double vision

a month ago after a day of driving in blinding sun wearing shades much of the time next morn i woke with blinding headache and the following day i awoke with double vision! [only when i tilted my head off to the right] anyhow after a few hellish days ended up at A and E diagnosed migraine [still had dull headache]
Managed to wangle limited driving for a few weeks and its gradually gone back to normal now. Anyone had anything like it ?

I believe a bloke called ■■■■■■■ has had something similar. :imp: :smiling_imp:

as a side note as soon as i got this vision prob and announced it my missius went daft/deaf and became totally unhelpful couldnt answer phone without bawling . Even rang up doc same day as me telling them she is confused /cant hear …sorry doctor youll have to speak up etc had me the wounded animal goin shopping with double vision all sorts of stuff unecessary shopping baby wipes safety ear buds and can i cut her toenails etc. Any idea what that was all about? Naturally she pulled herself out of it as my own condition improved

Are you sure it’s migraine?
I’ve had migraine since a kid.
I’ve had blinding headaches, and sickness, shivering…like a hangover but 2x worse.
Can’t stand the light, spent hours in the bunk at different times over the years, you just can NOT work during a real migraine,.and have to lie down.
But NEVER experienced double vision in all that time.
I’d be getting a second opinion tbh mate.

robroy:
Are you sure it’s migraine?
I’ve had migraine since a kid.
I’ve had blinding headaches, and sickness, shivering…like a hangover but 2x worse.
Can’t stand the light, spent hours in the bunk at different times over the years, you just can NOT work during a real migraine,.and have to lie down.
But NEVER experienced double vision in all that time.
I’d be getting a second opinion tbh mate.

i dont think it was migraine but i had all the tests at the hosp and that was their conclusion. iv since googled and double vision can be everything from a optic nerve palsy to MS or brain tumour. im leaning towards the nerve palsy as my recovery time seems to fit that. nerve palsy bit like bells palsy in that you dont recover overnight. in fact i got worse for a week then gradually better . it was worse when walking could not judge the kerb edge as i saw 2 of em .The day i ended up at A and E i tripped on a kerb entering hospital grounds nearly bust my ankle

I’m sure double vision is a condition that you might need to report to the DVLA too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corij:
a month ago after a day of driving in blinding sun wearing shades much of the time next morn i woke with blinding headache and the following day i awoke with double vision! [only when i tilted my head off to the right] anyhow after a few hellish days ended up at A and E diagnosed migraine [still had dull headache]
Managed to wangle limited driving for a few weeks and its gradually gone back to normal now. Anyone had anything like it ?

Have you looked up ocular myasthenia gravis, it’s symptoms are sore head’s double vision and droopy eyelid’s, has to be reported to dvla .

Globetrotter2608:

corij:

Have you looked up ocular myasthenia gravis, it’s symptoms are sore head’s double vision and droopy eyelid’s, has to be reported to dvla .

i now bleve what happened to me was in the bright sun i pulled an eye muscle. Never heard of it but google told me its a go-er + everything fits,the double vision,dull headache AND slow day by day recovery to normal vision as the muscle healed itself . pulled muscles wherever on your body seem to take weeks at the minimum to heal ,i once pulled a back muscle and that took weeks maybe couple of months .Anyhow im grateful for the replies this forums very good like that[problem solving]

You say you were wearing shades-were they prescription or off the shelf? Might be worth a visit to the optician (I refuse to say should have gone to Specsavers).Even good quality shades are not optically correct. Just a thought.

Beau Nydel:
You say you were wearing shades-were they prescription or off the shelf? Might be worth a visit to the optician (I refuse to say should have gone to Specsavers).Even good quality shades are not optically correct. Just a thought.

they were quite small sunglasses for starters- cheap 10 quid sort . i remember clearly that hot sunny day ,very bright sun and a couple of times i hadnt even got them on ,to look at something on a clipboard and then looked up at someone shouting out a window that sort of thing /so i was squinting for probably a minute as the sun reflected off the glass i was only feet away from the glass. Ive since bought big sunglasses that are more designed for fishermen these have side shades on the arms to block out sun from the side too . These were still cheap but uv400 ,defo block out bright sunlight

It’s not necessarily the UV value that is important, it’s whether they are optically correct. If you have even a slight vision problem, possibly one you are not even aware of, an off the shelf pair will accentuate it and cause symptoms similar to what you describe.

Beau Nydel:
It’s not necessarily the UV value that is important, it’s whether they are optically correct. If you have even a slight vision problem, possibly one you are not even aware of, an off the shelf pair will accentuate it and cause symptoms similar to what you describe.

whats your experience of opticians ? are they a place thatll try to sell you allsorts ,i mean are they a bit like a garage where you go in with a squeak but end up with new discs all round? if so whats the best approach? i dont want to go in as a double visioned squinter where the £ signs are so obvious how deep are your pockets Sir? . iv never had a vision prob till that episode and now its back to normal

Just go in for an eye test( no connection but always liked Coop for reasonable price and advice) explain your problem and see what they advise.
Remember even the likes of rayban etc aren’t necessarily optically correct unless they’ve been supplied and checked by an optician.
You’ve only got one set of eyes -look after them!