Diabetis Free meter / lancets/ strips

May help someone , after asking about if we could get test strips on prescription ( free ) , we were told they couldn’t do it for the meter I’d got , but ( doctors ) we’re going to provide me with a different meter / lancets/ test strips on prescription , free
Can’t remember which as daughter deals with it , but either test strips or lancets were £18 a time so worth asking if your diagnosed with diabetis ( also once diagnosed all prescriptions are free )

dozy:
May help someone , after asking about if we could get test strips on prescription ( free ) , we were told they couldn’t do it for the meter I’d got , but ( doctors ) we’re going to provide me with a different meter / lancets/ test strips on prescription , free
Can’t remember which as daughter deals with it , but either test strips or lancets were £18 a time so worth asking if your diagnosed with diabetis ( also once diagnosed all prescriptions are free )

Hi Dozy.

I currently use a Freestyle Lite that I bought from Boots, and I get my strips on repeat prescription

We were given this one by doctors ( free ) & they give us lancets/ slips to go with it on prescription ( free ) green devil , the lancets though are just a general one as they can’t get the exact one for monitor they provided so they say , we are still using the original monitor we brought though as daughter got us loads of lancets / strips when she got it for me

86CF31DB-D21A-47A2-9594-EFDE35A1554E.jpeg

The doctors offered me a free one recently that supposedly allows them to download your test results. I refused it because I don’t like all this smart technology

The problem with doctors is that they are usually not diabetics themselves - so the results they want to see are not always practical or achievable on a day to day basis. Best to concentrate on keeping you HbA1c at a decent level. That gives a 3 month rolling average, so if you have a few days of higher readings on your meter, you can pull it back in line to keep your average OK

It’s easy to become obsessed with the meter readings and, provided you are type 2, you don’t have to worry too much about on the spot readings. Type 1 is an entirely different condition though, and you MUST act immediately if the reading is low. “Don’t drive below 5” is best practice

Diabetes of either type can be daunting at first, but it gets easier over time. I’ve had it for 42 years now (since I was 17) and I’m still here!