Would you own/bring a gun if you could?

Franglais:
The US has many more guns than just about anywhere else.
It has more of it’s population locked up than anywhere else in the “free” world.
It has approx 5 homicides per 100,000 population compared to 1.1 in the UK.
Hands up, who thinks we would do well to copy them?

Franglais I think you have signed into the wrong forum. You speak far too much sense.

No way would I trust myself with a gun, far too easy to kill in the heat of the moment like that.
So no, as I would end up in prison.

WhiteTruckMan:
Two words - Tony Martin - tell you all you need to know about what authorities think about you attempting to defend you and your property against the proper scum of the world.

I was thinking exactly the same.
Bernard

Franglais:

dieseldog999:

WhiteTruckMan:
Two words - Tony Martin - tell you all you need to know about what authorities think about you attempting to defend you and your property against the proper scum of the world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+!
my point entirely…sad but true.

Tony Martin. The guy with an illegal pump action shotgun who shot unarmed intruders in the back?
He was allegedly the victim of repeat burglaries. I don’t think he was ever attacked himself?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
diddycoy vermin who had already burgled his home several times before did it again to the effect,that he defended his property correctly and paid the price for doing so.
im quite sure theres plenty of people who would support his actions if they found themselves in a similar situation apart from the fact that the law would switch to the side of the perp.
or,what would you do in a remote farmhouse in darkness when your aware a couple of vermin are burgling you downstairs.
he had the balls,or terror to deal with it with no loss to society.

and to be mores specific about guns in america.
there are no riots where local indigenous citezens self police their towns by walikg around locked and loaded in the vicinity of the lemmings thinking they are about to protest a tad too much till it kicks off.
idaho is the way to go.
that being the case,there would be no desecration of historic statues or monuments of great leaders and important people of our historical past.

Think I would stick with a couple of rotties

Odd days:
Think I would stick with a couple of rotties

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
with piles and aids… :wink:

Franglais:
It has more of it’s population locked up than anywhere else in the “free” world.

I appreciate that you added “just about” as a caveat, but as we all here on TN do so love a good statistic; apparently the highest amount per head of guns in the world (cue Clarkson voice) is in fact Switzerland! Who’d a thunked it?

the maoster:

Franglais:

I appreciate that you added “just about” as a caveat, but as we all here on TN do so love a good statistic; apparently the highest amount per head of guns in the world (cue Clarkson voice) is in fact Switzerland! Who’d a thunked it?

Ahh. But are they privately owned by largely untrained civilians? Or held by members of a trained militia?

Hmmm, not got the stats for that I’m afraid :smiley: :smiley:

Actually I heard from a friend who in turn is friends with a local butcher who once had a mate who fixed a car for a Swiss national that they all must go through military conscription and keep their firearms once they have left as they are on the reservist list for x number of years, which explains the “private” gun ownership.

I shall make further enquiries once I’ve depleted my current store of frankly delicious back bacon :wink:

Edit to add, I’ve made enquiries and it was indeed the water pump that caused the initial problem. Hth

dieseldog999:
i personally would think if the law was on my side to defend as in america then id lose little if any sleep injuring or disposing of a immigrant/diddycoy,or scallywag in general if they were of any threat whatsoever…wheres the loss ?

Given that soldiers who have mental conditioning for years by the military come out with all kinds of mental health issues following active service I’m calling armchair warrior bollox on that claim.

manalishi:
So a couple of dudes break into your drum with psychotic,drug fuelled intent one evening while you’re abed.You wouldn’t like to acquaint them with messrs Smith&Wesson,should things go a bit medieval?..is it me? :open_mouth:

Is that before or after they’ve shot me because they’ve come armed with their own guns as they expect the home owners could be armed, guns which they’re already holding in their hands and in a state of heightened alert and not asleep with a gun at least a few seconds from my hand?

Life isn’t like the movies.

Conor:

dieseldog999:
i personally would think if the law was on my side to defend as in america then id lose little if any sleep injuring or disposing of a immigrant/diddycoy,or scallywag in general if they were of any threat whatsoever…wheres the loss ?

