Windscreen Obstructions

eagerbeaver:
Having a crap load of bright sunlight in your vision affects road safety.

You sound like you have too much time on your hands mate. Get involved in your local neighbourhood watch scheme. You sound perfect for it…

My truck is modern enough to have a pull down, and easily retractable sun visor. I also am advanced and young enough to know about sun-glasses!
Maybe a bit too high-tech for those who rely on bits of opaque plastic bolted on of course.
And sun-glasses etc don’t block that handy piece of visibility between the mirrors and A post. Quite useful for when professional drivers are entering roundabouts and may think it’s wise to look for traffic.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Gotta build the bodywork up to fit more lights on it…

Franglais:

eagerbeaver:
Having a crap load of bright sunlight in your vision affects road safety.

You sound like you have too much time on your hands mate. Get involved in your local neighbourhood watch scheme. You sound perfect for it…

My truck is modern enough to have a pull down, and easily retractable sun visor. I also am advanced and young enough to know about sun-glasses!
Maybe a bit too high-tech for those who rely on bits of opaque plastic bolted on of course.
And sun-glasses etc don’t block that handy piece of visibility between the mirrors and A post. Quite useful for when professional drivers are entering roundabouts and may think it’s wise to look for traffic.

Maybe you should have bestowed your infinite wisdom upon this seemingly incapable driver then mate. You could have educated him/her on the merits of being able to see at roundabouts :laughing: :unamused:

Maybe instead of the above (fearing a fat lip and told to go away after having a ■■■■ bottle emptied over your head), you chose to take a picture of the drivers wagon and post it on social media moaning about people breaking rules ffs :grimacing:

Dry your eyes and relax mate, you worry far too much.

I may as well add my contribution of fuel to the argument :smiley: :smiley: I absolutely detest the cab graffiti that passes as a paint job on today’s vehicles!! Ps I would have used the LORRY word, but that will cause trouble :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: Regards Kev.

Slightly off topic but it never ceases to amaze me how many car drivers have sat-navs stuck to the windscreen immediately in front of the faces :unamused:

Being a realist myself, and always taking a cynical view of any bloody thing that VOSA deems ‘unsafe’ (which as if by sheer coincidence is always something that is gonna raise cash :unamused: ) I can’t see a big problem of a couple of small items stuck on a windscreen 8 ft by 3 ft approx…I mean how much of a view do you need.
A trucktable is no more view blocking than that bloody stupid hazard sensor jobby in my Merc windscreen fitted as standard,.and they’re even wetting their undercrackers about dream catcher decs now ffs.

I belong to the 80s generation where flags and pennants were almost compulsory, ok… I wouldn’t have them now, but I don’t remember an epidemic of trucks running into things at that time either tbh.
Way I see it if it aint bothering my life I aint too fussed, so I’ll just sit back and let VOSA have and enjoy their power trip.

robroy:
Being a realist myself, and always taking a cynical view of any bloody thing that VOSA deems ‘unsafe’ (which as if by sheer coincidence is always something that is gonna raise cash :unamused: ) I can’t see a big problem of a couple of small items stuck on a windscreen 8 ft by 3 ft approx…I mean how much of a view do you need.
A trucktable is no more view blocking than that bloody stupid hazard sensor jobby in my Merc windscreen fitted as standard,.and they’re even wetting their undercrackers about dream catcher decs now ffs.

I belong to the 80s generation where flags and pennants were almost compulsory, ok… I wouldn’t have them now, but I don’t remember an epidemic of trucks running into things at that time either tbh.
Way I see it if it aint bothering my life I aint too fussed, so I’ll just sit back and let VOSA have and enjoy their power trip.

TBF anyone with a dream catcher should be caught because it’s just a matter of time before they commit a child ■■■ offence.

Ref robroys post flags were always handy. You could line them and use them to aim the ■■■■ thing with!
Regarding truck tables you can put them in any truck and still have more forward downward vision than you do in a Daf ssc unless you put 3 cushions on the seat.

tachograph:
Slightly off topic but it never ceases to amaze me how many car drivers have sat-navs stuck to the windscreen immediately in front of the faces :unamused:

+1

my favourite lemmings are the same ones with it stuck on daylight setting when they are on their night trunk…wassocks. :smiley:

Suedehead:

dieseldog999:
whats not to like?
the only ones who wouldnt wet their pants to drive it are the plobbers and agency wallahs trunking along with shop deliveries in their poverty spec dungheaps.

