Why did British Leyland fail?

Carryfast:

ghosttrain:
Sorry don’t agree, they continued to turn out rubbish compared to Scania and Volvo which the most prosperous companies of the time used ( I did have a Mandator for a time and it was comparable to '60s types). Poor reliability and years behind the times. The MOD were stuck with what the government told them they could buy.

Blimey so there was actually a Scania on the market which would have done a better job of hauling Challengers around than the Commander could for less money. :open_mouth:

Which Scania would that have been considering the actual comparison in spec that you’re going to need to even match it :question: .

As for poor reliabilty and years behind the times you’re actually talking about a point in time when many/most British operators/customers preferred day cabbed Gardner powered heaps to anything which Leyland might otherwise have been able to put on the drawing board instead.So they left it to DAF to provide for the more far sighted euro market who,no surprise,then together with the Scandinavians amongst others cleaned up in the British market when the Brit customers eventually realised that the early 20 th century was over.

Didn’t say they were cheaper, I said the MOD were restricted on what they could buy (and still are) by the government. How many commanders have you seen hauling ordinary freight? Not many but I’m sure the Scania company would have gladly provided a fit for purpose 140, 141, 142 etc or whichever series was about at any given time.

Not all hauliers stuck totally (Western Transport Bristol for instance had a mix) with the dross the UK turned out but Leyland, Atki etc continued on blindly. I’ve suffered a Mandator, 2 Sed Acks, an ERF (my back and hearing are testament) but thankfully moved on to Scanies, DAF’s and a Volvo and in all that time didn’t have one British truck that wasn’t a pig. But we can all have our own opinions.

Carryfast:

Muckaway:
BL cars were so crap it’s amazing to see so many Marinas and Itals still around.

I’ve got an (admittedly modified but nothing that wasn’t available at the time) old early 1980’s (1970’s design) Jag that says you’re wrong unless that is you know a way to make a BMW built at the same time (assuming you can find one that hasn’t rusted away) using it’s original zb Ford type steering set up and Mc Pherson strut front and semi trailing arm rear type suspension run at the same speed with the same handling and straight line stability.But don’t bother using an M5 of the time because it still wouldn’t be fast enough. :laughing:

However if you really prefer the BMW suspension set up there was always the much cheaper 1970’s Triumph 2.5 instead although Leyland did throw in rack and pinion steering as a no cost extra on that as standard. :wink:

Yeah but the xj was designed by jaguar before the bl debacle and was a great design and the triumph was a good sporting saloon designed by triumph before bl became the dinosaur it ended up as.
Look at the more mainstream models the mini was past it’s sell by date by 1970 the allegro Marina maxi and princes although other than the Marina all innovate designs were nowhere as near as good as other stuff on the Market.

Carryfast:

scaniaontheroad:
British Leyland failed because of the Government and unions and a load of lazy (zbs) who thought they would have jobs for life!!.Just like it is here now in Canada!!!.

You seem to have forgotten that Thatcher won the 1979 election and everything here since has all been about her tory utopia of the global free market economy with the resulting massive trade deficit and wages lagging behind prices and unions that are too weak to do anything about it and look where the economy is now. :unamused:

Maggie took power in 1979 and had all the ■■■■ that the Labour gov had left behind,just like that last labour gov has left you all in,the one i left behind because they would rather look after our ethnic cousins than there own stock,ones who had worked hard and PAID into the system all there working life and when times came due to an accident couldnt get enough out of the system to pay his mortgage never mind feed his family!!!.

Wheel Nut:

ramone:

Wheel Nut:
Unfortunately, any time I think of British Leyland nowadays reminds me of the famous sink plughole :blush: It is embarrasing

Ha ha Wheel Nut, i never noticed that before , the only problem with it is that it only has a L in the middle bearing in mind how many good companies they took down with them having said that the logo would have to be big to get all those companies initials on it . :wink:

It was supposed to have been drawn by a junior draughtsman after a pub lunch and his thoughts about the merged company. One of the top brass liked the design without realising what he had commissioned.

True story or Not. I like the idea!

First post. The logo was designed by a chap called John Beck who had a degree in design. He was one of 12 graduates recruited by Leyland in 1964 on the same day I joined as a Student Apprentice. He left and went to Ford.

And yes, it was dubbed the “Flying ■■■■■■■”. In my view it should not have had the “L” in the centre.

