Metaformin

I was put on this from last sat , told to take one for a week for my body to get used to it then take 2 per day from then on , as above prescriptions are free but assumed it was just for diabetic medicine , diabetic nurse said I’m fine to drive so haven’t informed anyone

You dont have to inform anyone for type 2 or Metaforin. Nurse should have told you but she told you you can drive HGV which is right.
If you check on DVLA and or Gov.UK, its written there somewhere.

You might want to warn the rest of the household when you are on full dose , my mrs is on it and she has to run for the loo as soon as she gets up . It gives her the trots first thing and it smells awful . Read the leaflet , it tells you that it causes those problems .

Don’t seem now to affect me at all other than keeping blood / sugars at a decent level , I think , would like to one day not need them , but according to diabetic nurse I’ll always need them , but you never know

Apparently you should have a yearly review when using metaformin , mine was due in sept , nurse I had for diabetis review said she doesn’t do them , so seems like not happening , poor really

18 months & still no review , must admit I’ve not pushed it as other health issues which were more important, ,diabetis has taken a back seat , but no real excuse for doctors to not book in for a review

Still no review , really poor of doctors ,

Just a note to remind you to inform DVLA. All group 2 (bus or lorry) licence holders taking medication for diabetes need to inform DVLA.
This is where you will find the information: assets.publishing.service.gov.u … _Final.pdf
Having said that DVLA are quite relaxed about people on metformin. However, there are some diabetic tablets (most commonly gliclazide) which very occasionally will cause an unexpectedly low blood sugar which can be dangerous. If you take gliclazide you need to do a finger prick blood test every two hours throughout the working day if you’re driving a bus or lorry.
DVLA are very strict about enforcing this if they know a driver is on gliclazide.

dozy:

What’s wrong with you picking up a phone for 5mins to phone your GP and asking a simple question about where you’re up to with your diabetic review? Then you’ll get a good answer and know for sure.

It’s not rocket science!! :smiley:

It’s a regular medication and your employer should be informed so that it’s noted for insurance purposes.
If it’s not declared it could and I say COULD invalidate the insurance.

dieseldave:

dozy:

What’s wrong with you picking up a phone for 5mins to phone your GP and asking a simple question about where you’re up to with your diabetic review? Then you’ll get a good answer and know for sure.

It’s not rocket science!! :smiley:

As if the question hasn’t been asked , the last time they decided to do a review , I turned up at doctors to be told by the nurse she doesn’t do med reviews , you can ask as many times as you like , whether they act / do something is another thing , or it is with my doctors
Nb I’d do a emoji so as to look like I’m not being assy , but I can’t anymore , I guess your putting more sanctions on me , not content with basic pre- mod

nick2008:
It’s a regular medication and your employer should be informed so that it’s noted for insurance purposes.

All I know is when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetis the diabetic nurse who informed me of this said I was fine to continue driving , I’m agency & all they’ve done is check lisense

dozy:
… Nb I’d do a emoji so as to look like I’m not being assy , but I can’t anymore , I guess your putting more sanctions on me , not content with basic pre- mod

You’ve already mentioned that in this topic:

… in which you got an answer and then you were asked a question (some days ago,)
but choose not to answer it, then spoil a separate topic in this forum. :unamused:

dozy:

nick2008:

All I know is when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetis the diabetic nurse who informed me of this said I was fine to continue driving , I’m agency & all they’ve done is check lisense

She may have been correct to say you’d be OK to drive - but as a lorry licence holder you MUST notify DVLA using the appropriate form if your diabetes is treated by tablets or non-insulin injections. If treated with insulin then you MUST stop driving until DVLA say you can resume.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

dozy:

nick2008:

She may have been correct to say you’d be OK to drive - but as a lorry licence holder you MUST notify DVLA using the appropriate form if your diabetes is treated by tablets or non-insulin injections. If treated with insulin then you MUST stop driving until DVLA say you can resume.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thankyou Roymondo , I’ll try & find out about this form

dozy:

gov.uk/diabetes-driving

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

dozy:

gov.uk/diabetes-driving

Reading that I need to check with nurse if I need to inform dvla that I take metaformin , my next review is early June so I will ask the question , though if it’s like normal it will be another I don’t deal with that
But thanks again roymondo
Nb you’d of thought the diabetic nurse would of gone through all this when first diagnosed not just said your ok to carry on driving

No Dozy you need to check with DVLA, not the nurse. It’s your licence, not hers.

i have a medication review every 6 month and a yearly diabetes rescanning at the hospital

Immigrant:
i have a medication review every 6 month and a yearly diabetes rescanning at the hospital

Never had any diabetis checks done at hopital other than circulation in legs , and that was only doctor couldn’t see me so went upto out of hours at hospital , diabetic checks are 3 months , will be 2 yrs in sept since diagnosed with diabetis , not had a medication review yet , asked many a time but when I get there the nurse says she doesn’t do them ( medication review )
Eye testing done at clinics is very good though .