

You mean Communist indoctrination centres.We don’t ‘have’ to do anything we can tell these Communist muppets to do one and walk away from their bs Chinese ‘accord’ at any time.

The truth is they are scared to fight for resources and they’d rather give them to their Communist friends anyway and it won’t stop at just the fuel.

That’s why we are also seeing the Vegan agenda.Eating meat also supposedly causes ‘climate change’ yeah right so that will also be off the menu like fossil fuel.As usual China is exempt.

Ireland has been there before when it starved for lack of potatoes because its meat and dairy products were being exported to meet a foreign imposed agenda.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:
The golden days of motoring are coming to an end according to the bright young people who have left university in the last decade who now have a different idea of how they want things to pan out especially a green agenda.

You mean Communist indoctrination centres.We don’t ‘have’ to do anything we can tell these Communist muppets to do one and walk away from their bs Chinese ‘accord’ at any time.

The truth is they are scared to fight for resources and they’d rather give them to their Communist friends anyway and it won’t stop at just the fuel.

That’s why we are also seeing the Vegan agenda.Eating meat also supposedly causes ‘climate change’ yeah right so that will also be off the menu like fossil fuel.As usual China is exempt.

Ireland has been there before when it starved for lack of potatoes because its meat and dairy products were being exported to meet a foreign imposed agenda.

We’ll end up being even more indebted to the EU in the coming five years! The EU will be the second largest lithium battery manufacturer behind China within five years and will be self sufficient in lithium batteries creating 90 gigawatt-hours of manufacturing/year which will create hundreds of thousands of new jobs in the process to de-carbonisation transport. Sweden, Hungary & Poland being the major winners after Germany.
The upcoming Euro cat 7 standard will be absolutely brutal for car & truck ICE manufacturers in 2025 that’s when trucks come under the same legislation as passenger cars & truck manufacturers will face the same astronomical fines for missing emission targets as car manufacturers.

It will be bad news for the talented UK workforce & domestic car manufacturers that’s for sure, we’ll end up being be the poor man of Europe in ground transportation.

Which part of the ‘Paris Accord’ is this all about.Consider it our resignation letter.
Or some other agenda. :unamused:

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56503588

Carryfast:
Which part of the ‘Paris Accord’ is this all about.Consider it our resignation letter.

Yeah I read this, they’ll end up in the court of justice again for missing legally binding emission targets, They’re just about to be dragged through the European court of justice for missing their 2020 emission targets, Clientearth environment lawyers have just won their case against Drax power station who were wanting to convert it to natural gas & it’s now been cancelled, The new coal mine in ■■■■■■■ they want to open is currently under investigation by clientearth! Everything to do with fossil fuels is under scrutiny by environment lawyers :open_mouth:
It wont look good if the UK who are hosting the COP26 united nations climate conference in Glasgow this year are seen to be drilling for more oil & gas. :exclamation:
I don’t understand why the UK government are back tracking when they’ve signed legally binding documents to do the exact opposite!!! they’ve just reduced the BEV grant by £500 so car manufacturers have reduced the price of BEV’s to qualify for the grant, The £350 OLEV grant for help to install home chargers is going to finish next year in March 2022.

lancpudn:

Carryfast:

Yeah I read this, they’ll end up in the court of justice again for missing legally binding emission targets, They’re just about to be dragged through the European court of justice for missing their 2020 emission targets, Clientearth environment lawyers have just won their case against Drax power station who were wanting to convert it to natural gas & it’s now been cancelled, The new coal mine in ■■■■■■■ they want to open is currently under investigation by clientearth! Everything to do with fossil fuels is under scrutiny by environment lawyers :open_mouth:
It wont look good if the UK who are hosting the COP26 united nations climate conference in Glasgow this year are seen to be drilling for more oil & gas. :exclamation:
I don’t understand why the UK government are back tracking when they’ve signed legally binding documents to do the exact opposite!!! they’ve just reduced the BEV grant by £500 so car manufacturers have reduced the price of BEV’s to qualify for the grant, The £350 OLEV grant for help to install home chargers is going to finish next year in March 2022.

Whatever the agenda is it has nothing whatsoever to do with ending/reducing the use of fossil fuels.It’s all about ‘who’ burns it not closing down production and use.
It would be great if the government is suddenly waking up to the reality of this stitch up.But I doubt it.
This is all about Brit oil and gas for export to appease our Communist enemies while we turn our own country into a nuked treeless wasteland.That’s why this whole scam is based on local ‘emissions’ not the closure of fossil fuel production.

Home chargers yeah right at 16p per kwh + road fuel duty + 20% VAT + battery costs.That’ll end well when the loss leader subsidies come to an end.That type of tax revenue has to come from somewhere. :unamused:

The truth is you’re pushing an economically and environmentally unviable product.Based on a nuclear fuelled tree burning nightmare.

