Who is U.K.s oldest truck driver still working.?

Those old boys make me seem young…i am 71, and still on international work…down as far as bulgaria…i also make the same trip by car as i have a home on the black sea coast…uyears ago though, one wasnt allowed to venture off the TIR route…otherwise we would have spent more time by the sea…

I think all drivers who work in the haulage industry should be retired by the time they
are 60 years old or earlier and no later than 65 years old. Especially in this day and age.
As they need to spend there twilight years relaxing and enjoying their well deserved retirement.
Especially if they were driving in the Sixties, Seventies or even in the Eighties when it was really long hours
and hard work hand ball loading and unloading then roping and sheeting in all weathers.

lczjs:
I think all drivers who work in the haulage industry should be retired by the time they
are 60 years old or earlier and no later than 65 years old. Especially in this day and age.
As they need to spend there twilight years relaxing and enjoying their well deserved retirement.
Especially if they were driving in the Sixties, Seventies or even in the Eighties when it was really long hours
and hard work hand ball loading and unloading then roping and sheeting in all weathers.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: i’m doing longer hours now than i ever did ffs 12 and half hr max in the '80’s no nights out roping sheeting or any of that stuff! 15 hrs max now.an old boy ex-colleague still working full time oap and loving every minute of it big Scanny artic tipper.doubt if he has any plans to sit in his armchair by the fireside and die of boredom!

lczjs:

Well said that man, me?? 49 years on the road, what time there is left is all mine. Hell, now I’d struggle to mount up, and they can stuff their auto gearboxes up their jacksy. :smiley:
Fullers…for men. :grimacing:

Shouldn’t this be Who is the daftest oldest truck driver still working! I officially retire tomorrow, a little early at 64 but I took advantage of an early retirement package. Although I stopped driving distance at the end of the 90’s that time was enough for me, a thankless task that had long lost its appeal by then and being regarded as King’s of the Road had long past in fact we were and still are thought of as a nuisance to other road users and even most of the places you collected and delivered to couldn’t be bothered to pass the time of day with you, I can’t imagine its any better today and I just wouldn’t have the patience anymore.
The last twenty years I’ve spent back in the workshop for the Emergency Services, the hours and routine suited fine for my final working years and although I did plenty HGV driving around our operational area I had no compulsion to spend hours in the cab, not that Fire vehicles take much handling on routine runs, I even flicked the switch on the gear stick to manual just so it felt like I was doing something. My only regret was I never got to use my Class One in anger since hanging up my ropes and that finally runs out next year. I might sound negative on this but the choice of retirement or driving is a no brainer and as far as sitting at home bored is concerned then that couldn’t be farther from the truth. My best memories will be as a youngster sitting in the passenger seat while Dad did all the driving and when they were more thought of. Franky.

Not one of the oldest but coming up 68, semi retired when I got to 65 & now just do a trip a week out Wed Back Thurs & still enjoy it. Not the same these days but the 2 days are just enough & if it wasnt for us oldies a lot of North east firms would struggle for drivers nobody wants to do it these days. I have other interests which include a couple of vintage moters which keep me busy but I have just been on the sick for 4mth with a broken Femur & hip but couldnt wait to get back to work.
Each to there own but i enjoy my life as it is including the 4 or 5 Hols i have a yr, what works for some does`nt work for others again it works for me.

So, I’m coming up 68 just went for medical on Tuesday no probs, working Sunday and Monday just can’t say no, am I greedy or stupid? but for the money on offer it would be silly to say no, don’t under sell your selves guys there’s work out there but as always it’s for a company delivering their own product not some monkey “logistics provider”

I retired 27 years ago when i was 51 and i dont regret it for 1 minute.I was on the road for 35 yrs the last 21 yrs on, gas tankers.I certainly would not like to be driving a lorry these days, i still do lot of travelling but its in an A380 jet.I always enjoyed my time on the road but was glad to leave it behind.iI couldnt imagine driving for a living now.cheers Ted.

I’m still working at 69, not full time I admit but as and when for an agency. I don’t know about anyone else but I like to eat and drink and drive my car and you can’t do that on £700 a month State Pension.

I’ll be 74 in couple of months time and still doing two night trunks a week.
Just working from one medical to the next, not on any medication, don’t wear my specs since having my cataracts done, don’t see any reason why I shouldn’t pass the next.