Would the Oz-cabbed Atki have made a good M/E motor?

It’s a while since this thread came up. However, ‘Star Down Under’ posted some good scans on another thread this morning so I thought I’d pop them on here as it makes a good archive.

At 01.jpg
At 02 (1).jpg
At 03.jpg
At 04.jpg

And while I’m at it, here’s another few items:

8274891232_a54c1690de_h.jpg
rtrain50.jpg

In response to the title question, yes I believe so. They could be specced as a single drive and adding a single wheel lazy would have posed no problems. The Plastic Cabs and later ACCO based models were way better than the Ivecos that replaced them.
A big advantage was being custom built, parts were plentiful and available at almost any corner store or independent mechanical shop or parts supplier. This may not have been applicable in Europe, to the same degree. As they shared all the major mechanical parts with White, Western Star and Kenworth, more than half the national fleet shared commonality.

Star down under.:
In response to the title question, yes I believe so. They could be specced as a single drive and adding a single wheel lazy would have posed no problems. The Plastic Cabs and later ACCO based models were way better than the Ivecos that replaced them.
A big advantage was being custom built, parts were plentiful and available at almost any corner store or independent mechanical shop or parts supplier. This may not have been applicable in Europe, to the same degree. As they shared all the major mechanical parts with White, Western Star and Kenworth, more than half the national fleet shared commonality.

Interesting post! It seems that the Australian Atkinson was definitely a different and better beast for the tough work. :sunglasses:

What is not reflected in the sales figures, is that the International ACCO 2670 was virtually the same truck as the 4870 Atkinson, thus detracting from the Big A’s sales.
The 2670 was generally a roomy day cab, but could be ordered with the sleeper version that was standard on the 4870.
The Inter had limited options, only 14L ■■■■■■■ was available rated from 250~350 hp (not hard to retune to 400+), choice of Road Ranger transmission and choice of Rockwell diff/s.
The Atkinson shared the cab, but it was only available as a sleeper and mounted slightly higher on the chassis. Trim level was slightly higher. Engines options were greater and included Detroit 8V92, which most seemed to be bought with. Wider choices were available for the driveline, also.
Both were honest, rugged, no frills work horses, without being spartan.
By bringing the two models closer and sharing cabs, in my opinion detracted from the premium perception of the Atkinson. It now shared the cab with all models from 4 tonnes capacity to top weight versions.
The weak point of these all steel cabs was their propensity to rust. Later models had galvanized cabs, however that only delayed the inevitable.
The last of the fibreglass cabs, (colloquially known as Plastic Cabs) was the 3800 Mk lll, as customisable as a Kenworth or White/Western Star. I believe this was the pinnacle of Atkinson’s offerings.
The earlier Mk ll had a propdensity to break the mainleaf of the front spring, close to the eye. If left unattended the second leaf could break, allowing the axle to run under and overturn the truck. This earned the model the nickname, Widowmaker. Many operators connected a chain from the axle to the front of the chassis/bullbar, to maintain control if the worst happened.

Star down under.:
What is not reflected in the sales figures, is that the International ACCO 2670 was virtually the same truck as the 4870 Atkinson, thus detracting from the Big A’s sales.
The 2670 was generally a roomy day cab, but could be ordered with the sleeper version that was standard on the 4870.
The Inter had limited options, only 14L ■■■■■■■ was available rated from 250~350 hp (not hard to retune to 400+), choice of Road Ranger transmission and choice of Rockwell diff/s.
The Atkinson shared the cab, but it was only available as a sleeper and mounted slightly higher on the chassis. Trim level was slightly higher. Engines options were greater and included Detroit 8V92, which most seemed to be bought with. Wider choices were available for the driveline, also.
Both were honest, rugged, no frills work horses, without being spartan.
By bringing the two models closer and sharing cabs, in my opinion detracted from the premium perception of the Atkinson. It now shared the cab with all models from 4 tonnes capacity to top weight versions.
The weak point of these all steel cabs was their propensity to rust. Later models had galvanized cabs, however that only delayed the inevitable.
The last of the fibreglass cabs, (colloquially known as Plastic Cabs) was the 3800 Mk lll, as customisable as a Kenworth or White/Western Star. I believe this was the pinnacle of Atkinson’s offerings.
The earlier Mk ll had a propdensity to break the mainleaf of the front spring, close to the eye. If left unattended the second leaf could break, allowing the axle to run under and overturn the truck. This earned the model the nickname, Widowmaker. Many operators connected a chain from the axle to the front of the chassis/bullbar, to maintain control if the worst happened.

here,s a couple of old photos of my ACCO 2670 …it had a 300 ■■■■■■■ with RR box … I always had a laugh about the ticket wired to the motor " ■■■■■■■ engine MADE IN SCOTLAND "

Similar to my 6x4 except mine was a 350BC, tickled up to 400. Originally had an RT12509 but when I wore that out, I replaced it with an RTO 14613.
The 4 spring Reyco would give the game away, every time I put a a bit of pudding on.

On seeing the picture of the Shell Atkinson roadtrain, does anyone remember probably back in the 70’s before television was wall to wall the then new BBC2 used to start with some public information films and the like. There was one which i think was made for Shell and it featured the Atkinson roadtrain operating in Australia. I’ve had a search on the net and have found a few from the archives but not the one with the Atkinson.

I’d love to see that if anyone knows of it. The Shell Australia Atkinson video.