The Flying Aerosol logo is still alive and kicking! I’ve just returned from a trip to India and it remains Ashok-Leyland’s logo which is still evident on workshops and adverts along the main roads. :wink: Robert

Tomdhu:

Wheel Nut:

ramone:

Wheel Nut:
Unfortunately, any time I think of British Leyland nowadays reminds me of the famous sink plughole :blush: It is embarrasing

Ha ha Wheel Nut, i never noticed that before , the only problem with it is that it only has a L in the middle bearing in mind how many good companies they took down with them having said that the logo would have to be big to get all those companies initials on it . :wink:

It was supposed to have been drawn by a junior draughtsman after a pub lunch and his thoughts about the merged company. One of the top brass liked the design without realising what he had commissioned.

True story or Not. I like the idea!

First post. The logo was designed by a chap called John Beck who had a degree in design. He was one of 12 graduates recruited by Leyland in 1964 on the same day I joined as a Student Apprentice. He left and went to Ford.

And yes, it was dubbed the “Flying [zb]”. In my view it should not have had the “L” in the centre.

Are you gonna share your experiences with us , where did you work ,what was your job ■■?

And yes, it was dubbed the “Flying [zb]”. In my view it should not have had the “L” in the centre.
[/quote]
Are you gonna share your experiences with us , where did you work ,what was your job ■■?
[/quote]
Sure, I aim to make more contributions in future - particularly to the question of why Leyland failed but suffice to say I joined aged 18 as a student apprentice. 12 students and 12 graduates were taken on each year after 1964 when the Road Industry Training Board linked with manufacturers and transport operators to provide properly structured training. Most of the students were sons of prominent hauliers, bus operators or dealers. I was one with no transport connections whatsoever.
We all lived in an uncomfortable old Victorian mansion called Wellington House. This was replaced by a modern facility called Stokes Hall. There was an in-house garage/workshop there, where, in our spare time we repaired and renovated our vehicles. I had a Tiger Cub. I seem to recall, one chap was rebuilding an Alvis Silver Eagle from chassis up.

We students did “thin sandwich” courses in mechanical engineering ie 6 months in college and 6 months in management/technical training. I went to Harris College Preston whilst a few ( brighter ones) went to Cranwell. After qualifying, I went into International Division and spent 4 years in Sales and Marketing. Most time was spent working on large tenders from governments and fleets. Interesting work speccing up trucks and buses and learning about operating conditions overseas plus finance, contracts credit and shipping etc. It involved lots of travel - my area was Anglophone and Portuguese Africa plus Israel and Mauritius. These were the days of when the likes of Bernard Pickup (Uk Sales), Trevor Webster and Louis Portman and many other characters were making a name for Leyland.

I then was posted to Africa to run one of Leyland’s wholly owned subsidiaries which imported, assembled and retailed selected models from the range. We never imported (thankfully) any with an Ergomatic shed on and most of our sales were Chieftains, Clydesdales and Reivers. These were good machines and made us market leaders in the light to medium sectors. Then initially we had Super Beavers and Super Hippos which were primitive and under-powered against the Merc 1924 and 2624. We fought back initially with the Crusader 6x4 with 8V71s and Fuller boxes and latterly the Scammel S26 with the ■■■■■■■ 350/400 with, Jake brakes, Fuller boxes and Rockwell axles. They were grossing between 50 and 85 tons. We handled a few specials too like 6x6 Scammels, Fire/crash tenders, refuellers etc. The whole operation was highly profitable as were all Leyland’s overseas subsidiaries.
I was there for 17 years then took a year’s sabbatical during which time Leyland in the UK went bust, but then that’s another story for another day.

Tomdhu:

And yes, it was dubbed the “Flying [zb]”. In my view it should not have had the “L” in the centre…

Well it sounds like you had a great job and some fascinating tales to tell , was it just your section that didnt import the ergos im sure i`ve seen ergos in Africa. How about Stokes are the stories regarding him true?

Tomdhu:

Sure, I aim to make more contributions in future - particularly to the question of why Leyland failed but suffice to say I joined aged 18 as a student apprentice. 12 students and 12 graduates were taken on each year after 1964 when the Road Industry Training Board linked with manufacturers and transport operators to provide properly structured training. Most of the students were sons of prominent hauliers, bus operators or dealers. I was one with no transport connections whatsoever.
We all lived in an uncomfortable old Victorian mansion called Wellington House. This was replaced by a modern facility called Stokes Hall. There was an in-house garage/workshop there, where, in our spare time we repaired and renovated our vehicles. I had a Tiger Cub. I seem to recall, one chap was rebuilding an Alvis Silver Eagle from chassis up.

We students did “thin sandwich” courses in mechanical engineering ie 6 months in college and 6 months in management/technical training. I went to Harris College Preston whilst a few ( brighter ones) went to Cranwell…

Welcome to the madhouse, Tomdhu. I note that the academic part of the training was done at (what I assume were) technical colleges, rather than “ordinary” universities. The redbricks/London/Oxbridge all offered mechanical engineering degree courses plus, I guess, legal and commercial education.

