Migraine Meds

Hi My son drives Class 1 HGV. He has only been doing it less than a year. He gets migraines but refuses to try to sort any medication even for on his days off because he is afraid it would show up in a urine test and/or affect his driving. Do you know if there is anything he can safely take? Thanks

In my experience migraine meds make me really drowsy. If I took one I’d have to be sure I could go to sleep within 30 mins.

As for showing up in tests I’m not sure how long they remain in the body for. But my doctor said that paracetamol and ibuprofen are kind of designed to work together. He said take paracetamol then exactly half hour later take the ibuprofen. For me it works a treat. And no drowsiness.

Might be worth seeking advice from the doc they’ll know more about how long it lasts in the system etc. The ones I’ve had have been prescribed by doc , so surely if it did come up in a test he could explain why and be alright seeing as he wouldn’t be working while actually taking them.

He can take the medication at home.If it is anything prescribed make sure he carries the box with him.If they need a sample he can explain and show them the pack.

I get migraine sometimes lay me up for 2 days

I do take a number of other medications including paracetamol & ibuprofen without a problem never been asked to do a urine test or anything like that

But maybe he should speak to his GP who may advise him better that putting up with the migraine there may be an underling problem or what causes them

I’ve suffered migraines on and off since I was a kid.
I can go months to a year without one, or sometimes they get fairly frequent.
I take co.codamol on bad occasions, as for it showing up on any co drug test?..,.I could not give a ■■■■, I ain’t going to suffer all day with migraine, on the off chance that some prick in an office would mistake me for a coke head or something :unamused: , they have been legally prescribed for me, so that’s good enough for me.

Triptans (e.g. Buy Sumatriptan Online only £15.99 - Lowest UK Price) are usually really well-tolerated by people who use them and get rid of a migraine very quickly. I don’t think it would show up in a urine test either. Surely that’s just for illicit substances/medications that compromise your ability to drive?

You don’t generally get a prescription for Paracetamol or Ibuprofen, they are about 13p a pack in any Supermarket.

I would go and get a free eye test from ASDA