Removing/tearing down of 100/150/200/300 year old monuments

I may fall foul of the PC brigade or the TN Thought Police but seeing the ridiculous and quite unnecessary uproar on TV about the need to remove umpteen Statues throughout the UK of a varied assortment of Individuals from years past and from another time enough is enough and when Worthies such as Winston, Baden Powell and Cromwell come into the “firing line” well IMHO this is totally unacceptable . I am sure that a lot of Lads on TNUK will hold similar opinions as myself. TNUK is the only social platform I use as I have never got involved on the FB, Twitter etc as I have better things to do with my time but surely the Great Silent UK public cannot let this minority of Leftie activists take control and decimate our fine historical heritage ! I don’t know how long my post will survive so come on Lads get stuck into the key board and put into words what you really think !! Cheers Bewick.

Denzil you may end up being a legend in your own time :laughing: or is that as Clint Eastwood puts it your own mind :laughing: :laughing: :blush: ,look well if your old drivers throw you in sea over previously low paid wages :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :blush: :wink:

Are they going to pull down the pyramids and the great wall of China next were they not built by slaves ?

Now then Dan’l I know what your on with ---- you are after the contract so you and the Foden can go around the country lifting these famous and venerable Bronze statues off of their plinths ( and weighing them in no doubt, cash no cheques!) but I would be very careful Dan’l getting too close to the dock side otherwise the Mob of idiots might mistake the Foden and the Monument as both been offensive and into the dock it all will go !! So make sure you are not sat in the cab when it kicks off !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick, I can totally understand your view point on this matter. But I think that you, along with the vast majority of our generation are wholly decent, moral people. I find it hard to imagine that you would be biased against any group based on race/colour. But a good few people are and I fear that people like us, that is white, cannot really imagine the hurt that being subject to racial discrimination causes. Anti-semitism is similarly hurtful.

Many years ago I worked with quite a large team. One member was a ■■■■■■■■■ bloke who could have doubled for Mr T in the old TV show the A Team. Except that he was very well educated and wore nice suits. A lovely bloke to work with. From Togo. Once when I was travelling and just getting settled in to my seat for a lengthy ferry crossing who appears but this bloke. I was very happy to see him and we sat together. To cut the story short I was truly amazed when, a little while in to the crossing, he opened his heart to me and tearfully told me that he thought I was the only bloke in the whole team who did not racially discriminate against him. And he, this big powerful lump of a bloke, told me how much it hurt him mentally. As I said I was amazed and had been quite unaware of this.

So I can understand how after years, no, generations of similar treatment to them and their ancestors the BAME (as they seem to be called collectively now) are saying enough is enough. After the atrocities in the US they are on a roll. And perhaps they are pushing too quickly. Perhaps.

And it is a sad fact that the history taught in nations´ schools invariably reflects the national history that reflects well on that nation, with unfortunate truths overlooked. So, as I say, I can understand how we got here.

Bewick:
Now then Dan’l I know what your on with ---- you are after the contract so you and the Foden can go around the country lifting these famous and venerable Bronze statues off of their plinths ( and weighing them in no doubt, cash no cheques!) but I would be very careful Dan’l getting too close to the dock side otherwise the Mob of idiots might mistake the Foden and the Monument as both been offensive and into the dock it all will go !! So make sure you are not sat in the cab when it kicks off !! :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Well you got me there Dennis ,I’ll let you have this one :wink:

Irregardless of the issue the behaviour displayed on the news as seen should of been dealt with and some examples made .

Imagine if was hauliers running a mock over issue related to the job we would punished severely no doubt .

I am truly sad to say with all that is going on at the moment with Black Lives Matter movement, will in time have an opposite effect in time to come, in my simple life every life matters.

Sculptures/Statues need to be left alone and I would agree that maybe some updating needs to done to the plaques, but when it comes to Winston, Queen Victoria and such there is a line which must never be crossed.

The history of the world is recorded as a reminder for the people of the future and they must learn from the past wether it be good or bad.

Maybe these protestors should get involved in trying to stamp out the gang land & knife culture that is causing more problems in society then a few monuments of people that lived in a
different time & I would also suggest most people know nought about their rights or wrongs.

It’s a pity all those “ students “could’nt occupy their time doing something useful , like maybe er studying . Most of them don’t know what the statues represent until some warp minded lefty tells them their version . They are so flaming entitled it makes me want to commit actual bodily harm . While they are whining on about slavery etc , who do they think sold the African slaves to the white slavers , it was other Africans . Must’nt blame them too much when what history they are taught is whitewashed and sanitised by the idiots who were demonstrating in the 90s . The whole university system is rotten to the core .

Winston Churchill was so “adored” by the men who served in WW2 they voted for Labour in the 45’ election!! In relation to the statues of slave traders and owners etc I don’t have any issues with them being torn down as they should never have been erected in the first place.