Earning more money and home every night .

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
why would you assume someone driving a nice truck n distance work would earn less money than the brain dead plobbing poverty spec trunkers?
our resident driving oracle god conor earns £11-50 per hour for his megatrunk turnround to lockerbie and back…hardly a kings ransom :unamused:

Franglais:

TheUncaringCowboy:

eagerbeaver:

Franglais:
I know this has been covered before, but I think this is an outstanding example.
Not only a lowered solid sunvisor and a raised base to the screen, but also the side windows has solid coloured wind deflectors.
Inside a full shelf on dash top, complete with coffee maker, mugs, decorations and of course a cuddly toy.

Just remind me how this affects you… :unamused:

It doesn’t, but someone has something nicer than him so the authorities must punish it back to Borg standards.

If a vehicle driver can’t properly see see signs, cars, pedestrians, redlights, etc it affects road safety.
That should be of concern to us all.

Can’t you two see that?

Yes, it certainly should be a concern to us all (road safety) but some don’t seem to care if it does not affect them for some strange reason.
Maybe if someone they knew was involved in an accident because a truck driver did not have correct vision they may see it differently.
Nothing stranger than folk as they say.

How many accidents have you seen as a result of windscreen obstruction Jake?

Oh, and also how many people do you know that got hurt as a result of a truck driver having a table on his/her dashboard?

Jakey me old mate…Just because VOSA say something is unsafe,.that does not make it true in reality, unless you believe everything they say and their hidden financially linked agendas of course :unamused: just remembered your also a Police fan, so hey maybe you do…not on about Sting and his mates. btw. :smiley:

If there’s a bloody great laptop covering a square foot or something, ok yeh, it’s genuinely unsafe.
A bit of tat, or a sat nav or whatever covering a couple of inches or so, of a bloody great truck screen is not unsafe in the true definition of the word and in the real world mate…unless you are half blind, an idiot or a half blind idiot that is.

I once picked a truck up with a bloody great Rangers flag in the centre of the screen with a number plate with the guy’s name on stuck under it covering about 2 foot of screen, first thing I did was take it down, as that was unsafe, on the other hand we had a guy on here advocating for clear see through sat navs and holders ffs, if anybody needs that level of vision to that extent, maybe they should not be driving.

the maoster:
Re the swept area and ignoring my dashcam and the companies forward facing camera what about the great big factory fit sensor thingy in the middle of the screen? Has anyone ever heard of the authorities challenging these?

Everytime our truck go for test, they come back with all the toll boxes removed from the windscreen and they take up far less room than those cameras. :confused:

few years ago i nearly hit someone who had stepped off the kerb because i hadnt seen them,they were in my periphery . i put this down to odds and ends on my dash distracting my view. it was a close call and iv made sure ever since nothing restricts my view

I just presumed it was a Muslim truck and was wearing a hibab dishwasher or whatever they’re called

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

robroy:
unless you are half blind, an idiot or a half blind idiot that is.

Please don’t involve me :smiley: :smiley:

Just because VOSA say something is unsafe,.that does not make it true in reality,

Firstly I hope you do not think I was having a dig at you with my earlier post because I wasn’t. I agree just because VOSA say something is unsafe it does not make it true.
I did not think I had ever said that but let’s look at the reality in an unbiased way!

Most days I read on social media about dangerous vehicles that are stopped on the roads.Now we are talking about serious defects that are extremely dangerous and thankfully these vehicles and drivers are dealt with. There are probably plenty others who are missed. Would you rather VOSA just packed up and went home and let all these idiots drive their dangerous vehicles?
Maybe do away with the old bill at the same time eh :wink:

However the truck posted by the OP (windscreen) or lack of it would not be deemed as a serious defect but it certainly may have implications on the drivers visibility I would say.
Do you not agree? Let’s face it the extra bling on that truck is only done for one reason and it certainly ain’t to help road safety…

The only thing that obstucts my windsceen is my laptop when watching dvd on a long trunk and my feet on dashboard when cruise control is set.