I don’t remember any ‘climate’ lawyers’ standing for election nor a Green Party or LibDem majority let alone the unelected CCP dominated UN quango to run the show.Let alone when that so called ‘Green’ Policy is based on nukes and biomass burning and the far more effective greenhouse emissions of water vapour from cooling towers.Bearing in mind the part that trees play in converting CO2 to Oxygen.
Green climate change BS.It’s all about we have to burn less so Communist China can burn more supported by their useful idiots and quisling politicians in the west.

Greater Manchester CAZ going live May 2022, “The region has secured £120 million in Government funding to help fleets upgrade to cleaner compliant vehicles with applications opening in November 2021.”

“Van operators can now access up to £4,500 towards the replacement of a vehicle – £1,000 more than initially proposed – and Greater Manchester Hackney Cabs can get up to £10,000. HGVs can now get up to £12,000 towards replacement, nearly three times more than was initially offered, and coaches are now eligible for £32,000.” fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet- … n-air-zone

Not sure why this is in the bar. Very relevant to a lot of drivers and o/drivers.
I think it is a fairly generous offer. Far better to offer a bit of carrot rather than a stick.
Similar scheme is going to be needed to upgrade cars methinks.

The Manchester CAZ is not in effect until May 2022 but it’s already had an extension to tackle the trans-pennine traffic on the A57 & A628 Woodhead pass & Snake pass which will carry the same restrictions for older lorries as the city centre CAZ and non compliant vehicles will have to go the lo9ng way around using the M62 . :open_mouth: airqualitynews.com/2021/07/02/m … e-traffic/

lancpudn:
Greater Manchester CAZ going live May 2022, “The region has secured £120 million in Government funding to help fleets upgrade to cleaner compliant vehicles with applications opening in November 2021.”

“Van operators can now access up to £4,500 towards the replacement of a vehicle – £1,000 more than initially proposed – and Greater Manchester Hackney Cabs can get up to £10,000. HGVs can now get up to £12,000 towards replacement, nearly three times more than was initially offered, and coaches are now eligible for £32,000.” fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet- … n-air-zone

That don’t help as used truck prices have doubled in 6 months

I see the Mayor of Manchester Andy Burnham is calling for the (SRN) Strategic Road Network to be included in Greater Manchester’s CAZ’s :open_mouth: Including the M602 through Salford & stretches of the M6 that pass through Wigan, Also the A575 Worsley & A580 East Lancs rd. fleetnews.co.uk/news/fleet- … ajor-roads

There a lot of non euro 6 vehicles in those areas ,just wondering how long the cameras will last :open_mouth:

Greater Manchester has started installing the necessary cameras and signage ahead of the launch of its Clean Air Zone (CAZ) in May 2022.
The first of around 850 ANPR cameras and 2,000 signs are being installed across the region’s highways network. :open_mouth:
fleetnews.co.uk/news/enviro … n-air-zone

Motorhomes & motorised horse boxes are included in the Manchester CAZ and I know of two people that have these vehicles within the CAZ boundary :open_mouth: I bet they know nowt about the daily charges they will incur moving these vehicles when the CAZ starts next May. Doesn’t say much for the future used market in these vehicles as most of them I see around here are older vehicles.

lancpudn:
Motorhomes & motorised horse boxes are included in the Manchester CAZ and I know of two people that have these vehicles within the CAZ boundary :open_mouth: I bet they know nowt about the daily charges they will incur moving these vehicles when the CAZ starts next May. Doesn’t say much for the future used market in these vehicles as most of them I see around here are older vehicles.

A lot will depend on the legal definition of a “motorhome”. Is the current “motor caravan” category, or the amateur-converted campervan still registered as Private Light Goods included?

lancpudn:

To be fair Manchester isn’t good horse riding/stabling or camping territory.
While larger motorhomes obviously make great EV conversion potential just like 3.5t vans.
Far better than any car type EV in terms of their available battery carrying capacity.
Which is probably why the used prices of such vehicles and large vans are actually only going North.
I’m actually starting to look at 3.5t twin wheel Transits and minibuses for sale in that regard and the prices and demand for them seems to prove the theory.
I’d guess that similar might apply to 7.5 tonners.

fodenway:

lancpudn:

A lot will depend on the legal definition of a “motorhome”. Is the current “motor caravan” category, or the amateur-converted campervan still registered as Private Light Goods included?

Yeah good point, It’s a bit of a grey area. I came across a youtube video by chance & this guy had done a camper conversion on a Toyota Proace diesel and as he lived within the London ULEZ he said he’ll have to get rid of it as he used it every weekend.

lancpudn:

fodenway:

lancpudn:

Yeah good point, It’s a bit of a grey area. I came across a youtube video by chance & this guy had done a camper conversion on a Toyota Proace diesel and as he lived within the London ULEZ he said he’ll have to get rid of it as he used it every weekend.

A mate of mine lives in Dukinfield, and has just spent most of lockdown (and a fair few quid) converting his VW Crafter to a camper. He’s a bit worried, since it’s his daily driver and he’s in central Manchester several times a week with it.