In addition to that, the students seem to have been selected on the basis that their parents were potential customers. The training seems to be highly desirable- the facilities and career prospects sound great. You would hope that such privileges were distributed on merit, for the good of all.

Am I getting close to the answer to the question in the original post?

[zb]
anorak:

Tomdhu:

We students did “thin sandwich” courses in mechanical engineering ie 6 months in college and 6 months in management/technical training. I went to Harris College Preston whilst a few ( brighter ones) went to Cranwell…

Welcome to the madhouse, Tomdhu. I note that the academic part of the training was done at (what I assume were) technical colleges, rather than “ordinary” universities. The redbricks/London/Oxbridge all offered mechanical engineering degree courses plus, I guess, legal and commercial education.

In addition to that, the students seem to have been selected on the basis that their parents were potential customers. The training seems to be highly desirable- the facilities and career prospects sound great. You would hope that such privileges were distributed on merit, for the good of all.

I think it is appropriate here to understand tertiary education in the early sixties. Then only about 15% of school-leavers went to university, whereas today around 50% go to so–called universities. Getting a university place then, as we original baby-boomers found, was much more difficult. There were some pretty bright students there. One had 4x"A" and 10x"O" levels but couldn’t get in to Uni.

Later many technical colleges (eg Harris College, Preston), where we went, were converted into todays universities as part of Labour’s promise to give 50% of school leavers a university place.
The mix of formal study and practical education provided by the “thin-sandwich” education then was a good way of developing versatile and competent management with an engineering background.

The elite university graduate intake, which was run alongside the student intake, was intended to provide the future senior management. They had graduated in a wide variety of disciplines and went into areas such as finance, design, project management etc. etc. One name that springs to mind is Keith Hemmings who designed the Leyland National monocoque bus body. The graduate intake started in 1964 but arguably should have been launched many years earlier.

Had it been started earlier, Leyland would have had better financial management. This was only rectified when John Barber came on board and brought in several accounting staff from Ford who provided more comprehensive management accounting capability.

Most of the student intake departed the company soon after graduating, having developed away from their father’s business. Some of their parents were dealer principals, major bus/truck operators and even other motor manufacturers. Some left because they were snatched up by competitors and other manufacturing companies. They were not all from transport- one was the son of the founder of a major aircraft company. Another was son of a director of BRS. There were some additional students who were the relatives of the overseas elite e.g. sons of maharajahs, politicians fleet operators etc etc

I do believe this paid off in business terms over the years. We had contacts all round the world in these days.

I had no such privileged background and so I joined Leyland with a view to developing an entire career there- which I did until the company collapsed in 1993. I know of only one or two my peers who did likewise.

Apart from the technical educational aspects, it was also about networking, building up skills and relationships in industry and establishing brand loyalty. I believe this was common practice in industry at that time.

ramone:

Tomdhu:

And yes, it was dubbed the “Flying [zb]”. In my view it should not have had the “L” in the centre…

Well it sounds like you had a great job and some fascinating tales to tell , was it just your section that didnt import the ergos im sure i`ve seen ergos in Africa. How about Stokes are the stories regarding him true?

As I recall, only South Africa imported ergo models. There were a very, very few secondhand ergo (private) imports in other parts but not in East and Central Africa. We were doing CKD Chieftain, Clydesdale and Reiver and didn’t have the jigs to do the ergo line. After the LAD cab we went straight to the Bathgate cabbed ( G Cab) models for which we purchased the jigs. We then added Boxer and Terriers to the list. Later we got the jigs for the small T45 styled cab. All our Scammels came in fully built up.

I will comment on Stokes in a separate post but I’ll give him credit for seeing the threat from the continentals early on. He really had it in for Mercedes in a global context, but more on that later.

Tomdhu:

[zb]
anorak:

Tomdhu:

I think it is appropriate here to understand tertiary education in the early sixties. Then only about 15% of school-leavers went to university, whereas today around 50% go to so–called universities. Getting a university place then, as we original baby-boomers found, was much more difficult. There were some pretty bright students there. One had 4x"A" and 10x"O" levels but couldn’t get in to Uni.

Later many technical colleges (eg Harris College, Preston), where we went, were converted into todays universities as part of Labour’s promise to give 50% of school leavers a university place.
The mix of formal study and practical education provided by the “thin-sandwich” system then was a good way of developing versatile and competent management with an engineering background.

The elite university graduate intake, which was run alongside the student stream, was intended to provide the future senior management. They had graduated in a wide variety of disciplines and went into areas such as finance, design, project management etc. etc. One name that springs to mind is Keith Hemmings who designed the Leyland National monocoque bus body. The graduate intake started in 1964 but arguably should have been launched many years earlier.