Given that soldiers who have mental conditioning for years by the military come out with all kinds of mental health issues following active service I’m calling armchair warrior bollox on that claim.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you really have no clue about reality do you?

no doubt personal feelings of guilt riddled horror comes into play in various degrees,whereas those of is with absolutely no empathy at all would not lose a wink of sleep over the issue assuming the law allowed it.

creaming a diddycoy or taliban type immigrant/junkie/robber/burglar whilst taking away any issue of whos to blame afterwards isnt exactly lying in a field in flanders in ww1 being shelled for 3 months at a time,or creeping around vietnam with charlie out there on the wire.
the only thoughts would relate to how much grief plod would try to make stick afterwards.
if you were allowed to make your home your castle and do a tony martin to vermin burglars,then where would be the loss to society as a whole?
peek out the curtains and see a cpl of gypjops nicking your diesel?
bangbang,confirm theres no more in case you need to haul ■■■,and if not,curtains back shut and let the binmen clear up the residue with no concern for the thieving scumbags is the way it should work.
i dont shoot anything anymore as apart from the crap rules that followed dunblane and hungerford and took all the fun out of playing with my toys then i think they have a right to live,whereas human vermin in my opinion has not.
stop being a fanny and get a kip before you head off on your big night trunk.

i’ve voted ‘yes’. caravan dwellers causing havoc around my area…that’s all i’m saying.

WhiteTruckMan:

Here’s another two words.
Thomas Hamilton.
Anybody who wants to own a gun is off their head in my opinion.

Get an airsoft gun :wink:

they look real and yea can have someones eye out with it !! :laughing:

Conor:

manalishi:
So a couple of dudes break into your drum with psychotic,drug fuelled intent one evening while you’re abed.You wouldn’t like to acquaint them with messrs Smith&Wesson,should things go a bit medieval?..is it me? :open_mouth:

Is that before or after they’ve shot me because they’ve come armed with their own guns as they expect the home owners could be armed, guns which they’re already holding in their hands and in a state of heightened alert and not asleep with a gun at least a few seconds from my hand?

Life isn’t like the movies.

Good point sir.HK all the way for me though.

Mystery Action:

WhiteTruckMan:

Here’s another two words.
Thomas Hamilton.
Anybody who wants to own a gun is off their head in my opinion.

A whole can of worms to be opened on that scenario when the perps are long gone.

Conor:

manalishi:

On the other hand gun laws mean than no good law abiding person will be armed.
But it’s likely that the criminals will be if anyone is.You know because they are criminals and gun laws mean as much to them as any other law.It’s also moot if the criminals are much more likely to be armed with a knife.

Regarding the use of a gun for self defence, I recommend a book titled “In the Gravest Extreme” written by Massad Ayoob an American expert (a Police Firearms instructor in New Hampshire, a champion pistol shooter and with much experience of the justice system).

He explains the likely consequences of a civilian fatally shooting someone in self defence, also how to react to burglars and many other scenarios. He has appeared in courts to defend those who have received professional training.
The shooter may have preserved his own life, but faces a nightmare of Police investigations, court appearances, lawsuits from the victim’s family, much the same unpleasant experience as Tony Martin suffered here.

It is not so simple as many believe to justify a shooting, even in the USA. Here, it would be worse.

If you have a legal gun, the Old Bill know about it and you may be visited if there is a shooting nearby.
(In the 1980s a Police Sergeant was shot in Leeds: all FAC holders in Yorkshire were visited to check their guns for possible match to recovered bullets).

If they catch you with an illegal gun, the minimum term is 5 years inside. Unless you have a Firearms Certificate for other guns, in which case you are up for 10 years inside.

The only way you could use a gun with no personal consequences is to use an unregistered piece and not be connected through witnesses, forensics, CCTV or any other factors.

On that basis you have to be in the gravest extreme to use a gun.

Buckstones:
Regarding the use of a gun for self defence, I recommend a book titled “In the Gravest Extreme” written by Massad Ayoob an American expert (a Police Firearms instructor in New Hampshire

uslawshield.com/defend-property-texas/

citizenscount.org/issues/sta … e-doctrine