Woodhead congestion the solution?

Latique:
what a load of old bollox grandnorthern.co.uk/

Shame they shut the railway in the first place, but it only lasted as long as it did because of the coal trains running from near Orgreave and Wath to Fiddlers Ferry power station. Amazing it was electrified in the 1950’s. Had it been to 25Kv ac it may have survived but done to 1500v dc.

Remember going over it in the late 1970’s on a diversionary service on a Sunday from Manchester Piccadilly. You could see the summit on the inside of the tunnel as the tunnel was lit.

A loss but I can’t see it coming back and the rolling highway concept to me is indeed a heap of old testicles.

dieseldog999:
sounds ideal
45 mins on the train preceeded by 6 hours queing up waiting to get on it,and another 2 hours trying to get off it.
then they might have a degree of difficulty in finding about 10 square miles at each end to park up the queue of trucks which would be at the mercy once again of the train drivers union with about 10 times as much h& insanity bollox than the shuttle operates under.
i wonder what the truck drivers meals would be to the equivalent of that stinking sweaty fish omelette …black pudding and fried whippet?

So…youre all for the idea then DD… :grimacing:

AndrewG:

SteveBarnsleytrucker:

AndrewG:
Motorail Dusseldorf to Innsbruck car train along he same lines, it used to go as far as Vienna.
Woodhead was always a pita even going back to the 80’s, i can imagine it could only have got a whole lot worse. The infrastructure for a truck train though looks long gone…
Are the big laybys with the tea wagons still there??

There’s only the one real big lay-by on Woodhead with the butty van in that’s on the Barnsley bound side just before you reach the climb on the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire border. It’s just after the memorial for a cyclist that was killed on there a few year ago. The only other lay-bys with butty vans in are the one at the side of the pub at Flouch and the one just after the Flouch roundabout heading towards Stocksbridge at Langsett.

Now you mention that climb i can picture it :wink: Its been a long time though since ive done Woodhead, possibly 1991…

An artic went over the barrier and down the steep bank at the other side about 2 week ago :open_mouth: he was coming from Manchester way though which got me thinking how he could’ve done it going up the climb. One of our drivers said the workers on the road said he had hit a shear of black ice due to a stream running across the road. I wonder how many have gone over the barriers and gone down the bank?

i aviod it as much as possible only use when im empty and know i can get over it without gettign stuck in traffic.even told tm that ill only use when its right u do not save time or fuel either way just as quick to go over 62 down the 1 most of the time.unles the make it wider and a better climb up nothing will change plus its bloody stupid to take wide loads over there cabins machinery.as they seem to use it a lot

thunder367:
i aviod it as much as possible only use when im empty and know i can get over it without gettign stuck in traffic.even told tm that ill only use when its right u do not save time or fuel either way just as quick to go over 62 down the 1 most of the time.unles the make it wider and a better climb up nothing will change plus its bloody stupid to take wide loads over there cabins machinery.as they seem to use it a lot

I went over yesterday, to get to the stockyard, due to the filling in of the potholes,which they only. noticed yesterday, been like it for weeks,

It was an absolute shambles, car broke down at end of 67, wagon with a puncture at Mottram lights, and then plopping car drivers, i left the layby on A56 at 1345 arrived at stockyard 1655. Kept it lit all way down the A56/M66/M60/M67, then chuffing ■■■■ all way over to M1.

A commuter tax, or a tax break for those who dont commute. Say a 30 mile radius.