WTF ?

Is this another (or similar) one…■■?

dpdhl.csod.com/ats/careersite/J … eed&site=4

Pretty sure I did this apprenticeship back when they were called White Arrow, for no obvious reason it started in November and ended in January

Goldfinger:
Is this another (or similar) one…■■?

dpdhl.csod.com/ats/careersite/J … eed&site=4

I think if you were a youngster trying to get into the industry, and especially in that area, that’s a good wage. Especially as they’re going to pay for both your licences. Not a hint of nmw about it. I know trade team is a tough gig, but I’d bite their hand off

I’ve just re read the ad…

Scroll to the bottom, and it states you don’t need a ‘work permit’…

OVLOV JAY:

Roymondo:

OVLOV JAY:
Twelve weeks of below minimum wage employment, with a ‘sorry but you can’t make 300 drops a day’ as the excuse why they give you the bullet :unamused:

It doesn’t say how much the “trainee drivers” are paid during their 12 weeks.

Apprenticeships are exempt from nmw. A general rule of thumb says that if the rate isn’t advertised, it’s normally crap

But it’s not an apprenticeship…

What’s the ‘Legalities’ of wording an ad?

Would one word (apprenticeships), change anything regarding wages etc…?

Les Shoes:
Pretty sure I did this apprenticeship back when they were called White Arrow, for no obvious reason it started in November and ended in January

Ah yes…the dark blue vans with the very big white arrow down the sides…

OVLOV JAY:
Apprenticeships are exempt from nmw. A general rule of thumb says that if the rate isn’t advertised, it’s normally crap

They’re not exempt, but have a lower minimum hourly rate for apprentices under 19 or in the first year, which is currently £3.40.

Glen A9:

OVLOV JAY:

They’re not exempt, but have a lower minimum hourly rate for apprentices under 19 or in the first year, which is currently £3.40.

Well £3.40 an hour is a exemption from the nmw of £7.20 :confused:

OVLOV JAY:

Glen A9:

OVLOV JAY:

There isn’t a single NMW, there are four rates depending on age and an apprentice rate.
£7.20 is the rate for workers aged 25 and over who aren’t in the first year of an apprenticeship.

Glen A9:

OVLOV JAY:

Glen A9:

OVLOV JAY:

There isn’t a single NMW, there are four rates depending on age and an apprentice rate.
£7.20 is the rate for workers aged 25 and over who aren’t in the first year of an apprenticeship.

The rate of £3.40 an hour is an exemption from the nmw. Just because there is a rate, doesn’t mean it isn’t an exemption, otherwise there wouldn’t be an apprentice rate and they’d get the nmw. There’s nothing stopping a company taking on a 30 year old, putting them through their licence and calling it an apprenticeship. And paying that person £3.40 an hour for a year. Whether they’d find someone willing to do that is a different matter

OVLOV JAY:
The rate of £3.40 an hour is an exemption from the nmw. Just because there is a rate, doesn’t mean it isn’t an exemption, otherwise there wouldn’t be an apprentice rate and they’d get the nmw.

There is a lower rate of the NMW for apprentices, that isn’t an exemption, in that same way as under 18s aren’t exempt.
The whole point in an apprenticeship is that the employer is providing an employee with training to gain a formal qualification in the industry while they work.

There’s nothing stopping a company taking on a 30 year old, putting them through their licence and calling it an apprenticeship. And paying that person £3.40 an hour for a year. Whether they’d find someone willing to do that is a different matter

An apprenticeship needs to be training to towards some kind of recognised qualification, you can’t just call any kind of training an apprenticeship, there would be a lot more to it than just gaining a vocational driving licence.

The fact apprenticeships carry their own rate, is an exemption from national minimum wage rates. If there wasn’t a specific rate, apprentices would be paid the rate for their age. If that £3.40 an hour was only applicable under the age of 18, I would agree. But the fact is, if at 36 I wanted to become an electrician, I could be paid the apprentice rate. Yet if I wanted to be an electricians mate, fetching and carrying all day, I’d need to be paid over double that rate. So how exactly is the apprentice rate not an exemption from the minimum wage?