Driving with one arm due to disability

Hi, I have a paralysed left arm, following a hit and run way back in 2000.

I had my Class 2 (Cat C) licence already, although it was suspended as I did not have any medicals. Back then, I originally got a car fitted with a steering vall and a Lodgesons infra red hand control. This device worked all of the lights incl indicators, wipers, horn - all the main controls.

Moving forward a few years, I found it easier and, arguably safer, for me to drive without the adaptation. As any of you who’ve driven with just a steering wheel ball will know, they are great when reversing or for slow manoeuvres, but they get in the way and for me, it massively increased the pressure on my wrist.

Four years ago, I started a new venture driving a 7.5ton vehicle locally doing something similar to the SnapOn vans - kind of multi drop, kind of not. Anyway, I’ve been driving it fine every day for four years - no problem. It’s got an auto gearbox, as my license was restricted by DVLA due to the disability.

Move forward to today and I need to change jobs, due to the massive impact the physical side of my current role is having on my only working arm. Basically, I will lose use of that too if I carry on.

I love driving and I love driving wagons even more. Yesterday, I had a driving assessment by a haulage company for a Cat C driving job. Ultimately, I want to achieve my C+E licence and drive artics moving containers, rather than general haulage.

Unfortunately, I failed the assessment. It was mainly because it involved using tail lifts and, put simply, it was an accident waiting to happen as I struggled to release the cam to lower the tail, whilst still being fully in control of it. I also failed the driving assessment as the assessor deemed I was not fully in control of the vehicle at all times, due to ‘crossover’ of my right hand when using the indicator stalk, or the hand/parking brake.

Personally, I thought the driving went well, however, I respect the assessor’s decision but it has left me wondering what I need to remain ‘in control’ of the vehicle and whether I’m currently driving other than in accordance with my licence.

I have codes 11 & 35 on my licence. 11 is auto (& semi-auto) gearbox, 35 is adapted hand controls.

I have sought clarification from DVLA regarding code 35, but they could not offer anything.

I have searched for vehicle adaptations for LGV/HGVs, but I cannot really find anything. I’ve contacted the manufacturer of the kit I used in my car, but theirs will not translate to 24V and is not approved for use in Hgvs.

I know another driver who has one arm amputated. He has since passed his C and C+E licence using just a steering wheel knob. Am I correct in assuming that if the instructor and examiner both deemed him to be in full control of the vehicle, that is all I would need?