Had it been started earlier, Leyland would have had better financial management. This was only rectified when John Barber came on board and brought in several accounting staff from Ford who provided more comprehensive management accounting capability.

Most of the student intake departed the company after graduating, having developed away from their father’s business. Some of their parents were dealer principals, major bus/truck operators and even other motor manufacturers. Some left because they were snatched up by competitors and other manufacturing companies. They were not all from the transport sector - one was the son of the founder of a major aircraft company. Another was son of a director of BRS. There were some additional students who were the relatives of the overseas elite e.g. sons of maharajahs, politicians, fleet operators etc etc

I do believe this paid off in business terms over the years. We had contacts all round the world in these days.

I had no such privileged background and so I joined Leyland with a view to developing an entire career there- which I did until the company collapsed in 1993. I know of only one or two my peers who did likewise.

Apart from the technical educational aspects, it was also about networking, building up skills and relationships in industry and establishing brand loyalty. I believe this was common practice in industry at that time.

Tomdhu:

ramone:

Tomdhu:

As I recall, only South Africa imported ergo models. There were a very, very few secondhand ergo (private) imports in other parts but not in East and Central Africa. We were doing CKD Chieftain, Clydesdale and Reiver and didn’t have the jigs to do the ergo line. After the LAD cab we went straight to the Bathgate cabbed ( G Cab) models for which we purchased the jigs. We then added Boxer and Terriers to the list. Later we got the jigs for the small T45 styled cab. All our Scammels came in fully built up.

I will comment on Stokes in a separate post but I’ll give him credit for seeing the threat from the continentals early on. He really had it in for Mercedes in a global context, but more on that later.

Sounds intriguing can`t wait for your next post :wink:

Carryfast will be tearing up Wikipedia and you tube to tell this fella he is wrong. :smiley:

kr79:
Carryfast will tell this fella he is wrong. :smiley:

To be fair ( so far ) his memories seem to support the idea that the Ergo was a piece of junk,an ‘engineering’ apprenticeship didn’t mean the need for a university education,and that Stokes wasn’t to blame. :wink: I’m betting that further information will probably ( rightly ) put the blame more with the financial/investment side of the equation and possibly a few mistakes made by designers like Issigonis and at AEC etc.Than anything done wrong by the general workforce from top to bottom at the front line of trying to keep the whole thing afloat,especially in the case of Jaguar/Rover/Triumph car division and Scammell in the case of Leyland Trucks division. :bulb:

kr79:
Carryfast will be tearing up Wikipedia and you tube to tell this fella he is wrong. :smiley:

…or, alternatively, cite the new posts as evidence that he was right all along, whether the text matches his imaginings or not. :laughing:

HI, Folks we ran A E C and Leyland when they were on there own , Soon as the ERGO cab came out and it became BL ,THEN it all went down hill ,the rads were to small ,overheating head gaskets ,then the F J ENGINE on is side that was the nail in the coffin , Cheers Barry

b.waddy:
HI, Folks we ran A E C and Leyland when they were on there own , Soon as the ERGO cab came out and it became BL ,THEN it all went down hill ,the rads were to small ,overheating head gaskets ,then the F J ENGINE on is side that was the nail in the coffin , Cheers Barry

The FJ must have cost BL an absolute fortune Barry, at our BMC dealership we spent all our time modifying the cooling system to factory designs trying to eliminate airlocks, replacing headgaskets, liner seals etc. The Longbridge built engines were not too bad, the Bathgate ones were hopeless as the workforce seemingly couldn’t get the tolerances right and turned engines out with dropped liners. Even factory replacement engine’s were blowing water out when we ran them up in the workshop, I think I fitted two in one truck before the vehicle turned a wheel and even that one didn’t last many months before it was scrap. Then they turned the engine vertical, put a different rad on them and things improved slightly, yet the same engine in the previous FHK models (with a vertical radiator instead of the horizontal FJ one ) had been virtually trouble free!

Pete.

IIRC it was the same engine in the BMC Laird. We used to say: “it lays over on its side and pants its heart out”.

cav551:
IIRC it was the same engine in the BMC Laird. We used to say: “it lays over on its side and pants its heart out”.

Yes, the same but with all the cooling system mods already done which didn’t make the slightest difference! A shame as in vertical form in the old FFK etc it was known as a good pulling engine compared to the Ford 6D and Bedford 330 but laying it over and altering the cylinder layout made the blocks weaker and with less coolant space around the liners. A side flow radiator just compounded the problem, most of the the FJ series testing was done in Finland where I imagine high temperatures were not an issue!

Pete.