Just because a horrible person bequeaths his fortune at the end of his life doesn’t entitle him to be held in reverence until the end of time. Racism is abhorrent and those who practiced it, no matter how long ago, should be named and shamed not held up as pillars of society. Society may have tolerated their views in the 19th century, probably because most people were unaware of the true source of their “fortune”, but we do and should take any steps necessary to remove any and all signs of homage to them.

rigsby:
It’s a pity all those “ students “could’nt occupy their time doing something useful , like maybe er studying . Most of them don’t know what the statues represent until some warp minded lefty tells them their version . They are so flaming entitled it makes me want to commit actual bodily harm . While they are whining on about slavery etc , who do they think sold the African slaves to the white slavers , it was other Africans . Must’nt blame them too much when what history they are taught is whitewashed and sanitised by the idiots who were demonstrating in the 90s . The whole university system is rotten to the core .

• One.

rigsby:

Dave you have repeated word for word what I said to my good lady at the breakfast table this morning about who “supplied” the Slaves to the “Slavers” in the first place ! ( She was most impressed and urged me to contact GMB to effect a bit of balance into the debate!) Well guess who it was their own Chiefs and possibly a few Arabs ( those guys are still into a bit of Slavery I believe even to-day !) But on this point the reaction from the idiots is deafening ! And lets face it however unpalatable if it hadn’t been for the Slave trade in the first place there wouldn’t have been the mass migration from the West Indies to the UK during the 50’s and 60’s so maybe non of these riots and monument defacing might have happened ! Cheers Bewick.

So are we going to vilify all the Cotton Mill owners who bought their raw materiel from the Southern States of America and employed thousands in the Lancashire Mills until cheap imports from an INDEPENDANT India using EXTREMELY cheaper labour effectively wiping out the British Cotton Industry ! No problem there then for the Idiots !! All this current aggro is of another time when life was vastly different so why it is been “raked up” from the distant past, particularly in a tolerant country as the UK beats me it really does so I say get a life and concern yourselves with the ■■■■ we are all in trying to get over the Virus ! Cheers Bewick.

You can’t rewrite history.
Nobody is happy about slavery.If you want to do something about it start tackling modern slavery.Several incidents have been in the courts recently.
Slavery in Africa and the arab world is still widespread.

Gidders:
You can’t rewrite history.
Nobody is happy about slavery.If you want to do something about it start tackling modern slavery.Several incidents have been in the courts recently.
Slavery in Africa and the arab world is still widespread.

Wot he said it is history can’t change it but we can move on in harmony.

I notice Mr Javelin has chucked in the usual leftist agender in a vain attempt to drag this thread into a mire of argument . I am all for reasoned discussion , but his post was directly quoted from the current leftist agender , perhaps he was asleep during history lessons . History is shades of grey , not all black and white . (Not referring to skin colour) .

Arguably the most successful leader under the sun for bringing the youth of the world together to share culture, language and fellowship is about to have his statue thrown into the harbour. Good luck with that one chaps! I await the backlash of anger against the current fascist version of what was once the laudable and worthy BLM movement with interest.

PS. You will have noticed that this thread has now been moved to BULLY’S TRUCKSTOP.

Trump calls Covid19 the Chinese disease Sky News up in arms
Amazon tribesman calls Covid19 the white mans disease … nothing said

I agree with all that Mr Bewick has said…100%
Hell, the authorities are boarding up The Cenotaph in Whitehall to save it from being vandalised by ‘rent a mob’.

dave docwra:
I am truly sad to say with all that is going on at the moment with Black Lives Matter movement, will in time have an opposite effect in time to come, in my simple life every life matters.

Sculptures/Statues need to be left alone and I would agree that maybe some updating needs to done to the plaques, but when it comes to Winston, Queen Victoria and such there is a line which must never be crossed.

The history of the world is recorded as a reminder for the people of the future and they must learn from the past wether it be good or bad.

Maybe these protestors should get involved in trying to stamp out the gang land & knife culture that is causing more problems in society then a few monuments of people that lived in a
different time & I would also suggest most people know nought about their rights or wrongs.

As Dave has stated,All Lives Matter,not just Black Lives Matter,which surely is a racial
comment,Baden Powell statue in Dorset to be relocated before it’s vandalized,where does it end,its PC gone mad…James Herriot said he liked Wensleydale cheese,the vegan movement want to smash his statue up in Yorkshire…what?

David

am i the only one who thinks “black lifes matter” is completely ignored as being openly racist?

if i went down to hyde park corner with a few white mates with banners proclaiming white lifes matter,then we would all be sitting in the same cell as tommy robinson within 5 mins.
theres no racism unless you are a white man.