Wtd brakes

i…uhhh…ummm…:
This video explains WTD rules.

youtu.be/u51Fjb9WjCU

Sorry to pick fault but there are mistakes and inconsistencies in that video.

• At 2:34 he says that night time working is 00:00 to 04:00 or 23:00 to 06:00 depending where you read it from, night time working for HGV drivers is 00:00 to 04:00 and for PCV drivers it’s 01:00 to 05:00, this information is clear in the regulations.
  • You do not have to complete a 15 minute break before 6 hours (as said at 4:36).
  • You do not have to complete a 30 minute break before 9 hours unless you’re only working 9 hours (as said at 4:40 and again at 5:20).
  • A break at the immediate end of the shift does not count for the RT(WT)R (as shown at 5:30).

Fair play to him for making the video but if you’re going to that much trouble I would have thought it was worth taking the trouble to check the facts are correct.

I’m just gonna book a half hour break over the 9 hour point and see if I pick up a wtd infridgement of course I’ll take a 15 before the 6… transport manager says I’ll get one we shell see

tachograph:

i…uhhh…ummm…:
This video explains WTD rules.

youtu.be/u51Fjb9WjCU

Sorry to pick fault but there are mistakes and inconsistencies in that video.

• At 2:34 he says that night time working is 00:00 to 04:00 or 23:00 to 06:00 depending where you read it from, night time working for HGV drivers is 00:00 to 04:00 and for PCV drivers it’s 01:00 to 05:00, this information is clear in the regulations.
  • You do not have to complete a 15 minute break before 6 hours (as said at 4:36).
  • You do not have to complete a 30 minute break before 9 hours unless you’re only working 9 hours (as said at 4:40 and again at 5:20).
  • A break at the immediate end of the shift does not count for the RT(WT)R (as shown at 5:30).

Fair play to him for making the video but if you’re going to that much trouble I would have thought it was worth taking the trouble to check the facts are correct.

Yeah, I agree with you there. The points above do clear some of the issues up as I have being driving a HGV for just over a year now and still getting to grips with the rules. For point 4, near the end of your shift could you say have 15 min break then 1min other work, then clock off? Otherwise I think the video did at least help visually for me.

There’s 2 parts to the wtd breaks.

1. The 6 hour rule
    you can’t work more than 6 hours at any point without a 15 min break, a break of 15 or more allows you to work upto another 6 hours before needing another 15 min break. This works the same as driving 4.5 hours and a 45. (Only driving and other work count as working time)

2. The total break
    This is dependent on the amount of working time in the shift, only driving and other work count as working time for the wtd.

0-6 hours of working time = 0 break required
Over 6 but not over 9 = 30 mins of break/s
Over 9 = 45 mins of break/s required.
A shift can only be have 1 of the 3 apply, so ignore the other 2

Breaks can be taken anywhere in the shift to count towards the total required, except the very beginning or end of the shift, so each break must have at least 1 min of work either side of it and they must be at least 15 mins long to count.

So anyone who drives over 4.5 hours in a shift will have a 45 for that and tick the total break box for any shift, so all they’ll need to worry about is the 6 hour rule.

This is the extreme example of what is legal

Work 6
Break 15
Work 6
Break 15
Work 2:14
Break 15
Work 1 min

i…uhhh…ummm…:
For point 4, near the end of your shift could you say have 15 min break then 1min other work, then clock off?

Yes that would be fine, for the WTD breaks cannot be at the immediate start or end of the shift.

It may not comply with the spirit of the law but it complies with the letter of the law :smiley:

Sent from my mobile.

Edit: To clarify, you have to start a break before going over 6 hours it doesn’t have to be completed by 6 hours.