What are your tips for dealing with first day nerves?

Palletline? Mmm, that will be fun :slight_smile: more challenging! It wont be a 7 hour day for you tomorrow.

The quarry didn’t work out for me. So far i have done an 8 hour trunk run to wigan on Sunday and a 12 hour shift today in doing multi drop home delivery (41 drops! Yikes! ). I have an interview at r swain and sons on Monday for my first class 1 job. Pete, i may be booking my refresher training with you sooner than i had planned :slight_smile:

Did you get the job jbaz73 at swains??
If you did how’s it going??

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Hello matey, yes I got the job at Swains. Sadly it didn’t last too long. They pay you on a very odd scheme of bonuses and not an hourly rate. I did the math and some days I was on considerably less than minimum wage. Added to which, taking the time to strap your loads is frowned upon (not officially but you will get “what are you doing? Why is it taking so long? You don’t need to do that “ phone calls

Upshot was that I had a long hard think about what I wanted and took a shunters job.

Sheffield-Will:
Not a bad first day all in all. Arrived at the depot in the early hours and spent the first 10 minutes walking around the massive deserted building before stumbling across the transport office tucked away in the corner. Very helpful person showed me out the vehicle, showed me the fridge controls and gave me written instruction on where I’m going, recommended routes, phone numbers etc.

My first ever route ended up taking an 18t rigid along the Woodhead Pass - thankfully I know already how tricky it is due to doing it on the motorbike a few times which helped.

Got to the other end and pulled up to the loading bay and waited. And waited. Eventually FLT came over but said he wasn’t insured to get on my truck(■■ - RDC, not a customer) so had to use pallet truck to move pallets to the rear to be offloaded. 10 pallets to go back which were easily secured and then off home - 4 hours driving, 7 hours total on the clock.

Different company tomorrow- multi-drops for Palletline.

I drive forklifts at my full-time job and we are not allowed to get on truck to help driver for HS reasons.

My first job when I left the Army was as a Coalman driving a class 3 wagon. I imagine some guys on here have done that job as well and know how hard grafting it is! On the Friday of my first week I decided it was my last day as I couldn’t hack it: I had muscles I didn’t even know I had aching, including my finger muscles, I could hardly grip anything as it hurt.

I don’t like to fail but it was getting the better of me. Then I looked over at Alf: old guy - Think he was 72 if I remember and he just spaded coal into 100 weight bags all day every day for customers who came into the yard, loaded their vehicles with it, helped us delivery men out loading our trucks etc. no problem at all and I thought to myself if a guy nearly half a century older than me can do it, so can I. It was down to knowing the right way to do the job - anyone done coal work will know it’s as much about technique than it is just brute force. I didn’t leave and stuck at it for 3 years.

I learned an important lesson that day which I’ve never forgot and that’s if the average Joe Bloggs can do something, then I’m ■■■■ sure I can. You just have to start anything with that overused cliche of a ‘can do’ attitude.