Universal basic income - £1600 a month

Zac_A:

Franglais:
Firstly, the proposed scheme is a trial to see whether or not it works in the real world.

Yes, I know that, I can read too

Franglais:
Whether it is weekly or monthly paid is surely an irrelevance to the idea?

It is supremely relevant if the money is designed to help people survive and/or thrive, some people simply cannot cope with a monthly income, especially those who might have addictions of some kind.

Franglais:
It is meant to satisfy the needs of a basic* life (the clue is in the name).

Seriously? You’re going to try to get patronising with me? You might want to reconsider that

Franglais:
It isnt meant to be satisfying for all of ones wishes or aspirations.

I can only assume your experience of the UK population is very different from mine. People will take it and complain it’s not enough because they will want it to support their desired lifestyle. Middlesbrough is just along the road from me, one of the most deprived areas of the country, I’m under no illusions how people in some parts of that area think. In fact…

Data from the latest census shows the North East is the part of England with the highest proportion of deprived households.
It found that in the wider North East, 54.6% of homes were classed as deprived in at least one of the four dimensions used to classify deprivation. That was the highest rate in England and Wales.
chroniclelive.co.uk/news/no … t-25911523

Franglais:
If some one wants more, then they get a job and get more.

I would refer you to my comment above re “experience of the UK population”

Franglais:
*The clue is in the name! :smiley:

:unamused: What a second attempt to be patronizing? Normally I’d say you’re one of the more decent posters, but if you want to be arsey with me I can easily return the compliment. So with that in mind, I’d say your understanding of basic human nature is highly flawed if you think “free money” wouldn’t cause problems, and it’s a sad day when a Winseer post is more on the ball than yours

Winseer:
The correct way to implement a “universal basic income” - is to only pay it to those who have a job that currently has tax deducted.

Hey Presto, every layabout in the country will be eager to take on any minimum waged job going - just to qualify for the freebie money on top!

They’d have to do enough hours to get beyond the tax free threshold too, of course… No “part time” option available, nor “volutary unpaid work” nor “Internships” nor “training schemes” neither.

So lets *see* if such a scheme can work in the UK then? There may well be issues, be amazing if there werent, but I reckon it is better to give this a fair shot.

Are you suggesting that the NE is particularly badly off because they as a group are particularly inept at managing money?
Because you have seen examples of it?

From your link:
“It found that in the wider North East, 54.6% of homes were classed as deprived in at least one of the four dimensions used to classify deprivation. That was the highest rate in England and Wales. The nationwide average was 51.7%”.
A bit worse off, yes. But, surely you arent suggesting that is because they are more feckless up there? Isnt it because there is economic activity there?
Is an area worse off because the people are wasteful with money, or because they have less of it?

If people cant manage on monthly UBI then why would they manage on monthly salary? As I said the *period of payment* makes no difference to the idea of UBI. Argue that those with addictions need to help with their financial management, and Ill agree. But that is again irrelevant, to the idea of UBI.

UBI isnt meant to be an upgraded dole payment. It isnt just for the feckless, druggies, layabouts etc.
There is a minority who do need help with cash, and that is the same whether they get dole, UBI, or a big win on the pools.
It will need to be more common before older attitudes to employment change maybe.
I was attempting at humour, not to be patronising, but I don`t think you are seeing the way this could go in the future.