Wrong fuel at the pump

albion1971:

wing-nut:
Nothing to do with fuel at pump, but I remember many years ago a sweet factory near me had a delivery of heating oil and driver connected hose up to sugar tank :unamused: :unamused:

Ha ha I remember a driver from one of our other depots connected up to what he thought gas oil tank but it was a kerosene tank which was already almost full.
After connecting and starting to pump the fuel he promptly jumped in the cab and fell asleep (not allowed)
It was windy and the fuel coming out of the overflow which was high up was spraying over a nice little thatched cottage!
Needless to say nobody could wake him up over the engine noise and the the cottage was drenched in kerosene and ruined.
That driver was sacked. :blush:

Iā€™d say he got off lightly rather than alightā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

I see no mention of petroleum certificatesā€¦the pre-delivery document signed by both driver & sites competent person to confirm correct connections have been made & sufficient ullage in tank. Itā€™s not always the drivers fault when crossovers happen!

As already mentioned, it does happen far more than you might expect but is often spotted before any problems with misfuelling occur.

Yes the safety device is called a brain!

busteredwards:
I see no mention of petroleum certificatesā€¦the pre-delivery document signed by both driver & sites competent person to confirm correct connections have been made & sufficient ullage in tank. Itā€™s not always the drivers fault when crossovers happen!

As already mentioned, it does happen far more than you might expect but is often spotted before any problems with misfuelling occur.

Who is the "site competent person"?

When you see a boiler-suited tanker driver disgourging his load into the fuel bunkers - that ethnic guy whoā€™s locked himself in the cashden they operate from ainā€™t coming out of there to ā€œcheck off the loadā€ or do anything in the forecourt whatsoever.

When was the last time YOU saw the lone cashier come out of their box to go for a ā– ā– ā– ā–  - let alone do any ā€œchecking offā€ of any kind? :unamused:

Maybe Iā€™ve been on nights too long, and the place is a hive of administrative activity during the daytime when Iā€™m not aboutā€¦ :blush:

This very thing happened in our town in the Co-op last week, 3 tankers lined up to take the contaminated fuel away and garage closed for 2 days.

busteredwards:

It is always the Drivers fault when there is a crossover.
The Driver is the person who pulled the handle to release the Fuel. That is the last chance to check.

I think it is possible, a driver I knew went for training for BP and was told you are allowed one, then sacked second time.

busteredwards:

Are they still in use? In the late 80ā€™s, early 90ā€™s when we had to order tankers, we had to predict how much we would need after dipping the tanks.
I hated doing it when my oppo was on holiday. Sometimes the certificate was completed post delivery :wink:

A friend of mine who has a Shell garage said he never had to do that as tank dipping and ordering was all automated and he wasnā€™t involved,
nor is he involved in the delivery.

I work in this industry. Cross Overs do happen. There were 6 last year on the contract I work on. Thatā€™s not too bad considering how many 1000ā€™s of deliveries take place and how many tens of thousands separate connections are made. No third party customers were affected because the drivers had spotted their mistake before sales occurred.
No driver will be sacked as long as they hold their hands up, tell the truth and assist in any investigation. First incident will usually result in a written warning.
A lot of deliveries are driver controlled and do not require the competent person to be in attendance as long as the paperwork is correctly filled out. Any garages where competent person is required to stand outside with the driver and they refuse to (which is rare) or more likely there is no one competent available then itā€™s simply a case of pulling the load away.
There is no requirement for multi coloured hoses. All checks should be visual and counter checked against paperwork. Correct compartment, correct grade into correct customer tank.
Itā€™s not rocket science but needs concentration and the ability to stay focused when doing the same task day in day out.

The nobbies guy I spoke to said that it was ā€œinstant dismissalā€ policy at that firm. I realize they might be working for this new yank firm now, but the workers are still sporting the old nobbie-liveried red shirts, so Iā€™m thinking the incumbent workforce has not had their old contracts ā€œvariedā€ by muchā€¦

Winseer:
the workers are still sporting the old nobbie-liveried red shirtsā€¦

XPO is red too so maybe thereā€™s no hurry to change[emoji16]

A photo I took when unloading showing how easy it is to get confused with several pipes running especially if they are intertwined. The firm stopped this by allowing only two pipes on each truck.
The chap in the photo is the bemused garage manager.

Iā€™ve never done tanker work, but it strikes me that there is a simple precaution to prevent wrong delivery.
Why not make the diesel connections either left hand thread, or bigger or smaller?
Not exactly brain surgery is it? :confused:

Numbum:
A photo I took when unloading showing how easy it is to get confused with several pipes running especially if they are intertwined. The firm stopped this by allowing only two pipes on each truck.

A lot of sites now say no more than 2 petrol going a timeā€¦ Bar stewards. Wish I had a long pipe like your one on pot 4:) Nice quick delivery though;) bet it took you longer to put all the pipes always than actually tip!

Would of been better to show the vapour recovery as well, will look even more confusing (apologies if you have all below level so canā€™t see, or they are all derv :wink: )

How old is this pic? Thought H&S had outlawed climbing up onto the tank these days.

Numbum:

Love this photo.

image.jpg

Todayā€™s equivalent, well around 10 years ago, just the 2 hoses.
Itā€™s the modern way.

image.jpg

Pimpdaddy:

Winseer:
the workers are still sporting the old nobbie-liveried red shirtsā€¦

XPO is red too so maybe thereā€™s no hurry to change[emoji16]

Hmmm, interesting, Ronald McDonald, another American doing quite well also wears red. A conspiracy theory for you Winseer?

My photo of unloading was taken quite a while ago and would have been a mixed load, 4 star unleaded and derv.
The trailer is fitted for vapour recovery but many garages at this time like this one had not been converted to use it. Even the loading depot never had bottom loading for a while and it had to be top loaded. As also noticed it was the time when we had to go on top the tank and show wet and dry dips. Should not have carried my camera really as it had a battery in it and was therefore banned.

fodentanker:

Numbum:

Love this photo.

The bad old days! Wet and dry dips and 2 / 3 splits per pot! You would be up and down those ladders like a rat down a drain pipeā€¦unless you timed your splits! :smiley: