Weekly rest ferry interruption

tachograph:

Hurryup&wait:
A simplistic “Cannot” interrupt weekend rest doesn’t cut it as when my 45 is up I usually drive to and on the ferry using the 2 interruptions while still on weekly rest.

Not legally you don’t, you cannot legally interrupt a weekly rest period therefore your working week starts when you start your journey to the port.

Part 1: I don’t yet agree with you on this point.

I think you are holding the view once you start a weekly rest it continues to infinity unless one of the non rest modes are selected on the tacho.

I am of the view that when the 45 hours are complete I am then just on rest thereafter, not weekly rest.

If I have a 4 day weekend it may qualify as two regular weekly rests and a full week off may qualify as three and not a single continuous weekly rest.

In the case of the week off (Fri-Mon) my three regular weekly rests were definitely interrupted by other rest periods.

Thus in my opinion, when I have a clear 45 completed I can start day 1 with a ferry interruption just like I can start day 4 exactly the same way. …Thoughts■■?

Part 2: I am completely stumped by the guidance note stating you can take weekly rest on a ferry or moreso how to achieve it.

Surely the brief interruption and required extension of rest to allow you off the boat is much more preferable to the social and safety legislators though I accept the 144 hour requirement you pointed out above.

Do you have to spend 24-45 hours on board without interruption?

As this could be achieved by such a tiny percentage of the driver population on a handful of routes surely they didn’t write special legislation for this couple of drivers alone■■?

24 hours isn’t easy on a Dover ferry, but is quite possible elsewhere. The old Bari and Brindisi ferries were not quick, and the Superfast out of Ancona covered a lot of distance in 24 hours. Bilbao and Santander are over 24 hrs.
Sicily / Genoa is another one. I’m sure others know more, so it’s not that rare I think.
On your first point…
Sounds more like a philosophical debating point than an interpretation of the rule book to me, mate.
Sorry! [emoji2]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Franglais:
24 hours isn’t easy on a Dover ferry, but is quite possible elsewhere. The old Bari and Brindisi ferries were not quick, and the Superfast out of Ancona covered a lot of distance in 24 hours. Bilbao and Santander are over 24 hrs.
Sicily / Genoa is another one. I’m sure others know more, so it’s not that rare I think.
On your first point…
Sounds more like a philosophical debating point than an interpretation of the rule book to me, mate.
Sorry! [emoji2]

The longest ferries I have done are 18-20 hour mark and I like it if on passenger ship but a long freight only sailing is life wasted especially on poor seas with my delicate sea legs so Immingham is not even on my map.

Returning to point one however about commencing with a ferry movement once my weekly rest is complete.

I have read of a few clever guys here that go off to Thailand etc for 1-6 months which sounds fantastic.

Now lets say I started my weekly rest and I have returned 6 months later from Thailand.

I put in my card, enter resting until now and select a ferry interruption.

I do my daily inspection drive to port get on the ferry with the total interruption of rest is less that 1 hour.

Ferry docks in La France 6 hours later which is 8 hours after I put in my card.

I now start my normal day and 8 hours later I meet a control and you are the head controller.

You see I have 28 days cards, no exceeding of 144 hours duty between weekly rests.

You see I broke my rest 16 hours earlier with a ferry interruption of less than an hour and you have my ferry embarkment card and currently I am on duty 8 hours.

Surely you are a happy camper or do you see a problem?

I know for a fact if I had also been working yesterday there would be no problem but you guys are saying that is only because I interrupted a regular daily rest.

This time you guys are saying that although I was 6 months in Thailand, my holiday commenced with a weekly rest which I cannot interrupt with a ferry movement even 6 months later.

Now I’m not clever enough to be philosophical but I think there is no problem here.

So is the conversation to be " Probléme Chauffeur…Un café Monsieur■■?" or “Bonne Route”.

Thanks for engaging in the discussion because I use this type of scenario whenever I can and you guys have me going down the road a bit more nervous now that I used to be.

Coffee break so just a quick reply.
Your Control Stop after 6 months on the beach sounds fine. Might not be so good after a “short weekend” or two as in your previous scenarios?
Controls now are normally simply sticking the drivers card into a laptop. The computer will display in Red any problems. Now, it’s up to you to argue with the Coppers/Ministry Mentioned that the computer is wrong if it picks up on anything. They do have discretion to some extent, but a couple of francs for a coffee won’t go far today!
I don’t know how their side of it works? Are they debriefed after shifts? If they let someone off, after the computer sees an offence, is there an enquiry?
As I’ve said before I’m only a driver and not an expert.

I’ve got that erong already ! Hold on

On your first trip after the hols you
Start a shift when you do your walk round.
You are on the road when you are stopped for a Control 16 hrs later.
In that period you have not had a Daily Rest Period.
Looking at that I think you’re in trouble.
If you delayed leaving the port in France after debarquing so you had 11hrs plus interruption then I think you’d be OK.
Coffee break over. I’ll look closer later.